Straightening a shaft.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went to the range last night and noticed my 4 iron has a slight bend in it half way up the shaft.

So far it just seems cosmetic damage but was just wondering if i could get it straightend or would it be best to get a new shaft fitted?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a bent shaft in my first set of clubs, was a pretty standard shaft and cost £15 for replacement and installation. All depends on the shaft you need to replace!

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a bent shaft in my first set of clubs, was a pretty standard shaft and cost £15 for replacement and installation. All depends on the shaft you need to replace!

It's a Projext X rifle shaft and i've had a quick look on the internet and it looks around £20 for a shaft.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went to the range last night and noticed my 4 iron has a slight bend in it half way up the shaft.

So far it just seems cosmetic damage but was just wondering if i could get it straightend or would it be best to get a new shaft fitted?

If you decide you're going down the replacement route, try straightening it first (you'll have nothing to lose if it goes wrong). Use the inside of some loo roll (or something similar) place the shaft at the point it's bent against the roll and on the side of a desk, push and see if it straightens.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If it is bent it has passed it's point of elasticity which basically means that the stresses placed on the shaft have been sufficient to stop the metal returning to its natural or manufactured shape.

The shaft will be both weakened and possibly deformed, (ovaled), therefore I would recommend you replace the shaft

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's going to have a weak spot even if you can get it back to reasonably stright. Not worth trying IMO so a new shaft as far as I am concerned.