Straightened right leg

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a tendency at the moment to straighten my right leg on the backswing. I know this is a big problem in my consistency as every time I think about it and as such don't do it I am hitting the ball well. When I think about something else (such as shaping the ball) I end up straightening my back leg (I recorded a series of swings and the only bad ones were where I straightened my leg, so I know this is the reason) and so I was wondering if anybody has any tips / drills / advice on how I can avoid doing this? Or is it just a case of continuing to make it a swing thought until my swing is grooved and I am not doing it? All advice welcome. :cool:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmmm....

It WAS a long-term project of mine this one. Not been present since starting again, so let me think back to 1995 and the few lesson where we put this problem to rest...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I remember seeing Faldo practicing with his Fanny sitting on the grass behind him holding the backs of his knees for this very reason.
Do you have a fanny to help you?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you want to keep your right knee flexed, try this
At address, lift your right heal 1/2 an inch off the ground and keep it off the ground throughout the whole swing.
If you do this, you wont be able to straighten your leg.
just be careful you still transfer your weight onto your right side on the backswing.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Here's a free excerpt from the golf book I've written for a pro in the US.

Neoprene Knee Brace: Cure a Straight Right Leg
If you look at down-the-line views of both Hogan and Snead, you will notice that they made no attempt to restrict the hips in the backswing. In fact, they turned their entire body away from the target and their entire body through the ball. I teach all of my students that as long as they are set-up on the correct angles and maintain the flex in the right leg, they cannot wind up too much in the backswing. The key is maintaining the flex in the right leg, if you lose the flex you will then over-rotate and all hell breaks loose.
A cure for this over-rotation is to use a neoprene knee brace. They cost about $20 or so at most drug stores. They have a hole which the kneecap sticks through and Velcro to tighten them. You set the kneecap in the hole and set the flex in your leg/knee. Then wrap the brace around the leg and Velcro it shut tight. Hit balls with the brace on your right leg until you get use to the feeling of not allowing the right leg/knee to straighten. Then take it off and see if you can maintain the flex. Usually works like a charm. You will be walking like Festus on Gunsmoke with the brace on, but, with repeated use you will stop losing the flex in the right leg and over-rotating.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Snead never kept his right knee flexed what are you on about 23rd

:D

Weight transfer, flexed knees, constant spine angle, constant height etc, all part of the modern way....all part of the old way too.......

Snead may have straightened his right leg, Nicklaus may have lifted his left heel.....the question is "does keeping the knees flexed usually improve a players swing?" yes....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
does straightening the right knee promote a reverse pivot? which causes hitting the ball fat? and an out to in swing?

Depends on whether you are using the rotary swing, the stack and tilt or the Nato standard :)

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
does straightening the right knee promote a reverse pivot? which causes hitting the ball fat? and an out to in swing?

Depends on whether you are using the rotary swing, the stack and tilt or the Nato standard :)

the game gets more confusing by the day!

;)

how can something so simple be so complicated!?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi folks, I've just got back to this post so thanks very much for the replies.

I have one of the neoprene knee braces that the23rdman is on about so I'm going to give his idea a try.

I will feedback as appropriate, and if it fails I may just see if Bob has a fanny for sale ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

the game gets more confusing by the day!

;)

how can something so simple be so complicated!?

Methinks some people like to pretend its really complicated but when you break it down, its just hitting a ball with a stick.
:D