Straight Left Arm Drills

AyrshireGolfer

Club Champion
Visit site
With an effort to improve wrist hinge, I have started to collapse the left arm as an automatic reaction.

Does anyone have any good drills to improve keeping the left arm straight?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dont keep it straight, it creates tension which is bad. I think a slightly relaxed crescent shape is a better position.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
With an effort to improve wrist hinge, I have started to collapse the left arm as an automatic reaction.

Does anyone have any good drills to improve keeping the left arm straight?

The left arm collapses because you lose the angle in the right elbow. You have to feel that your right hand stays more away from your shoulder.

There are 2 drills you can look at, one is the flying wedge drill (it's NOT with a wedge, it's just called the flying wedge)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9c57NhZFl8

and the other is called the 9-3 drill.... both are straight arm swings where your body rotates through impact so that everything faces the target at the end. The 9-3 drill is about making swings where in the backswing your LEFT arm goes not much more than level to the floor (9 o'clock) and on the thru-swing your RIGHT arm never goes more then level to the ground (3 o'clock) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpGt3e_LZLA I don't agree with SocketRockets sentiment about the left arm, the straighter the better - if you can. Straight is good, not bad.

T

thecraw

Two litre coke bottle. Cut off the top and bottom and slide it over your arm and swing back.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My thought was to push the left side of the left wrist away from me. Allows/encourages the wrist cock, while still keeping the left am (pretty) straight.

Not convinced about the obsession with straight left arm. As Socket says, a slight bend reduces counter=productive tension and can allow for a more powerful swing - with 2 sets of 'big muscle' groups contributing.

B

birdieman

Not sure of the rights and wrongs but for me a straight arm looks technically correct, every pro swing I'd want to copy is pretty straight. I have never been able to do it myself with full shots but not for want of trying.
For me it removes another swing variable i.e. bending elbow which should lead to better strike consistency especially with irons. It also maximises width in the swing arc which again is good.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a hacker I was bending the left arm, moved to a much shorter backswing recently and shots and control is way beeter. Always try and maintain a straight left arm, feels a bit mechanical but also very repeatable.

James' 2 drills are very good for this.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nick Bradley's book 'The Seven Laws of the Golf Swing' has a very good article on the left arm during the back swing. It was his teaching that formed my own opinion on allowing the left arm to have a slightly relaxed feel in the back swing. I have the book at home but after a bit of searching I found the attached article which you may find interesting:

http://golfdashblog.com/tag/nick-bradley/

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have officially given up watching swings of the pros. I am now fully trusting what my coach tells me to do.

He told me that my very slightly relaxed left arm was fine, but a straighter arm was best FOR ME. No surprise that my connection with the ball improved greatly after achieving a straight arm.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A straight left arm at impact is very good, it returns the clubface to the ball and if kept relaxed the pull of the club will straighten it. At the top it's not that important to be rigid, it's actually an unnatural position for the arm. Hold your arm out and push it out straight, it feels uncomfortable.