Storm damage on your course?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just had a note to say, the old oak tree that dominated the tee shot from the medal tees on the 1st at Newport, was destroyed by the storms.

There's another behind it up the hill but this changes the hole considerably.
Visually, that's very sad, but it'll reduce the average score on the hole.

Anyone else have anything significant on their course?

Not sure if pic is clearIMG-20220221-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lost a small bush/tree on the edge of the 17 fairway - uprooted completely. Didn't really affect play unless you sliced off the tee and got a dodgy bounce further down the hill so hasn't affected how the course plays too much. Luckily we had a good session last year to remove dead/rotten branches so not too much damage.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We got away lightly. Lost a large tree by the 18th and a few around the course (mainly in wooded areas down the side of fairways) but all in all consider it a lucky escape. Sad when a defining tree on a hole is lost and it definitely loses its soul as a playing experience. We had a big oak at the corner of the dogleg on our second and we lost it about 7-8 years ago. They've planted two others to replace it but it's not the same visually and plays much differently

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We got away lightly although so many trees fell in the October storm. I'm just trying to compute how we're on temps all last week, closed Friday for Eunice (understandably), open all weekend on main greens and closed again today. No doubt open tomorrow on temps.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We've had a few trees down, and a fair bit of debris. Lost a pine on our first, changes the hole for me, my second shot was often obstructed by it :oops:. I managed to play the front 9 late on Saturday, ground conditions weren't great, was absolutely sodden in parts, even without the debris I thought the course should have been closed. Was glad of the walk though.

20220219_150830179_iOS.jpg20220219_150943237_iOS.jpg20220219_151047229_iOS.jpg20220219_151221011_iOS.jpg20220219_153325218_iOS.jpg20220219_160233681_iOS.jpg

Was at one of our local driving ranges earlier on Saturday, they had problems too........

20220219_091538374_iOS.jpg

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We got away lightly although so many trees fell in the October storm. I'm just trying to compute how we're on temps all last week, closed Friday for Eunice (understandably), open all weekend on main greens and closed again today. No doubt open tomorrow on temps.
Similar for us, played Saturday and not sure it should have been open. Only 15 holes and 17 was temp due to bunker work but very soggy under foot and a few puddles on some of the greens. Closed again this morning

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Similar to @Beezerk Loads of trees down that line the fairways, in between holes etc from previous storms but they are all out of the way, unless your golf is truly horrible. We have 3-4 trees in the middle of fairways, all isolated and open to the elements. Completely untouched :rolleyes:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Similar to @Beezerk Loads of trees down that line the fairways, in between holes etc from previous storms but they are all out of the way, unless your golf is truly horrible. We have 3-4 trees in the middle of fairways, all isolated and open to the elements. Completely untouched :rolleyes:

Ha ha, there’s a huge oak tree in front of the green on our 9th, anything down the rh side of the fairway and your blocked out. I was praying this tree would become a victim in the storms ?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Westerham GC are in the middle of a tree management programme that's seen far more trees felled than were ever coming down in these storms!
I've not been up, but I've heard only a couple of trees down, but a lot of debris. My understanding is healthy branches are generally not affected nearly as much as dead ones that just haven't been cut out, so maybe this had had a positive effect in pruning some dead wood.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not been down there, it's closed anyway still, but once of the email updates made passing reference to "trees being blown over". So we might be a few trees lighter by the time I get back there this Saturday, who knows.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I suspect that many at my place will be hoping that one specific very old but not very big tree has been keeled or damaged beyond repair. It’s right in the middle of a fairway and for many a blinking nuisance that adds nothing to the hole, indeed it is visually inconsistent with the rest of the hole. But it’s ’always’ been there and so for some is sacrosanct.

Anyway…not been to course since storm but email from club states some trees down and other tree damage and debris - hopefully nothing drastic. As we have done a lot of tree removal these last two years some large trees have had their protection from high winds removed, and for a while will be vulnerable.