Stiff vs regular or accuracy vs distance...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got a bit of a problem brewing so to speak, I recently changed shafts in my irons from regular to stiff as I was having accuracy problems (couldn't stop pushing right) which has done wonders for my accuracy, tightened up dispersion and now allows me to head straight for the pin as opposed to having to aim left of target 'now for the downside' I've gone from hitting my 7i 150-160 to hitting it 135-140ish which as you can imagine is a bit disappointing, can any of you gents/ladies or any pro's on here give me any advice as to what could possibly be wrong and/or what I can do to rectify the issue, any advice at all would be most appreciated...👍

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
the shaft flex will not be costing you the distance you're losing. what weight where your old shaft compared to your new ones

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the shaft flex will not be costing you the distance you're losing. what weight where your old shaft compared to your new ones

The original shafts were 'Dynamic Gold R3/400' which have been replaced with 'Aldila NV Comp 85-S' graphites which were the recommended shafts for my swing speed (90-100) ball flight (high) and distance (150-160 7i) I tend to get quite a lot of height from my swing so the '85-stiff' was recommended to help tame the height a touch and also to help eliminate the push which I have to say has worked a treat as now I can aim at the pin as opposed to left of target but I've lost distance and I can't figure out for the life of me why or how to go about correcting the issue... 🤔

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Conventional wisdom used to say too stiff, less chance of squaring the face. If you were pushing right before, that makes for some confusion. (counter-intuitive)
Regardless, those 85-S ought to be good for you long term.
I reckon your distance will come back a little. That's low numbers for a 7i...
Panic not.
The R300 wasn't exactly intended for high flight, so if you were getting some serious height (from backspin) but lacking control then I feel they probably were too soft for you.
They used to be over 100g per shaft (i.i.r.c.)... google says 104.
The new ones are either 85g or 100g.
Have you hit enough to draw conclusions.... like 30 or 40 on the practice ground. Could be a temporary glitch as you find your timing etc.

I expect it will level out in time to be honest.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Got a bit of a problem brewing so to speak, I recently changed shafts in my irons from regular to stiff as I was having accuracy problems (couldn't stop pushing right) which has done wonders for my accuracy, tightened up dispersion and now allows me to head straight for the pin as opposed to having to aim left of target 'now for the downside' I've gone from hitting my 7i 150-160 to hitting it 135-140ish which as you can imagine is a bit disappointing, can any of you gents/ladies or any pro's on here give me any advice as to what could possibly be wrong and/or what I can do to rectify the issue, any advice at all would be most appreciated...👍

Cold air affecting distance?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Conventional wisdom used to say too stiff, less chance of squaring the face. If you were pushing right before, that makes for some confusion. (counter-intuitive)
Regardless, those 85-S ought to be good for you long term.
I reckon your distance will come back a little. That's low numbers for a 7i...
Panic not.
The R300 wasn't exactly intended for high flight, so if you were getting some serious height (from backspin) but lacking control then I feel they probably were too soft for you.
They used to be over 100g per shaft (i.i.r.c.)... google says 104.
The new ones are either 85g or 100g.
Have you hit enough to draw conclusions.... like 30 or 40 on the practice ground. Could be a temporary glitch as you find your timing etc.

I expect it will level out in time to be honest.

Thanks very much for the advice I was getting a bit worried that I'd made a monumental cock-up, another shaft that was suggested was the 'True temper XP105' which are stiff but I wanted to try graphites so went for the "NV's" as 'one planer' has just suggested it was a bit cooler on the practice ground this evening with a slight right to left headwind so maybe that's not helped the issue, I think I'll just have to see how it goes before making any real judgements it just shook me a bit, I haven't really had the chance to play them out on the course yet bar a friendly knock about with a couple of mates so maybe an outing on my own tomorrow afternoon is called for so I can give-em a proper workout...

Thanks again for the advice chaps...👍

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I can concur with that. Been hitting 8 iron into the par 3, 18th at our place all summer. Came up a yard short of the green last evening with a flushed 7 iron! Cool damp air does make a difference.

D

Deleted member 21258

This year I have swapped from regular to stiff due to accuracy and funny flights, and did not notice any distance loss, just better accuracy(left/right).

Also when I try my sons clubs which are steel I don't really notice any difference in distance.

Maybe down to the cooler temperatures of late, as suggested by one planer

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The recent drop in temperature can take at least a club off distances with irons. That makes total sense to me. Even if it didn't, you are hitting it straight, rejoice 🙌. All is well with the world.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The recent drop in temperature can take at least a club off distances with irons. That makes total sense to me. Even if it didn't, you are hitting it straight, rejoice . All is well with the world.

Absolutely, just feels a bit inadequate having to hit a 7i whilst everyone else is hitting 9i... 😳

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, but you're hitting it straight! Stop checking what clubs you pp are hitting, just blank that out. Once you get past that you can just enjoy your new found skills. Hard I know, but if it's just a psychological issue that's easy.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
personally id want a proper fitting, on a launch monitor, compare your new ones against old ones. no reason to give up the yardage imo and the air certainly isnty cold enough to be losing that much

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I should add, I've always been a club or two behind bigger hitters so I learned early on not to get stressed by what club people take. Easy for me to say this, I do understand if you've been a bomber it is harder. Back to the main point though, you're hitting it straight, keep repeating it and smile 😁

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I should add, I've always been a club or two behind bigger hitters so I learned early on not to get stressed by what club people take. Easy for me to say this, I do understand if you've been a bomber it is harder. Back to the main point though, you're hitting it straight, keep repeating it and smile 

I've always been more than able to hold my own throughout the rest of the bag, I don't use a driver as I hit my 3-wood more consistently and just as far at around 225-235 (I used to hit the driver a country mile but we've had a parting of the ways for some unknown reason, TBC) my 18* rescue will see me consistently around the 195-210 mark for ball after ball and so on down through the bag (obviously taking into account the aforementioned accuracy issues) so to suddenly find myself lacking iron distance was a bit of a kick in the nuts to be honest but you're probably rite I'm sure it'll sort itself out in the end, well I hope it does anyway...

Cheers buddy... 👍🏻