Staying Connected

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Something I noticed about a week ago got me thinking.

I've suffered with an indifferent game for about a month now. Generally pretty poor if I'm being honest. I noticed something while on the course about a week ago that got me thinking.

About halfway through my backswing I felt my right elbow moving away from my body, at the top of the back swing my elbow was pointing more away from my body instead of down.

I've been working on keeping more connected through the swing and have noticed improved ball contact in my chipping and more accuracy in my half swing (9 o'clock) pitches. I've also noticed I've stopped hitting pulls with the longer clubs also.

Does anyone have any drills for keeping the arms connected to the torso?

I'm currently practicing with tee's under my arms (As suggested in the S&T book) but any other drills would be of help.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Even in the S&T swing your elbow should be 4-5" away from your ribs on the backswing with a 'pinching sensation' under your armpit, the elbow connects on the downswing if at all. More important is the feeling of your left armpit pressing against your left breast (I know you have moobs!) as it engages the chest muscle.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Even in the S&T swing your elbow should be 4-5" away from your ribs on the backswing with a 'pinching sensation' under your armpit, the elbow connects on the downswing if at all. More important is the feeling of your left armpit pressing against your left breast (I know you have moobs!) as it engages the chest muscle.

Which is the sensation I didn't have James and I'm starting to get now I'm working on it.

I've also noticed, since working on the connection side, that it is much easier to achieve the prescribed re-hinging of the wrists and finish position.

Something I previously had to work on, now comes naturally, just through staying connected. Although I do feel I'm swinging like Zach Johnson on the follow through :rofl:

As for the moobs......................... Got milk?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Although I do feel I'm swinging like Zach Johnson on the follow through :rofl:

Great example (having just won a tourney it's hard to criticise), also Jonathan Byrd has the chopped finish.

The issue comes with whether or not you're comfortable swinging that way, but ideally you'll let the ball do the talking. Just be aware of the swingplane getting too flat :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Great example (having just won a tourney it's hard to criticise), also Jonathan Byrd has the chopped finish.

The issue comes with whether or not you're comfortable swinging that way, but ideally you'll let the ball do the talking. Just be aware of the swingplane getting too flat :thup:

I suppose comfort will come with the more I practice and the more balls I hit.

If you look at Mike Bennett in this photo........

Connected1.jpg

..... Look how connected his arm is to his body (Ignore yellow line)

Compare that to me:

6IronDTL0432.jpg

I know that's taking it to the extreme, but is an example of what I'm trying to explain.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yeh, you're a bit too flat (he has more shoulder tilt) so the club gets too deep (behind you) it's easy to get trapped from where you are and block everything. You could certainly make golf easier by addressing that.

# Didn't I just say beware of getting too flat? :whistle:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeh, you're a bit too flat (he has more shoulder tilt) so the club gets too deep (behind you) it's easy to get trapped from where you are and block everything. You could certainly make golf easier by addressing that.

To be fair James that is an old picture, chosen to highlight the difference between how I was and where I want to go.

I'll see if I can find a more recent picture to compare to.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Just quickly following on from this comment James (..... And slightly off topic).

I was always under the impression that a flat swing requires less timing than a more upright swing?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
in those pics I would also be that's mike's shoulder line (rotation wise) is pointing at, or maybe a few inches behind, the ball whilst your's is about 4 ft behind the ball ie you've gone so far the elbow couldn't look like mike's

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

in those pics I would also be that's mike's shoulder line (rotation wise) is pointing at, or maybe a few inches behind, the ball whilst your's is about 4 ft behind the ball ie you've gone so far the elbow couldn't look like mike's

In the case of the above pictures then, how would I adjust the swing to make it more upright?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

^
^
^
Change to a 2 plane swing? :confused:

If you draw a line down Mike's left arm to the ground it bottoms out about 2ft in front of the ball, your's is more like 15ft, you're just a little flat that will cause you to come down either too steep (trying to recover) or too flat (which will put you stuck). It's hard work to square the clubface from there... your hips have to work doubletime from that position....

Try standing with your butt 6" from a brick wall and make slow swings without hitting the wall.

Last edited: