Start the downswing from the ground up?

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a great piece of advice and it's in all the books so it must be right.
But is it implemented correctly?
The golfer has a great backswing up to the top and thinks, 'start the downswing from the ground up'. So the lower half starts first, they think the upper half goes next, finally the arms and club.
What often happens though is the lower half starts the downswing but the shoulders follow at the same time.
Try this at home/office/train platform......
Pretend you have a club in your hand and swing to the top then stop.
Without moving anything else, slowly turn your hips. Where do your hands go? Outside the line.
Now try the same exercise again but this time as your start turning your lower half, keep your shoulders pointing to the right as long as you can (for right handers)
Now you will feel how the lower half goes first then the top half a fraction later.

I think the advice 'Start the downswing from the ground up' is good but it's poor implementation is the cause of many a golfers slicing woes.

Food for thought i hope

Bob. I've been struggling with this for ages and it's really been creating a glass ceiling - weak slice or coming from outside.

This simple version really makes things clear. Tried today at range and the few times I got it right gave instant results.

Need to put the hard yards in now but thanks for the tip :cheers:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have read this with interest and it did get complicated, which I know was exactly the opposite of the OP's intention.
Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but Bob, is this the same advice my pro gave me when he suggested I try to keep my back to the target as long as possible in the downswing? This was ironically advised to correct my hook as at impact my shoulders were well left of target (right hander).
I have to say it worked and the ball went miles. It did take some getting used to though, as I had not visited the right side of the fairway or even experienced a small fade for a long time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes sweep.
It stops the shoulders from pointing miles left at impact which causes the swing to go out to in.
And if you get it right, you can hit it as hard as you want.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob. I've been struggling with this for ages and it's really been creating a glass ceiling - weak slice or coming from outside.

This simple version really makes things clear. Tried today at range and the few times I got it right gave instant results.

Need to put the hard yards in now but thanks for the tip :cheers:

Your welcome.
Glad it helped

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Is there a danger of overdoing it & getting the club stuck behind you? This seems to happen to me at times & I instinctively flip the wrists over, resulting in a severe hook.

If someone has a big throw at the top, it's unlikely he/she will over-correct it.
If you are hitting a severe hook, I'd look at your divots (if you take any). Where do they point?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If your divots are left then you're not over doing it.
What may be happening is your lower half has stopped turning letting your hands overtake your body