Standing behind the line of fellow competitor's putt...

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
In a strokeplay competition, can I stand on a line that extends from the hole and through my opponent's ball, so I can get a good look at their putt? I appreciate it may be bad etiquette but is it actually against the rules? I always thought it was but I can't find a rule to back it up.

Thanks,
Shep

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It used to be the rule but I cannot find anything in the current rules other than caddie or a playing partner is not allowed to do it.

However you are allowed (but not good etiquette) to stand on the other side of the hole. In rules terms the line of is only from behind the ball as far as the hole.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just don't stand there if you're playing a pairs comp! Me and my partner got done for that in a betterball matchplay. It wasn't on purpose, he just happened to be standing behind me in line with the hole when I addressed the ball and I didn't even know he was there. Opponents pointed it out and said I was out of the hole. Was a bit miffed tbh. (This was about a year ago.)

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Just don't stand there if you're playing a pairs comp! Me and my partner got done for that in a betterball matchplay. It wasn't on purpose, he just happened to be standing behind me in line with the hole when I addressed the ball and I didn't even know he was there. Opponents pointed it out and said I was out of the hole. Was a bit miffed tbh. (This was about a year ago.)
where you there while the putt was taken? I think you've been had mate.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
where you there while the putt was taken? I think you've been had mate.
I talked to my partner about the putt and the line etc. Then as far as I knew he walked away as I took the putt. As it turns out he had stood in line with it, but like 5-10 yards back, not to help me with the line but just to watch the putt. I didn't even know he was there as I couldn't see him out of the corner of my eye. Obviously he wasn't aware of the rule or he wouldn't have stood there - and the rule is more for pros with caddies and that I think. But our opponents were the club secretary and his son so we didn't argue it when they called us on it. Ultimately it only meant that I was out of the hole, and my partner who had actually made the 'faux pas' if you like was still able to finish the hole with his ball, ha. Like when you run out your partner in cricket. :LOL:

Edit: Additional bit of info I forgot - I hadn't even hit the putt. Apparently it's a penalty as soon as you address the ball with your partner stood behind you, and they called it before I even hit it. I thought it was harsh and they could have let us off the penalty by simply pointing it out and then I take my stance again with my partner not standing there.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
The rule dealing with lining up was clarified to cover accidental breaches and they were wrong to declare a penalty. They'd probably been waiting to try and catch someone out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rule dealing with lining up was clarified to cover accidental breaches and they were wrong to declare a penalty. They'd probably been waiting to try and catch someone out.
The son actually missed a 3 footer straight after, the only putt he missed all day. I genuinely wondered if he felt a bit guilty and missed on purpose, or at least didn't commit to it, as we managed to get the half off my mate's ball thanks to that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty much all of the unpleasantness with rule calling, often wrong, seems to happen during matchplay. It does seem to bring out an unattractive side to people.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would ask you to move. And I'd wait until you did :)

And if questioned as to 'why' - I'd say 'because I'd like you to move'...I don't have to give any more reason than that ...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Was this thread started wrt the us am?
There was a case of it there, and it caused a certain amount of twitter chat :
Why behave like this in public? The whole world* will think you're a k**b for the rest of time.
*-very slight exaggeration

I mentioned that at the club yesterday and all 3 other guys seemed to think it was against the rules, but I wasn't so sure.

I felt that it was unlikely as it would be crazy for someone to do this so deliberately in a high profile match that had TV and possibly a match referee. If it had been against the rules, the player who was away should just have taken the stroke and he'd surely have won the hole.

I think it's one of those that people think it's against the rules and almost no one does it but as people have advised on here, is actually not in the rule book.

Given the trouble they've gone to to prevent caddies standing behind players (which is a tough rule to enforce in many cases) I'm surprised they haven't been stricter on where competitors stand. Clearly a player could get a reasonable advantage over the course of a round if they happen to get a free read from who they are paired with. Ultimately this is good fortune and might even out over a tournament or a season, but if it came in two crucial holes at the end of a 72 hole competition, it could be enough to swing it for that player against someone who was playing in a different group.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was referring to the oppo, not the player. I actually thought the player was quite restrained!
And I'm prety certain that he was waving at the oppo.
You may well be right. The caddie seems to have been walking away slightly to one side anyway but both were close together when the player gestured.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you sure?

I no longer have old books to check but it may well be one the things that was said to me donkeys years ago and I have never bothered to check just accepted what I was told like many a new golfer.

First time I have seen it queried so no reason to look it up before.