Stack and Tilt - positives / difficulties?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've just ordered the book.

I was wondering if those that have tried it, have found any areas in the book particualry helpful and easy to incorporate and on the flip side any parts confusing or more difficult to do.

So basically if you had the chance to quiz the authors, what parts would you be praising them on and what would you want to know more about.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
its not overly complicated, its just a case of practising the drills until it feels natural. I am in the process of trying to implement some of it but not all. Mostly keeping the weight centred and the flying wedge element, these are not really stack & tilt only though.

I have also found the driver element has helped. Theres some great video's on youtube
heres the 1st, there are 5 in total
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRi1pO4Um88&feature=fvwrel

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

G1bbo I can't view those at work, if they are the 5 videos from a S and Tilt pro that were up, then removed, then put back up again; I've seen them in the past and found them useful.

Justone, it nearly worked then :) , though not sure why as I've said in the past I'd like to know more about it.

chris661 thanks for the link, I've search stack and thread titles this morning before posting.

I'm more interested in what elements people may have found hard or easy or beneficial to incorpaorate, particularly in relation to the book and any parts that may need re-reading or clarification. The thread you've identified certainly does contain some of that.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
for me its concentrating on the 2 points I mentioned, the book is a bit over complicated in some ways. I am reading through elements of it for about the 3rd or 4th time so for me its more of a reference guide that I go back to as opposed to a complete definitive guide.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't know if my issues are those of a 'normal' golfer in the fact that I'm always under a considerable amount of pressure to 'represent the swing' when in the company of forumers and often go a step too far in trying to show that it works, namely things like having the driver face waaaay too open then not being able to draw the ball back sufficiently or addressing the ball in the 'impact fix' position just to prove I've got my weight well and truly on the left side.

If I could ask for more detail/clarification in the book then it would be about hitting the ball high, push-fading irons [eg shaping the ball] and the short game as I feel these areas are weaker than the main 'hit your irons with better contact' swing.

I never had an issue with any of the elements other than I hit a low ball which I find annoying with a 3-iron in my hand.... but then I don't really practice ever so I'm pretty much always relying on the pure fundamentals to get the club on the ball every time I pick up a club.

I know they have a new DVD out (if anyone buys it I'd like a copy........:whistle:) that goes into more detail with things like protracer/balance boards/trackman - so I'm pretty upbeat that some peoples issues will be dealt with by that. It's always good to see stuff in operation and to see the protracer ballflight of pro players will certainly tick a few boxes, it certainly helped me understand the ballflight laws and how the things we are generally taught don't really matter or are either a quick fix or just plain wrong.

One interesting thing - going slightly off topic - that dawned on me only recently is that I've changed to hitting a push-fade off the tee instead of a draw..... so I've taken the left side out of the course and tend to play from the fairway and even accept the right rough (as I'm cutting the ball back into play from the left side).... but when I was taking the right side out with a draw I would NEVER accept the left rough! which supposedly is the point of hitting a draw!!!! (never losing the ball to the right).

Sometimes I think we expect too much from too little practice... can you really read about a swing then go out and break par straight away? (........... I did but let's not go there ;)).

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find that keeping weight on the left foot,tilting the spine left during backswing,and moving club inside during backswing are all fairly simple and beneficial.Sliding hips left and tucking in your bum during downswing I find harder.All in all I have been trying it out for about 3 months now and my game is the best it has ever been! My course management however is still poor!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
All in all I have been trying it out for about 3 months now and my game is the best it has ever been! My course management however is still poor!

Standing on the tee feeling like Superman........... but playing like Lois Lane :mad:

I can relate to that! :D

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I find that keeping weight on the left foot,tilting the spine left during backswing,and moving club inside during backswing are all fairly simple and beneficial.Sliding hips left and tucking in your bum during downswing I find harder.

I do all that but thats when I get bad shots as it encourages hand flipping or 'cricket' blocking.......I stress that this is my nemesis swing process but as we are all different that process might work for many....thats one of the reasons I love Golf, there are many many ways to skin a cat!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So other than DaveM who wants to know if the book as opposed to the ballflight is soft strong and very very long.

The backswing seems easier to make than the downswing where the hip slide and leg thrust could be more complicated, one may have to be wary of blocks or hooks. Ballflight wise hitting it on a higher trajectory, shaping it and how the short game pattern fits in are areas to look into. A couple of drills like the flying wedge drill, seem to have struck a chord.

Looking back through the blog videos G1bbo posted 1 or 2 areas may be challenging for me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Which swing isn't challenging?

If you notice there's quite a few choppers around, a lot of whom have played more than a decade and still probably won't break 80, many of which have even paid for a ton of lessons from professionally qualified instructors and remain choppers to the end!

That's not to say the instruction is necessarily bad... perhaps it's the student? It's hard to undo the things we think we've learned and that has to start with accepting the change.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
JO - have you lost much distance now that you are hitting the push fade instead of the draw. i think hitting my stock drive, a fade is robbing me 20-30yards!

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I lost distance for a while but after some range work and many drills it appears to be back! Strangely enough my driving and woods are now much better and I am beginning to get a nice draw.The hip slide does feel odd at first but after a while it becomes second nature.Now if only Bennett and Plummer would write a book on course management !

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
JO - have you lost much distance now that you are hitting the push fade instead of the draw. i think hitting my stock drive, a fade is robbing me 20-30yards!

Is this a trick question????? LOL

If I say I'd lost loads of distance now and my S&T draw used to go 350yds with a half swing I could get a lot of people to try S&T :D

In reality I don't know is the answer.... I hit it far enough both ways and the conditions lately make it impossible to judge... I do have a feeling that when it dries out I'm going to hit some mahhoooosive drives but then I did with the draw too.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not a trick question at all. i know my fade drives dont go anywhere near as long as any draws i manage to hit.

our fairways in ireland have been pretty solid of late. i know you folks in england have been soaked so id imagine very little run at all. your bound to see a big difference when you finally get some run this summer.