Stableford rules question

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was playing with a mate the other night in a singles stableford white tee full handicap comp and he was playing poorly.

On our 10th hole, par 3, he slightly missed the green by 5 foot,then thinned a wedge about 80 yards onto our 18th fairway.

There were trees to come back over and didn't have much of a shot. However, he was going to pick up after only playing 2 shots (he didn't have a shot on this hole).

I suggested that he mustn't, as technically he can still score with either an up and down, or lets face it, even if he duffs one, you could put it straight in from 80 yards, however unlikely.

I presume that in a white tee official comp, you must keep trying to score, until no longer possible. I know you should pick up once you can't score, but picking up when you can still score, surely isn't right, as this can skew the marking for handicap reasons.

Anyway, he carried on, and didn't score.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep no rule to stop you picking up whenever you want. Having a bad day yesterday, drove it OOB at 16 and didnt even bother to reload just walked the hole.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im with this too, if you stick one OB on a Par 4 with no shot for example you are potentially wasting your time playing a reload

Agree with this ..
BUT.......
in the spirit of the game etc (i know ,I know) should you not at least play your shots until scoring chance has passed ..

Say for instance you do pick up & blob the hole .. you end up in the top end of the buffer points wise ,
WHAT IF you had played , & made birdie with the second ball , 5 in total , you would have an extra point & should be cut ..

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with this ..
BUT.......
in the spirit of the game etc (i know ,I know) should you not at least play your shots until scoring chance has passed ..

Say for instance you do pick up & blob the hole .. you end up in the top end of the buffer points wise ,
WHAT IF you had played , & made birdie with the second ball , 5 in total , you would have an extra point & should be cut ..

you are correct in that the basis for handicapping under CONGU assumes (and states that it assumes in the manual) that every player will endeavour to do their best ...

however, I can see nothing that suggests that the decision as to when 'enough is enough' lies anywhere but in the player's head

as an example, a player may feel that taking a few moments to consider what happened and why prior to play of the next hole is more important in the context of his ultimate score for the round than trying to sink a 230 yd shot over water....especially if they can't hit it more than 180!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im with this too, if you stick one OB on a Par 4 with no shot for example you are potentially wasting your time playing a reload

Depends on the length of the hole for me. On a short one, I'll give it a go. Birdie with the 2nd ball = 1 point.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I was playing with a mate the other night in a singles stableford white tee full handicap comp and he was playing poorly.

On our 10th hole, par 3, he slightly missed the green by 5 foot,then thinned a wedge about 80 yards onto our 18th fairway.

There were trees to come back over and didn't have much of a shot. However, he was going to pick up after only playing 2 shots (he didn't have a shot on this hole).

I suggested that he mustn't, as technically he can still score with either an up and down, or lets face it, even if he duffs one, you could put it straight in from 80 yards, however unlikely.

I presume that in a white tee official comp, you must keep trying to score, until no longer possible. I know you should pick up once you can't score, but picking up when you can still score, surely isn't right, as this can skew the marking for handicap reasons.

Anyway, he carried on, and didn't score.

Think we may be back on the question on advice here.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Devil's advocate..... So if you're a bandit trying to keep your handicap artificially high you don't even have to try to play badly - just pick up as soon as you hit a little trouble?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The thing is, he played onto the green with his 3rd, had a 15 foot putt, which he narrowly missed for a point.

Advice, that was gonna be a seperate point.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep. Up to player when he/she wishes to pick up.

And if you always phrase Rules issues as a question, any challenge about 'advice' can easily be countered!