sprinklers - ruling please

Coreservers

Visit site
Today on Pytchley, i managed a creditable 53 through 9, However on the par 5 3rd, the sprinklers were on the green, and no greenkeeper around to turn them off. Whats the shot ruling there? im presuming you dont have to take a soaking :) Do you hit near the green and pick up, or what?

Coreservers

Visit site
Im not talking about a sprinkler head, i know thats an unplayable lie, penalty stroke and a drop. The sprinklers were in fact turned on and were soaking the entire green, surely i wouldnt have to play the green underneath the cascade of water?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I suspect you have to suspend your round until they can be turned off or they finish their cycle. If you were playing a stableford you could proceed with a blob (and a deal of frustration), if a medal it would be a disqualification for not completing the hole.

All in all not a great situation.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im not talking about a sprinkler head, i know thats an unplayable lie, penalty stroke and a drop. The sprinklers were in fact turned on and were soaking the entire green, surely i wouldnt have to play the green underneath the cascade of water?

To digress for a moment, you would get relief without penalty from interference from a sprinkler head which is an immovable obstruction. See Rule 16.
There might even be a local rule in place which would give you - in specified circumstances - free relief if the sprinkler head was on your line of play.

To return to your question, I can't think of any rule to help you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When sprinklers are on like this they are normally on an automatic timer so just wait for them to finish.

The water on the green can be treated as casual water but I would imagine it would very quickly soak in.

salfordlad

Visit site
Here's my non-exhaustive list of non-rule based solutions I've practiced over the years, depending on the specific infrastructure employed. A. Turn off the tap. B. Crink the hose. C. Get someone to hold the direction nozzle pointed elsewhere. D. Stick a tee into the sping driven thumpy thing that makes it rotate. E. Nip in quick and play while spraying elsewhere. F. Putt with your umbrella balanced or held over your head. G. Come back on a really hot day when you may enjoy the spray more.
What have I missed?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's my non-exhaustive list of non-rule based solutions I've practiced over the years, depending on the specific infrastructure employed. A. Turn off the tap. B. Crink the hose. C. Get someone to hold the direction nozzle pointed elsewhere. D. Stick a tee into the sping driven thumpy thing that makes it rotate. E. Nip in quick and play while spraying elsewhere. F. Putt with your umbrella balanced or held over your head. G. Come back on a really hot day when you may enjoy the spray more.
What have I missed?
You missed H. Calling the greens staff "a load of #@%#$#@ing useless #$$@#$#ers" ( just before retracting it and complimenting them on the condition of the course).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What have I missed?

I) a couple of verses of "Singing in the rain" whilst do a lousy impersonation of Gene Kelly and his umbrella, dancing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you believe it?

Played today, got to the 12th hole, sprinkler to side of the green was pumping out gallons of water!!

I ignored my smart arsed post #9, took relief for casual water and popped the ball on the green ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would you believe it?

Played today, got to the 12th hole, sprinkler to side of the green was pumping out gallons of water!!

I ignored my smart arsed post #9, took relief for casual water and popped the ball on the green.

With a discrete cough, may I ask where the temporary water was? I hope it was around your ball or at your feet.

If it were on the green, how were you entitled to relief?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
With a discrete cough, may I ask where the temporary water was? I hope it was around your ball or at your feet.

If it were on the green, how were you entitled to relief?

The sprinkler was off the green and spraying water off the green. My ball was resting about 2 inches from the sprinkler. It had been on for sometime and the ground in the immediate area (7 to 10) yards was saturated and was round my feet and in some parts up to where the bottom of the sole is wrapped round the trainer type shoe.

Colin - it was very wet!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The sprinkler was off the green and spraying water off the green. My ball was resting about 2 inches from the sprinkler. It had been on for sometime and the ground in the immediate area (7 to 10) yards was saturated and was round my feet and in some parts up to where the bottom of the sole is wrapped round the trainer type shoe.

Colin - it was very wet!
From the groin down as usual ? :ROFLMAO:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Colin - it was very wet!

Impressive!

Tomorrow, I fear the Nature's sprinkler's will be on with a vengeance. After two days refereeing a tournament in wonderful warm sunshine - shirtsleeves in September! - there's a yellow warning of heavy rain for tomorrow.