South West Golf Weekend recommendations

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
After a very good Sunday special break at St Pierre which was superb I'm looking to book another venue for a weekend break in early October.

Woodbury Park, St Mellion and Dartmouth G&CC all have deals has anybody played these, what are your thoughts and are there any other weekend breaks you'd recommend.

The trip will be for a party of 6-8 ranging from mid 40's to early 60's. It doesn't have to be championship courses however we would prefer good quality golf, food and reasonable bar prices. Duration will be one to two nights, dinner and breakfast included

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
A bit of a James Braid fan - along with a penchant for links courses, so St.Enodoc would be my pick. With maybe Royal North Devon to follow. Bliss.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played the West cornwall in St Ives when i was there last, thoroughly enjoyed it and it was not expensive.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I really liked St Mellion when I played it, and I didn't play particularly well.

I have heard great things about St Endoc.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I've played St Mellion (both courses), St Enodoc and Perranporth.

St Mellion - Kernow Course (the easier of the two). Nice course, quite easy to score on, enjoyable but I wouldn't recommend it over The International.

St Mellion - International. As tight as a nun's proverbials. Every time I have played the course it has been in immaculate condition.The course is tough and you need to hit the ball straight off almost every tee. There isn't much margin for error so if you are looking for a leisurely round, you may want to consider another course. But if you are up for the challenge and don't mind losing some balls / hitting trebles, this is a great course to play.

St Enodoc - this is my father in law's favourite course in the area. I've only played it once but it was a delight. It is a proper links style course with loads of undulations on the fairway and greens. I'd strongly recommend it as a fantastic course to play.

Perranporth - I played on a ludicrously windy day and it was hard work. I would rate it as a good course, good fun and has excellent views. If it wasn't so windy I believe I could have shot a low score as I did alright in tough conditions (wind was around 35mph).

Out of the four I have played, I recommend St Enodoc or St Mellion International.

all the best and I hope you get a great round in.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Most of your options have been covered in the previous responses. One place that hasn't been mentioned yet is Burnham and Berrow, another top quality links. It's in a fairly populated area so plenty of hotels and B&B's to stay in. Another nice possibility is East Devon (Twire's course) which is also well worth playing.

I would probably give Royal North Devon a miss to be honest, I was very disappointed when I played it. Only got a handful of good holes on it but it does have a lot of history if that is important to you.

No mention of Trevose yet, they have lodges onsite but I think it's another overrated course.

My preferences would be St Enodoc then Saunton then B&B.

Avoid RND and West Cornwall (unless you have a crash helmet)

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
Saunton has two good courses and you can play both during an weekend, lot of good accomodation, Acorn is one good B&B we stayed for some nights, but we use to rent selfcatering apartments for longer periods. I will also recommend Burnham & Berrow,, the 5 opening holes is fantastic links holes, they have 9 hole course also, havent played that one, but you can play both during an weekend and there is a lovely B6B at the beginning of the entrance road to Burnham & Berrow

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about the Bournemouth area , around 30 courses and the beach for the family , check for hotels doing golf , bell inn in the new forest is good too

Baldy Bouncer

Blackballed
Visit site
Dainton Park GC in Ipplepen, just outside Newton Abbot, is a cracking hidden gem of a course. A touch hilly but the views and course are brilliant. Check it out, you won`t be disappointed.:thup: