Sorry another driver shaft question.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok this one is a little different than the normal. I'm very happy with my driver and driving ! I hit it dead straight, but a bit on the low side flight wise. The average carry is well short of the forum average, around 210yrds. Well down I hear you all mutter!
So here's my question if I change the shaft to a higher launch one (ie avicore blue for example). Is it going to give any more carry/length to the drive, without altering the direction and dispersion of the drive.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ok this one is a little different than the normal. I'm very happy with my driver and driving ! I hit it dead straight, but a bit on the low side flight wise. The average carry is well short of the forum average, around 210yrds. Well down I hear you all mutter!
So here's my question if I change the shaft to a higher launch one (ie avicore blue for example). Is it going to give any more carry/length to the drive, without altering the direction and dispersion of the drive.

What flex driver are you currently using Dave?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The usual response is - 'it depends!'.

What's the current shaft?

As MiB posted, higher launching shafts are also normally also higher spin. This may or may not be an advantage - normally not.

How high do you tee the ball?

TM are actually pretty much there or thereabouts on the 17/1700 being the optimum launch/spin. So if you are launching it low, it's almost certain that a higher launch will improve carry. By far the easiest way to do this is to tee it higher and hit up on it - which will probably reduce the spin too.

They don't say 'tee it high, let it fly' for nothing!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im teeing it of the front heel with half the ball showing above the driver when teed up. The ball Mark on the driver face is smack in the middle.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
any idea what your angle of attack is? you need to speak to a pro about your low ball flight before you buy a new shaft mate as your low ball flight could be as a result of many things

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
210 carry is NOT terrible. In these dry, hard conditions I bet you run out to about 250?

Very hard to do but sometimes it is best accepting what you have. I used to hit high and wanted to go low, now I feel I am too low, we are never happy!
Tee it high and forward, then hold the head back from the ball when starting the back swing, that way you will hit up on the ball and send it away on a higher trajectory.