sore left hand

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been at the driving range three times this week and noticed that after the last session my left hand (I am right handed) is a little sore from my wrist up the side of my palm on the side of my little finger. When I got home I had a hold of my club to see if I could figure out why and can't really see what would cause it....Is it normal to get this kind of soreness when first starting out at golf? I am guessing there is probably some pressure from the club onto your hand when swinging, or could it be I am not gripping properly? Got my first lesson on Tuesday so I will be able to ask then, but just wondering if it's normal?

Thanks

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you flip/flick the club trying to get the ball in the air? If you are you're likely topping the ball quite a bit.

I write from experience as on the occasion I forget to swing and let the club do the work and try to smash the ball to pulp, I flip/flick my wrists and my left hand, pretty much where you mentioned hurts like hell, which is good as it reminds me to slow down.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Also check if you might be gripping the club too hard. I know that my mum had loads of problems with pain in her hands when she started out, and it got a lot better, once she had learned to hold the club less firmly.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,
Yeh hitting off mats at the driving range, I think I have a pretty good swing rarely try to smash the ball, I have been concentrating on trying to have a nice smooth swing. Means I am not hitting the ball that far but i figure that will come with practice/experience and a good technique. Been out today and noticed it seems to hurt a little more at the end of my swing when the club is behind my head. I think at the end of my swing I bend my left wrist backwards, hopefully the pro at my lesson tomorrow will be able to point out anything I am doing wrong :)

Danny

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No no no.
Your Pro is not a doctor...
Think about it logically, the game of golf was not genetically designed around the human body so that if you "do it properly" it won't hurt, but if it hurts "you are doing something wrong".

You are doing a new sport that is working parts of your body in new ways. It is possible that muscles that haven't been moved and stressed in certain ways before are just aching, it is also possible you are injured.

The only person who can advise you on your body is a doctor, go see one if you are worried.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No no no.
Your Pro is not a doctor...
Think about it logically, the game of golf was not genetically designed around the human body so that if you "do it properly" it won't hurt, but if it hurts "you are doing something wrong".

You are doing a new sport that is working parts of your body in new ways. It is possible that muscles that haven't been moved and stressed in certain ways before are just aching, it is also possible you are injured.

The only person who can advise you on your body is a doctor, go see one if you are worried.

That's true, but it isn't at all sore now, I can type freely, do press ups, pulls ups, full motion of the wrist and fingers. Like someone mentioned earlier I think it is likely contact with the mats at the driving range. I am going to have my lesson tomorrow, I work for the CCG in GP practices so I will try and get one of them to have a look at it. If not I will go to my GP. I suppose at the end of the day if I have injured it then it's better to catch it early than keep playing with it and causing damage :)

Thanks

Danny

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But where is the logic saying it's "due to the mats"?

You either have an ache or an injury. Mats, grass, beginner, pro.... Irrelevant.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But where is the logic saying it's "due to the mats"?

You either have an ache or an injury. Mats, grass, beginner, pro.... Irrelevant.

Saw a Dr at work today and he said as I have a full range of movement in my hand/wrist he doesnt think I have done anything to it and likely just sore from repeating an action thats new to me. I also had a lesson today and the pro at my local course has changed my grip totally, I hit some balls with this new grip and had hardly any pain at all. Now it just feels like a slight bruising on the side of my hand if I push on it. I am not playing again now until weekend but if there is any soreness then I will see my GP next week.

Thanks