Slow Play Penalty WGC

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....nches-tirade-us-officials-questions-slow/amp/

So in the last couple of weeks there have been multiple US players take forever over shots and all of them have got away with it with excuses that money is riding on it etc - some players taking 2 mins per shot - Cantley , Na and Simpson recently and so after all that they go and punish Molinari for taking 62 seconds

So what now - will the rest take notice and has a precedent started of have they chosen and easy target

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
An outsider, who doesn't understand the "being on the clock" routine will look at this and laugh.
As soon as players get put on the clock they speed up until they're off the clock then go back to normal.
The youngster who got penalised at the Masters a few years back didn't speed up when he was clocked and so got the penalty.
If the Authorities are serious about combating slow play, this isn't the way to do it.
FMol takes 12 seconds too long...what about some others who take 2 minutes too long..
I agree with Francisco...time everyone all the time.
1 bad time = a warning
2 bad times in the round = a shot penalty
3 bad times in the round = DQ
4 bad times in the tournament = DQ..
And before anyone says it'll cost too much - take a look at how much the prize money is on the PGA Tour...

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Molinari was on his twitter talking about it. It’s a joke in my opinion. Molinari is not a slow player, but he was an easy target.
He mentions timing slow players and not telling them they are on the clock then if they go over allocated times penalising them.
The usga just needs to toughen up on its own players, Webb Simpson was disgraceful last weekend and cost fleetwood a chance at winning by taking too long and don’t get me started on jb Holmes!!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....nches-tirade-us-officials-questions-slow/amp/

So in the last couple of weeks there have been multiple US players take forever over shots and all of them have got away with it with excuses that money is riding on it etc - some players taking 2 mins per shot - Cantley , Na and Simpson recently and so after all that they go and punish Molinari for taking 62 seconds

So what now - will the rest take notice and has a precedent started of have they chosen and easy target

I must be missing something...he didn't get a penalty?

Why would this trigger any reaction at all (from the slow ones who know exactly how to avoid a bad time)?

D

Deleted member 18588

Molinari was on his twitter talking about it. It’s a joke in my opinion. Molinari is not a slow player, but he was an easy target.
He mentions timing slow players and not telling them they are on the clock then if they go over allocated times penalising them.
The usga just needs to toughen up on its own players, Webb Simpson was disgraceful last weekend and cost fleetwood a chance at winning by taking too long and don’t get me started on jb Holmes!!

There's many a Tour player, both in Europe and the US who would disagree with you about Molinari being a slow player. Shall we just say he is deliberate.

Slow play is a problem for all the Tours worldwide, not just in the States.

Personally I would give one warning and the next time it would be a one shot penalty. Subsequent offence would result in a DQ.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good to see old Uncle Sam targetting Johnny Foreigner!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time for the PGA/WGC to be consistent with this now in the rest of the tournament and penalise some of the home grown players. I doubt it'll happen somehow

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The PGA in my opinion will always go after easy and soft targets, until they penalise a top US player then no one will care.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The current way the rules are enforced is ripe for abuse.

I agree that it should not be apparent when players are being timed and that would result in players being forced to play to the rules over every shot.

Some players are clearly gaining an advantage and slowing the whole game down.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good to see old Uncle Sam targetting Johnny Foreigner!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time for the PGA/WGC to be consistent with this now in the rest of the tournament and penalise some of the home grown players. I doubt it'll happen somehow

You obviously have inside knowledge on who was given a bad time at this tournament- care to share?

Or do you contend that only FM has been given a bad time?

D

Deleted member 15344

Sour grapes from Hatton..... take no notice of his petty excuse as I am sure the official made the right call.

So it’s Mickleson the one taking his time and causing the group to be slow yet the other two get the slow play warning about being on a clock and it’s sour grapes ? Hatton has before even said himself he has had pace of play issues and held his hand up but it seems he has it spot on with this.

So why not all three get the warning then ? How is it the right call if the one being slow doesn’t get the warning

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So it’s Mickleson the one taking his time and causing the group to be slow yet the other two get the slow play warning about being on a clock and it’s sour grapes ? Hatton has before even said himself he has had pace of play issues and held his hand up but it seems he has it spot on with this.

So why not all three get the warning then ? How is it the right call if the one being slow doesn’t get the warning

As stated it was Hatton and the other guy in the eyes of the official who were to blame for the slow play not Phil so why should he be pulled ?

D

Deleted member 15344

As stated it was Hatton and the other guy in the eyes of the official who were to blame for the slow play not Phil so why should he be pulled ?

So as the question was - is the official being biased towards Phil - Hatton even said that Phil himself suggested that the official was being kind to him -“well he obviously likes me”

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So as the question was - is the official being biased towards Phil - Hatton even said that Phil himself suggested that the official was being kind to him -“well he obviously likes me”

Off course he likes Phil, who doesn't?

And I am sure Phil was only try to add a little humour to save the embarrassment for Hatton.