Skycaddie GPS

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone got or used one of these before

I have been looking into them and interested in buying one to get to know my exact distance of hitting all my clubs to help me when i play away from my home course as am starting to take golf very serious again and will be practicing alot from now on tho

let me know on your views

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seems that GPS is just about the years most repeated thread.

Not meaning to be rude to you fairmorn. But if you have a quick look through the posts you'll find what you're looking for.

Good hunting.

indeed. go to search facility, adjust time to search up to 1 year and type in 'skycaddie' or 'gps'. There's enough there to keep you going for a while.

Just skip over anything that includes someone called NLPgolf in the author or thread- he's just flogging kit.

have fun

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have the SC5 and can thoroughly recommend it. Best bit of kit I bought for ages. It told me tonight on the 18th I had 136 to the back of the green (where the flag was). Before looking I was going to hit 9 but changed to an 8. Only just got over the water in front of the green (9 would have been wet) and then bounced on the fringe and according to those on the patio it rolled to the hole hit the flag, rolled round the edge and stopped on the lip for eagle. Made the birdie putt (just!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Even if I hit a huge slice or hook and end up on adjoining fairways I've always got a yardage to the front middle or back and it gives me details of the distances required to carry any hazards.

I'd give it 10/10

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
fairmon, gps is cracking but beware some clubs are still in the dark ages and you may not be able to use it in away competitions.

At the moment each club has to pass a local rule allowing use in competition.

Hopefully the R&A will get their finger out and make approved models allowed everywhere.

Also you have the brigade who believe gps to be unnatural but have the latest drivers, putters...etc in the bag which is a far cry from the standard kit used back in the "natural" days.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes - too many clubs still in the dark ages with allowing use of GPS units.

Hopefully with the PGA allowing them in their competitions then some may see the light. Also once the Pros work our how much money they can make on them, I think they'll start moaning to the clubs if they don't wake up to the modern world.....

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
the main reason for getting one i thought it not to use it in tournaments etc but to get a more exact figure for different shots and distances with clubs and take note for using at other courses really cause like said above alot of places ban them

you still think worth it for what am wanting it for?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Fairmorn.

Personally I prefer the look of the Caddyaid type of funcitionality, which is the route that I'll be taking later on in the year.

I use GPS alot when yacht racing, and I kinda know what info can be gleamed from simply knowing where you are, (which is all that GPS does).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to say you cannot beat SC5. Not only will it give you the distances to the front middle and back of each green but the distances to various hazards from anywhere.

However another important feature is the ball marking function which is ideal for practice sessions. Basically you hit a shot press the button and it measures how far you have hit it.

I use it all the time on the practice ground (and to check the distances on our newly installed yardage markers - they were surprisingly accurate). I now have a set of measurements for each club in my bag measured into a mild 5-10 wind, downwind at the same speed and on a perfectly calm summer day. These are now written into the back of my yardage chart (perfectly legal in club comps).

Also I took the SC5 onto the course and added my own yardages to carry bunkers ditches etc over and above those already laid down in the booklet. This way I have a full idea from most places on each hole what my yardage would be for use in monthly comps until such time as the R&A change the rules.

I personally think it is the best out there. Thats just my view and having used a caddyaid as well just found the SC5 better all round

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fairmorn.

Personally I prefer the look of the Caddyaid type of funcitionality, which is the route that I'll be taking later on in the year.

I use GPS alot when yacht racing, and I kinda know what info can be gleamed from simply knowing where you are, (which is all that GPS does).

I have already said this before in one of the many GPS threads - Skycaddie are the only GPS crowd who actually send someone out to measure distances around the whole course. The others tend to use course guides, google earth, bits of string and uneducated guesses to get the yardage data.

How you can get more functional than the SC5 I am not sure but I know you cannot get more accurate than Skycasddie and I would go as far as saying most others are not accurate at all.....