Sky Sports pundits

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Are sky sports now employing female pundits just to tick a few boxes?

This isn’t a sexist post as quite a few of the men are equally as bad.
Phil Thompson prime example.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I personally think that they are actively putting more women in those positions yes, but as yet I haven't seen one who I think shouldnt be there.... They seem to be doing a good job and have good opinions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, head above the parapet here. I think it's a nonsense and the women Sky are employing as pundits shouldn't be there. No problem if the central presenter but pundit, no.

Who are the pundits? They aren't journalists, they are top level pro's who have played at or close to the level they are discussing. They have credibility because they have been in similar circumstances. The women on as pundits can discuss women's football but can not have the same credibility as the men. You may as well have non league players on there if they can talk well. Whether the ladies can talk well is irrelevant, it's about credibility and they don't have it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think Alex Scott is very good and think sky missed trick taking Carragher back and not giving her the job.

I like her and she is more lucid than many male pundits.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having worked at Sky Sports as a pundit on the NFL coverage and still knowing a lot of people involved at Isleworth, there are definitely some people presenting who are there solely for their looks.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Having worked at Sky Sports as a pundit on the NFL coverage and still knowing a lot of people involved at Isleworth, there are definitely some people presenting who are there solely for their looks.

So if you're not there now can we surmise that you're a bit... underwhelming in the looks department! :p

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So if you're not there now can we surmise that you're a bit... underwhelming in the looks department! :p

Heh heh heh - the make-up department had to work overtime when I was there. I did the NFL coverage as a freelance for two years on camera and then several more writing pre-game scripts. Quite happy to just be an occasional contributor off-air these days. When it comes to live TV work, the colour of andrenaline is brown.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Okay, head above the parapet here. I think it's a nonsense and the women Sky are employing as pundits shouldn't be there. No problem if the central presenter but pundit, no.

Who are the pundits? They aren't journalists, they are top level pro's who have played at or close to the level they are discussing. They have credibility because they have been in similar circumstances. The women on as pundits can discuss women's football but can not have the same credibility as the men. You may as well have non league players on there if they can talk well. Whether the ladies can talk well is irrelevant, it's about credibility and they don't have it.

Being a former pro doesn't mean you will be a good pundit. Yes, they have credibility and obviously get a chance to show what they can do.

Being a top pundit is a totally different skill set and in my view, broadcasters would do well to bring in some 'analysts' or 'pundits' who haven't played the game but are great communicators, analysts, personalities.

Fed up with listening to Graeme Souness trot out the same chat about Arsenal that he's had on repeat for about 10 years regardless of what performance or result he is commenting on.

Look at two top managers of the last while, Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho. Not even professional players in their prime, but very good managers - for different reasons.
Meanwhile guys like Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard get well paid managerial roles primarily on the basis of their playing careers. Not saying these two are duds - but very much unknown quantities as managers when they got jobs with Rangers and Derby.

As for the woman pundits, absolutely delighted to see some of this.
The bottom line is that a woman pundit will not have a presence as a pro footballer (yes, they may well have played the game at the top level, but will be pretty much an unknown, compared with 'ok' footballers such as Robbie Savage, Andy Gray, Jermaine Jenas etc). Therefore they will be only get as far as your TV if they are really good analysts and communicators.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grant85, being a good player doesn't make you a good manager, a good pundit or in fact anything else other than a good player. That may be all you can do, not a bad thing though! My point is that the pundit role in sports, up to this point, has been held by people who HAVE been at the top level, who have the credibility. Players who don't make good pundits should get rooted out, there are plenty out there ready to step in.

The pundits we have now will hopefully get their points across well but you also know that they have been out there in similar circumstances, they are elevated above the standard, normal fan. If you want to bring in professional pundits, non players, then that is fine but at the moment it comes out as tokenism.