Simple questions but ones I don't know the answer too!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So. Having played a few new courses in the last couple of weeks due to ours being under the River Ouse there have been occasions when I've been unsure of the club selection due to unfamiliar terrain.

1. Yardages to greens which are elevated or "sunken"...so the GPS gives me a yardage but what effect does the increase/decrease in elevation have - if any?

2. Ball above my feet. As I grip down my usual club for this shot do I need then to take 1 club more to offset the reduction in the shaft length? If this is the case does the reverse apply when it's below my feet?

Simples??

Thanks!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
green below take a club less. take a club more if the green is elevated. adjust if the hill is like a small mountain.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought ball above and below affects ball flight, I think below will go right (fade) and above left (draw) or vice versa. Please correct me if I am wrong.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought ball above and below affects ball flight, I think below will go right (fade) and above left (draw) or vice versa. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That's what I think too - although whenever I remember to allow for such events the ball refuses to obey the rules!

No mountains in play but plenty of elevated greens yesterday and was tending to come up short.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

That's what I call a positive response from someone certain of his facts.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
No mountains in play but plenty of elevated greens yesterday and was tending to come up short.

We have a long dogleg par 4, the last 120 yards or so uphill to an elevated green. It is guaranteed that 90% of players end up short on the slope leading up to the green.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
for the above and below you can adjust the line for the physics of the situation by aiming/alligning right or left by the angle of the slope ie if the balls above your feet on a 15 degree slope you just aim 15 degrees right of target and make your normal swing. Above will tend to be a little 'hotter' so if you grip down a little it won't matter, but in general you should stand square to the slope and normal grip rather than adjusting for it.

If the slope is uphill you will draw the ball - same adjustments for aim as above, and vice versa for a slight downhill lie. add club for uphill, more for uphill into wind, and less for down hill. this assumes target is at the same level.

if target is above or below there are formulae, but experience is best. uphill target off uphill slope into wind can require a surprising level of additional club!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to throw a spanner in the works. It is quite possible to draw/hook, when the ball is below your feet. Due to the heel of the club getting caught up by the slope. Though normally it will fade/slice. So just be aware of it?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ball below feet - extra club and swing smooth (posture/balance normally suffers)
Ball above feet - extra club and swing smooth (gripped down so less swingspeed)
Downhill lie - less club, lean with slope (less club as face is delofted)
Uphill lie - more club, lean with slope (more club as face has more loft)
Green uphill - more club (it's a longer carry)
Green downhill - less club (ball goes further more hang time)

Majority of bad shots from the 1st 4 on the list come from the hips not turning properly... and bad balance.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Question 1)

If you are hitting to an uphill green then you need to take more club. Imagine the green being level with you at the same distance, you would us the appropriate club. If the green is the same distance forward but on an uphill slope then the ball will not have flown its full trajectory when it lands so the same club will be short. Depending on the amount of slope you will need more club, although it will tend to run out more when it lands.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mr Pelz disagrees

he says that ball above feet will pull / hook (because you sit the sole of teh club on the slope) as stated above

BUT

he says that a ball below your feet does NOT slice/fade, because you dont actually sit the sole of the club on the down slope below your feet - it is really just the heel that touches the ground.

Still a difficult shot though

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's what happens to the clubface when your club is above or below your feet

[video=youtube;wQr_RjnSsDo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQr_RjnSsDo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Right! That's it! Someone has chopped up a V-Easy to make a video.....

.... Name??? :angry: :confused:

Don't panic.
It's only a piece of dowling painted in the V-Easy colours with a magnet on the end.
It just shows how the clubface opens and closes when you lift and lower the shaft.
So, ball above the feet, aim right
Ball below the feet, aim left. (right handed)
Then swing NORMALLY.