Silly golfers? (Covid regs)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played in the Bideford Bay Pairs this week, well worth doing if you get the chance.

At Saunton on Thursday, they have fitted the ball removal cantilever thingies to their flag sticks. I sat in the bar and watched many groups on the 18th remove the ball by bending down, and pulling the lever, BY HAND.:oops: I am no virologist, but given that the club have provided them, why not use them eh?

Equally, clear signage in both clubhouses about one way walking, how many people allowed in various places...clearly too difficult for some to work out what was meant.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my playing mates makes me smile. We have the type that just lift up with the putter head, he does not want to use the head of his club for some reason and turns the putter 90 degrees and uses the side of the grip.

Chico84

Visit site
I was impressed at the Springs last week. On the first tee box they had installed a flag and demonstrated how to use the lever thingy for every group before they teed off.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my playing mates makes me smile. We have the type that just lift up with the putter head, he does not want to use the head of his club for some reason and turns the putter 90 degrees and uses the side of the grip.
I would likely do the same. I have a mint condition putter that’s black so could possibly be marked very easily.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a few that seem unable to use the lever device as well and bend down to retrieve the ball. I have to be honest and say as force of habit I have found myself starting to do the same before catching myself. The biggest issue is definitely with people not following directions, especially going in and out of the bar from the patio. Frustrating as it's for all our benefits

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club only just got these things, saw them for the first time last week. I don't know if they got the cheapest version going or what but I thought they were crap. Just a bit of metal hooked over, and they spin round the flag too easily so a few times when trying to use my putter to lift it, it just slipped off the putter head and dropped down again. Might trying using my shoe on them next time. :confused:

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was impressed at the Springs last week. On the first tee box they had installed a flag and demonstrated how to use the lever thingy for every group before they teed off.
Indeed, however the tiny clip you are supposed to lift up with the putter head is way too small, kept slipping off mid lift.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have the rubber-sleeved handle ball-lifter thingies on our flag. They couldn't be simpler to use, and all who I play with have got into the practice of spinning the handle to point away from the line of the putt about to be played - so for me the easiness of spinning the handle is a plus rather than a negative.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have the rubber-sleeved handle ball-lifter thingies on our flag. They couldn't be simpler to use, and all who I play with have got into the practice of spinning the handle to point away from the line of the putt about to be played - so for me the easiness of spinning the handle is a plus rather than a negative.
I'm going to have to start doing this. In my match yesterday my opponent holed a 20+ footer for birdie. I had a 20 foot putt also, hit it perfect line and weight and it hit the metal lifter thing that was facing me head on and bounced out. Not that I expected to hole it, but if it wasn't on there it would have dropped without a doubt. Already hating these things after only two rounds. I much preferred just picking it out of the shallow cups.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm going to have to start doing this. In my match yesterday my opponent holed a 20+ footer for birdie. I had a 20 foot putt also, hit it perfect line and weight and it hit the metal lifter thing that was facing me head on and bounced out. Not that I expected to hole it, but if it wasn't on there it would have dropped without a doubt. Already hating these things after only two rounds. I much preferred just picking it out of the shallow cups.

We had a few complaints from the old boys as there were several bounce outs in their senior comp last Monday so I made sure the two handles were face on rather than having one side pointing at the line of the put ready to bounce the ball back. Becoming a chore after the two weekend rounds but when you have good scores going like I had perhaps worth the effort.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

Ours aren’t great think one of the lads made them bespoke

Cost me a comp win yesterday ... 3 foot putt straight onto the plastic that separates the top circle and bottom circle bounced out ... the pace and line was spot on

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO a ball that is travelling too fast will bounce out if it hits the rods. The rods will absorb enough energy of a slower ball to cause it to drop in.
My mate who is a Mickelson putter (ie 4' past if it doesn't go in) hates them.
Being a tennis player my mind tells me that a too long ball (ie beyond the baseline) loses the point. So my misses are short rather than long, so always set the rod(s) to the side (also making a bigger energy absorption target).

It's all in the mind.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
IMO a ball that is travelling too fast will bounce out if it hits the rods. The rods will absorb enough energy of a slower ball to cause it to drop in.
My mate who is a Mickelson putter (ie 4' past if it doesn't go in) hates them.
Being a tennis player my mind tells me that a too long ball (ie beyond the baseline) loses the point. So my misses are short rather than long, so always set the rod(s) to the side (also making a bigger energy absorption target).

It's all in the mind.

That's why I leave then short, I never twigged, all the fault of tennis ??