Silloth Handicapping

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just finished scoring for a "Silloth" handicapped event at my club and, out of curiosity, wonder if anyone can explain the mathematical justification for it.

For those who don't know it, it is a system for handicapping pairs in a better ball stroke competition. Subtract the difference between the higher handicap and the lower one from 18 and then divide the number by 3. Subtract that number from the lower handicap to get the side's handicap (to 1 decimal place). It can result in plus handicaps.

As I say just curious. I can work the formula, but I don't know the basis of it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest there's absolutely NO mathematical basis for it - except (Purely imo) to encourage/force teams to be pairs of pretty much equal handicap!!

Consider 4 players, 2 off 6 and 2 off 18...

If the 2 6s and the 2 18s played as pairs, they'd be off 6 and 18 resp. But if they split (each pair a 6 and an 18) then both pairs would be off 2! That's ridiculous!

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I once paired up with 3 old boys at Irvine and we played 'Dan's rules' Played pairs, everyone off scratch, when a pair lost a hole they got a shot on the next hole. If they didn't win that then 2 shots on the hole after that......then 3 shots, 4 shots etc until they did win a hole and it reverted back to scratch again. I think the idea was that the match finished up pretty much level or thereabouts. This Silloth handicapping sounds like it may also be some similar local system to ensure close matches??

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I once paired up with 3 old boys at Irvine and we played 'Dan's rules' Played pairs, everyone off scratch, when a pair lost a hole they got a shot on the next hole. If they didn't win that then 2 shots on the hole after that......then 3 shots, 4 shots etc until they did win a hole and it reverted back to scratch again. I think the idea was that the match finished up pretty much level or thereabouts. This Silloth handicapping sounds like it may also be some similar local system to ensure close matches??

How bizarre, may just as well play winner take all on the 18th if you want to guarantee a close game ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

How bizarre, may just as well play winner take all on the 18th if you want to guarantee a close game ;)

I guess the losers pay for the cup of tea afterwards which can be a lot of money to a pensioner so a halved game is the best outcome ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
LOL.Another with the poor pensioners smelly stuff. The golden generation with their Full Salary Pensions. Give it a rest.

Years of working in the insurance industry made me realise that there were very people who would actually retire on a full pension.

40 years working for the same company, not many would do that.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd suggest there's absolutely NO mathematical basis for it - except (Purely imo) to encourage/force teams to be pairs of pretty much equal handicap!!

Consider 4 players, 2 off 6 and 2 off 18...

If the 2 6s and the 2 18s played as pairs, they'd be off 6 and 18 resp. But if they split (each pair a 6 and an 18) then both pairs would be off 2! That's ridiculous!

2 6's togther would have a handicap of 0.
2 18's together would have a handicap of 12

6 and an 18 would have handicap of 2

D

Deleted Member 1156

LOL.Another with the poor pensioners smelly stuff. The golden generation with their Full Salary Pensions. Give it a rest.

Chill out, it was just a bit of jest as shown by the winking face.