Should you have 1 swing for every club?

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am having a lot of lessons at the moment and finally this week 2 good range sessions with the irons I feel I have more control and get a nice baby draw (used to always be a fade).

however when I take out my rescue, 3/5W and driver I can't stop hooking the golf ball!!!

should I swing those clubs differently?

Any advice gratefully received as always :)

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO its one swing. The set up changes however, depending on club and shot type. I think this has popped up before and I seem to recall a varied opinion.

Why not upload a vid so that Bob can take a look?

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've always had a more draw biased swing with my driver and woods whereas my iron shots have always been dead straight (when I hit them well, anyway). Recently I've been making sure to use the same draw biased swing with all of my shots and it makes the transition from driver to irons much easier as I don't need to worry about a different swing path.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think when you have a driver, fairwaywood etc your feeling of exit point is different to irons

Maybe you are trying to "hit" the ball with the woods and not swinging through the ball towards the target line

I for one have suffered this and sometimes poor tempo can introduce this i.e swinging too hard

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are we talking chicken and egg?

:)

Basically, it's the same swing. Any conscious effort to do different things is madness of the "straight to the lunatic asylum" stuff

Let the set up take care of things.

The way I see it, certain characteristics of a swing can make it more or less suited to clubs at one end of the bag. For example, if you deliberately hold back your weight on the driver OR throw your weight forward for short clubs, you might find you get some good results, but ultimately, tinker around too much and sooner or later you are going to mess yourself up. If the swing is good, leave it be, let the set-up (including the ball position/tee height etc) do the work.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have lots depending on what type of shot I want to hit.
From a low punch wedge, higher flop shot, standard mid iron, fairway wood, low draw driver, high cut driver etc etc.

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi guys I took a video tonight and one thing was very clear I have a tendency to go massively across the line. Any tips or videos for stopping across the line?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorry, no tips - Bob's the one for those, once you actually agree what 'across the line' means!

And the concept is BASICALLY the same swing for every club. Width of stance, distance away from the ball and length of swing tend to differ for each club (so quite a lot of actual difference!), but the tempo and feeling (if maybe not the actual plane should be the same.

And, of course, if the shot required is different from 'standard', then the swing will almost certainly be different too!

Here's Jack's vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4smKIu2uARU

Last edited: