Should we get rid of the need for handiccp certificates for visitors to play?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I ask as I am not a member of a club and at times have needed handicap certificates to play on some courses. And my mate who is a member of a club has faked some for me.

My handicap would be in the mid 20s so I am no Rory. But then again I can get round most courses in under 100, I have a decent set of clubs and dress like a golfer, so I do not completely disgrace myself.

I can kind of understand why some courses used to insist on them to keep the happy hackers away and stop them messing up the course. But then again the cost of a round, and the fact that most of those types of courses have a starter watching you tee off would probably deter most happy hackers anyway. So I don't see the need for them nowdays, especially in the current financial climate where you would expect courses would need the revenue.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes we should get rid - they prove nothing apart from the fact you have the money to join a club.
And those that demand 24 or less need to take a look at how many of their Members have handicaps that high. Their reason for needing less than 24?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes we should get rid - they prove nothing apart from the fact you have the money to join a club.
And those that demand 24 or less need to take a look at how many of their Members have handicaps that high. Their reason for needing less than 24?

I think it is their subtle way of keeping non affiliated societies away as they are notoriously slow compared to most club golfers. Just my opinion :)
I am a member of a club and a non union affiliated society and the society is rather hard work sometimes.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree, up until recently I was a pay and play golfer and not having a hcap certificate barred me from plenty of local clubs, despite me being a reasonably competent golfer who is familiar with rules and etiquette.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a difficult one. You get some societies who are 'proper golfers' that know how to play safely, look after the course and move at a reasonable speed. Some are awful though, spraying the ball, hootin and a hollerin, slow and completely ignorant of rules and etiquette.
How do you police this? It seems best to use handicaps as a first line filter (although as explained these can be faked)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see the merits. Been to some places where societies are playing and some have barely picked up a club in their life let alone have an idea of the right etiquette. I can see how these certificates can perhaps help. However on the flip side I don't want to put anyone off the game and socieities are a good way for beginners to get a game sometimes. It has merits on both sides

Idlenorth1

Head Pro
Visit site
Played the belfry last March and website says hcp certificates must be produced, on the day we checked in and was told they don't check as over 500 people playing the 3 courses that day and they don't have time.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
..... I don't see the need for them nowdays, especially in the current financial climate where you would expect courses would need the revenue.

if the club/course needs the revenue they won't be an enforced requirement....simples

handicap limits are another thing, but as someone who used to take guests to a number of courses with restrictions, there was absolutely nothing worse than being held up by people who clearly shouldn't be on that course, so the difficulties it presented me in ensuring the competence of my invites was a smaller issue - the alternative of dumbing down the set up for a wider group has been implemented in many places, but just means that the good golfers are the ones that no longer get the 'true experience'.

as indicated in a number of other threads, there are as many people leaving clubs (or making their decisions about staying) on the basis of the fall-out from such policies as there are 'visitor costs'.

as to societies, I agree with the poster who suggested that they exist at many levels - clubs know this too and, over time (decades not months!) relationships are established. I belong to 2 that have access to courses that don't accept un-introduced visitors at all!

joe nustedt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the requirement will fade out over time, have played quite a few places where on the website it will say certificates required, but when you speak to them on the phone they say they're not needed.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if the club/course needs the revenue they won't be an enforced requirement....simples

handicap limits are another thing, but as someone who used to take guests to a number of courses with restrictions, there was absolutely nothing worse than being held up by people who clearly shouldn't be on that course, so the difficulties it presented me in ensuring the competence of my invites was a smaller issue - the alternative of dumbing down the set up for a wider group has been implemented in many places, but just means that the good golfers are the ones that no longer get the 'true experience'....

Why shouldn't they be on the course? They've paid their money they deserve the chance to play. It should be down to the course marshals to manage them better and if one group is particularly slow to ask them to either speed up or let other groups through.

JPH

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

handicap limits are another thing, but as someone who used to take guests to a number of courses with restrictions, there was absolutely nothing worse than being held up by people who clearly shouldn't be on that course, so the difficulties it presented me in ensuring the competence of my invites was a smaller issue - the alternative of dumbing down the set up for a wider group has been implemented in many places, but just means that the good golfers are the ones that no longer get the 'true experience'.

as indicated in a number of other threads, there are as many people leaving clubs (or making their decisions about staying) on the basis of the fall-out from such policies as there are 'visitor costs'.

as to societies, I agree with the poster who suggested that they exist at many levels - clubs know this too and, over time (decades not months!) relationships are established. I belong to 2 that have access to courses that don't accept un-introduced visitors at all!

I think people should self police a little bit , I wouldn't go near a top course at the moment because I'd be embarrassed by my awful play , when I get a bit better then happy days

DCB

Visit site
Interesting thread with some interesting responses. Fortunately it's not a thing I've come across much up here in Scotland. Only place I've ever been asked for a handicap certificate was at Carnoustie on the championship course. I was refused at a course down south once as I couldn't produce a handicap certificate, it wasn't even a top course just a glorified pay & play that had recently opened.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why shouldn't they be on the course? They've paid their money they deserve the chance to play. It should be down to the course marshals to manage them better and if one group is particularly slow to ask them to either speed up or let other groups through.

And what happens when your course does not have a 'Marshal'?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Begs the question "Why stipulate them when they don't check them?".

Societies are not the only visitors to golf.clubs...