Shots in matchplay

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On the course today I was asked in matchplay, if you receive shots from your opponent, would you prefer to have them on the lower index holes, the higher index holes, chose which ones i.e. maybe starting with par 3’s/ 5’s/ 4’s/ your random selection. Over the course of the morning I changed my mind 3 times – and I’m still not sure.

I do of course recognise that the index is not necessarily an accurate guide to the difficulty of the hole – hence the question of choice.

Taking a shot on an “easier” hole might give you a chance to win it – you have to win holes in matchplay. Taking a shot on a “harder” hole might give you a chance to not lose it. How well do you play par 3’s or par 5’s in a matchplay situation.

Thoughts???

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
@Pants - I can definitely see your thought process and if it’s a course I know then it would be great to change where I use the shots. There are three holes I always balls up which if I recall are 14-18 s/i.

It would become sticky in a inter club match if you hadn’t played that course yet or vice versa.

Good food for thought though as effectively that’s kinda how a stableford score card would no doubt pan out.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most, or certainly a lot of, courses I’ve played don’t seem to have much connection between hole difficulty and SI.

They follow guidance about spreading them out. Index 1 and 2 are in the middle of either half and holes 1, 9, 10 and 11 are often index about 8 to 11.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
@Pants if you want to wear shorts in Matchplay I'd say go right ahead... sorry misread title, too many dress-code threads ;)

I initially thought I'd choose to use the shots on my personal 'bogey' holes, but that may be a waste if its similar bogey holes for opponent
I doubt I'd need chances for nett eagles on par 5's so that rules them out
I guess the holes I don't stroke on in stableford (the par 3's) gives me a better chance of not losing those holes but I see what you're saying that you need to win holes to win a match

I'm gonna plump for using them all on the back 9 from 18th backwards (depending on No of shots) that way I'm never likely to be out of it and opponent will have a tough run in

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends who I was playing probably. If I was playing someone who's a longer hitter than me, I'd just want my shots on the longest holes. Otherwise, long par 3s would be good holes to take shots on I think. The kind of holes that are difficult to par but easy to bogey.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If your SIs are spread around as per the guidelines then it's a bit swings and roundabouts....shots on harder holes, shots on easier ones.
But if your SIs are based on difficulty it can become and issue.
A previous club had SI 1 as a 459 yard par 4.
Bloody difficult to par but a, relatively, straightforward bogey.
Giving a shot on that hole meant, mostly, having to par it to make the half......very occasionally a bogey would win it if your oppo had been in trouble.
SI 2 was similar....a par 4 uphill...again a very tough par but a straightforward bogey.....same issue....

But since I don't play much Matchplay any more I'm not too fussed and our SIs are spread as per the guidelines

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing worse than giving shots on a par 3, so by that reckoning I'd want the shots on a par 3!
When playing mixed foursomes matchplay with my partner, we often have to give 7 shots or more, and our SI 7 is a 210 yard uphill par 3. It's the worst hole to give a shot on, we pretty much lose it every time, since most people can make a bogey on it, but it's very difficult for us to make par when my partner tees it off and I have to hit a 50-60 yard pitch to the green.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When playing mixed foursomes matchplay with my partner, we often have to give 7 shots or more, and our SI 7 is a 210 yard uphill par 3. It's the worst hole to give a shot on, we pretty much lose it every time, since most people can make a bogey on it, but it's very difficult for us to make par when my partner tees it off and I have to hit a 50-60 yard pitch to the green.

I'd say you need a sort of '2nd club off the tee' option. Maybe something that goes 200-210 ish (y)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
This was a format that we would sometimes play decades ago.
Two types,
Name the holes before round.
Announce on the tee, before any tee-shots played, as you go round.

I would take mine on the shortest/easiest par 4s.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's often struck me that shots should be given on the SIs where there is a difference in handicaps.
For example, consider a 10 handicapper against a 5 handicapper.
They are both expected to bogey SI 1 and par SI 18.
The 5 HCP is expected to par SI 6 while the 10 HCP is expected to bogey it.
So the 10 HCP should get shots on SIs 6-10 rather than 1-5.

But of course this would cause confusion, so the way it is now is probably the best compromise.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's often struck me that shots should be given on the SIs where there is a difference in handicaps.

But of course this would cause confusion, so the way it is now is probably the best compromise.
I've often thought that as well. I think it would be a good way of doing it. Although it would probably be more confusing if say I, a 15 handicap, was playing against my 23 handicap mate - he would get shots on 16 to 18 and also 1 to 5. So the hardest and the easiest. Maybe that benefits him too much?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thoughts? None, the Rules tell you how to proceed.
Yes. We know that :rolleyes: It was a hypothetical "what if" - just for discussion and peoples thoughts.

Interesting to see the different thought processes going on here though (y)

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site

This isn't how SIs, hole difficulty and expected scores for various handicaps work.

wjemather

Visit site
@Pants if you want to wear shorts in Matchplay I'd say go right ahead... sorry misread title, too many dress-code threads ;)

I initially thought I'd choose to use the shots on my personal 'bogey' holes, but that may be a waste if its similar bogey holes for opponent
I doubt I'd need chances for nett eagles on par 5's so that rules them out
I guess the holes I don't stroke on in stableford (the par 3's) gives me a better chance of not losing those holes but I see what you're saying that you need to win holes to win a match

I'm gonna plump for using them all on the back 9 from 18th backwards (depending on No of shots) that way I'm never likely to be out of it and opponent will have a tough run in
But your opponent has an easier ride before getting there and you risk losing before receiving many of your shots.

Doesn't matter where the shots come. In matchplay a 6 beats a 7 and so I just want to keep myself in a hole if I am giving shots and not squander a shot hole if receiving by making a mistake and giving the hole away or at least nullyfying the shot
It does if you lose the match before getting to use one or more of your shots.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does if you lose the match before getting to use one or more of your shots.
I have this problem playing against my mate. He gives me 3 shots. SI 3 is the 16th though - on Sunday he had beaten me 4 & 3 by then. I won the 16th as well but it was too late.

Worse than that, our place has a three-tee start - obviously for an official match we'd always go off the 1st, but as it's just for fun we might be starting off the 8th or the 13th. Unfortunately stroke 1 & 2 are the 12th and the 7th. :LOL: