Shot Trackers - Opinions please.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've dabbled with Game Golf before but suffered a lack of accuracy - those who know Blackmoor, my tee shot on the first was taken from the middle of the housing estate 45° right of the tee box and about 75 yards away. This could have been a fault with the unit as I had accuracy issues at The Zoo as well.
Anyway, there's a few of these trackers on the market now.
Is GG still the default or is Arcoss better? Does Shot Scope work? Some so-so reviews from USA..
Skycaddie version..Linx GT? Any good.?

Which gives the best stats?

Ta in advance:thup:

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've dabbled with Game Golf before but suffered a lack of accuracy - those who know Blackmoor, my tee shot on the first was taken from the middle of the housing estate 45° right of the tee box and about 75 yards away. This could have been a fault with the unit as I had accuracy issues at The Zoo as well.
Is GG still the default or is Arcoss better? Does Shot Scope work? Some so-so reviews from USA..

i have shot scope v2 and so far no problems, the watch is a bit big, but i don`t notice it on my wrist. The good thing is you don`t need to tag and the watch now has gps distances as well. It has also added the option to add penalty shots as well.
The pin collect is good as well as it will give you decent putting stats. It gives data for fairway hit,greens hit,where your miss is, avrage puts per round,percentage up and downs, averages on club usage etc.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

I've stopped using my GameGolf and have been using the new taylormade app instead (i just do it retrospectively).

If your having issues with its accuracy i'd be emailing gamegolf (whose customer service is second to none) and asking questions, it might be the way the course is mapped.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've stopped using my GameGolf and have been using the new taylormade app instead (i just do it retrospectively).

If your having issues with its accuracy i'd be emailing gamegolf (whose customer service is second to none) and asking questions, it might be the way the course is mapped.

I had not come across that, just downloaded it - looks pretty good! The tee positions at my home course are all wrong so I just emailed support about it, don't seem to be able to change them myself? But yeah I can see that adding them after the fact is a pretty hassle-free (not to mention free) way of doing this. Nice one.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had not come across that, just downloaded it - looks pretty good! The tee positions at my home course are all wrong so I just emailed support about it, don't seem to be able to change them myself? But yeah I can see that adding them after the fact is a pretty hassle-free (not to mention free) way of doing this. Nice one.

You select where you hit your shots from so the tee positions don’t really make any difference mate

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got the original Shotscope Ian and thoroughly impressed with it. Simplecto setup, use and the watch is extremely light and doesn't interfere with play. V2 looks impressive with the built-in GPS.

Imurg

Visit site
I've got the original Shotscope Ian and thoroughly impressed with it. Simplecto setup, use and the watch is extremely light and doesn't interfere with play. V2 looks impressive with the built-in GPS.

Hadn't thought of the original Shotscope.....I have GPS and Laser so don't really need another so that might be the one..
Cheers

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had Game Golf and sold it as kept forgetting to tag the shots so looked into the variety of different ones available and narrowed down to using either Arccos 360 and Shotscope... being a Scottish Company and cheaper I so wanted to go with Shotscope but I don't think the analytics are quite there compared to Arccos 360 from what i read when I looked at them all- I'm not sure if that has changed since last year.

I think you 1st of all need to ask what you want it for? If it's for average distances I'm sure all of them are fine but I don't read too much into the distances- why? Because at my course it can be very windy or very calm, you can be hitting 7 iron regularly uphill or vice versa, or you might only ever be hitting 5 iron on one hole up to an elevation etc so I think distances can be very situation dependant so better just getting stock distances from a Launch monitor.

I'm reading Mark Broadies every shot counts at the moment which talks about the strokes gained analytics used on PGA and the stats gained from Arccos 360 are very similar. Then they break down your stats for each part of your game and give you a relative handicap for driving, approach, Sand, chipping (basically off the green inside 50 yards), putting so for me it gives Driving 11 H/C, Approach 19.5, Chipping 15.8, Sand 10.0, Putting 10.5 and an average handicap of 14.1 (so where I probably should be).....

so it gives a good insight of where you need to concentrate (and I was actually surprised as I thought driving was my worst area).

They also give all the usual data too. FIR, GIR, misses left right, short long, putts per hole, putts per GIR etc

It's not without it's faults though- some times things like Bunkers not mapped properly so you need to go in and manually edit. You need to place pin position after round on every hole. Also if you have an android/Samsung phone I wouldn't recommend- it drains the battery very badly and usually I was having to manually add the last 2 holes as it kept dying after 16 holes (even though I started with 100% battery). Also very expensive. I have an iphone now and it lasts full round (take about 50% of battery)

pros of Arccos:
Stats are excellent and give a great insight on areas to work on
No need to tag shots just put phone in front pocket and away you go.
Tags are small and lightweight so you don't even notice them
No need to wear a watch with it

Cons:
Not cheap at £249
Occasionally doesn't record swing so you need to remember which club you hit and distance to manually edit (better if you have a watch to remember exact)
occasionally doesn't map right so might need to change lie to rough, fairway, sand etc
battery drains too bad on samsung/android phones
have manually edit where pin was and distance on 1st putt

Even with the cons I would recommend but just know there will be some frustration of having to do a bit of work post round

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've had Game Golf and sold it as kept forgetting to tag the shots so looked into the variety of different ones available and narrowed down to using either Arccos 360 and Shotscope... being a Scottish Company and cheaper I so wanted to go with Shotscope but I don't think the analytics are quite there compared to Arccos 360 from what i read when I looked at them all- I'm not sure<script id="gpt-impl-0.843126231500459" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_169.js"></script> if that has changed since last year.

I also had GG and sold it for exactly the same reason as you (and maybe because my belly kept knocking the GPS tracker device off my belt!!).

ShotScope are currently working on an update to their "stats dashboard"....due "any time now".

I've used it since it first came out and in terms of shot logging it is by far and away the best system of the three I've used (Game Golf and TM's MyroundPro being the other two).

There are a few quirks to SS and the way it defines some stats and interprets shots and you need to be aware of them to make the statistics "relevant/accurate".

For example.....the second shot on any par 4 or par 5 hole is classed as an "approach shot" and is therefore included in the approach shot stats.....these stats effectively define where your misses are and how accurate you are when "going for the green"....now if I'm 300yds out playing my 2nd into a par 5 then i'm certainly not going for the green.....so in order to treat the shot appropriately I have to tell the system that I've played a "positional" shot in post round editing (just as I would do if I was chipping out sideways from trees).

The other current major issue is that shots into par 3's are neither counted in your tee shot stats or in your approach shot stats so youve got no real idea whether you tend to miss left/right/long/short on par 3's (they do count for club distances and for GIR's)....apparrently SS are working on developing a dedicated Par 3 statistics section.....they told me this two weeks ago.....and they told me the same thing in August 2016....so i'm not holding my breath.

The easiest way of seeing these foibles of the system and understanding how the SS is calculating the various stats is to upload your very first round and then methodically work your way through the stats section, seeing what the system has calculated and doing the same thing for yourself manually....then you can learn how to "modify/edit" your round so that the system delivers stats that are relvant to you.

(I'd actually recommend doing this on any system so you learn how the shots are being interpreted - as an example SS shows three yardages for each club....Average, Performance Average and Longest...two of these are obvious but Performance Average? SS tell you it is a typical good yardage with the club...but for it to be of any relevance to you, you ideally need to understand how it is calculated....by logging tee shot distances over the early rounds when I first got SS and building up the picture I was able to model some formuale in Excel and as far as I can tell the P-Average stat is calculated as the 75th percentile of all your shot yardages for a particular club.....so if youd taken 100 shots and arranged all the yardgaes in ascending order then the P-average would be the 75th yardage in the list (i.e. the 25th longest).

The pin collect feature in V2 is much improved over V1.....the position of the pin is logged instantaneously where in V1 it would often take several seconds.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You select where you hit your shots from so the tee positions don’t really make any difference mate

So do the previews have little/nothing to do with the real round? On my home course this is the first hole, the tee is very far forward from where it should be - am I able to specify where I took my tee shot from in the real round? Cos if I'm stuck with this tee psoition (and they're more or less all wrong) then my driving stats won't be too impressive ;)

Shot.jpg

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got rid of my GG as well. Kept forgetting to tag and would end up spending time after the round trying to update what I'd done and remember what clubs etc I'd used from where. Often a few days after the round.

My original thinking on these products was they wouldn't tell me anything I don't already know but got one anyway because I like gadgets. I should have stuck with my original assessment. I know how far I hit my clubs, I know what my common misses are and I know I can't drive the ball for toffee.

The question you need to ask is this going to tell you anything you don't already know and is it going to change what you practice or how you play certain holes.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've bought GameGolf recently, purely because of cost. I was looking at ShotScope v2 & Arccos too.

Shotscope doesn't have the best stats, and even though they're due for updating, a lot of people are also having trouble with the unit tracking correctly. I also have a rangefinder, and use apps for distance on my phone so don't see the need for a GPS watch. Shotscope is by far the best for putting from what I can gather.

Arccos, I think is probably a better tracking system overall than both of them, however it struggles with putts, and requires you have your phone in your pocket (which people don't like) and it also struggles lots with putts.

With GameGolf, I just plan on making the tag part of my pre-shot routine (which I believe is what they wanted). However, from what I understand about GameGolf, they're pretty slow adding new stats/features, and tend not to concentrate on the important ones.

The biggest factor for me was that I was able to get GameGolf off Amazon during Cyber Monday for £92, with Arccos and Shotscope both being around £250, I figured that they were not worth the extra price. Even now at full price, Game Golf Live is £125.

Imurg

Visit site
I've bought GameGolf recently, purely because of cost. I was looking at ShotScope v2 & Arccos too.

Shotscope doesn't have the best stats, and even though they're due for updating, a lot of people are also having trouble with the unit tracking correctly. I also have a rangefinder, and use apps for distance on my phone so don't see the need for a GPS watch. Shotscope is by far the best for putting from what I can gather.

Arccos, I think is probably a better tracking system overall than both of them, however it struggles with putts, and requires you have your phone in your pocket (which people don't like) and it also struggles lots with putts.

With GameGolf, I just plan on making the tag part of my pre-shot routine (which I believe is what they wanted). However, from what I understand about GameGolf, they're pretty slow adding new stats/features, and tend not to concentrate on the important ones.

The biggest factor for me was that I was able to get GameGolf off Amazon during Cyber Monday for £92, with Arccos and Shotscope both being around £250, I figured that they were not worth the extra price. Even now at full price, Game Golf Live is £125.

Did you consider the SS V1?
I have a decent GPS and a laser so another range finder is pointless. I also don't want to have my phone in my pocket..
Seriously considering the V1 or Game Golf.
Wear a watch- type thing or wear a red box on your belt..🤔

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I purchased my GG (classic) last year in my Pros Christmas sale.

Made the tagging part of my pre shot routine, took perhaps an extra 1-2 seconds per shot.

Found it to be quite accurate at my course. Use it mostly for post game stats, and learning my lengths.

Thinking back, I have rarely had to edit the round much. I think the most I have edited, is after forgetting to turn it on early enough before my tee off.. I have tagged 1/2 way up the 1st fairway and then edited the drive back to the tee box.

What it has shown me, is my lack of consistency and great variance in the ability to hit a straight ball often :(

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
So do the previews have little/nothing to do with the real round? On my home course this is the first hole, the tee is very far forward from where it should be - am I able to specify where I took my tee shot from in the real round? Cos if I'm stuck with this tee psoition (and they're more or less all wrong) then my driving stats won't be too impressive ;)

View attachment 24016

No not really because even if your tapping your phone on every shot the GPS will pick it up and if it’s wrong you just tap on it and move it to where it should be

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No not really because even if your tapping your phone on every shot the GPS will pick it up and if it’s wrong you just tap on it and move it to where it should be

Good stuff thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl next weekend (first round in 3 months, stats should be interesting)