Short Stick Woes.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Right, not for the first time this year, i have ruined a potentially good round with poor putting. Yesterday the greens were very "green", i don't think they had been cut for a good few days looking at them, quite sandy and very bobbly, but i am digging for excuses.

Fundamentally, my putting has gone down the toilet. Shot 5 x 3 putts and a good number of 2 putts that should have been 1's for a total of 39 putts!! :eek::eek: I made Justin Rose look good yesterday! I still scored 31 points, so i am actually playing the rest of the game OK, in fact my iron play was pretty awesome yesterday, hit all par 3's, left a lot of irons close for a chance and even stuck a hybrid to 10ft from 200+, just can not convert these opportunities!

So, here is my problem, what do i do from here?

I have it in my head its the putter, now i know deep down its the knob holding it, however its still lingering in my mind. Should i simply make time for more practice on proper practice greens? In my living room, i can hole everything from 4-15ft! couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo on the course.

weight is way off, left some 30ft putts 15ft short for example!! and direction is simply a lottery!? i have changed my grip back to a more traditional grip, i "think" my lower half is quiet and posture i "think" is OK.

How do i get through this??! just get out more and practice practice practice i think is the right answer, but on that i am a firm believer in practicing the right things! so maybe i a need a pro to help me get back on track. And then my naughty thought is buy a new shiney and all my problems will be over!

so frustrated. But in typing this, i think i need my pro to review and point me in the right direction so to speak and then just practice.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you a wristy putter?

I don't think I am bob, but in all honesty I probably am and it could be a whole host of issues. I might have to make a smaller purchase if you know what i mean ;), i saw them for sale in the pro shop at Sandford springs yesterday!

just lost all confidence in getting the ball even remotely close.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think I am bob, but in all honesty I probably am and it could be a whole host of issues. I might have to make a smaller purchase if you know what i mean ;), i saw them for sale in the pro shop at Sandford springs yesterday!

just lost all confidence in getting the ball even remotely close.

You know it makes sense :thup:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
You know it makes sense :thup:

It must be technique must it not?! just needed someone to tell me to stop being stupid thinking it was the putters fault! LOL

Do you have any tips or hints towards a practice routine on the short stuff? use only 1 ball or a handful? work on distance only for while and then direction, both, start with the short ones and work back? any links to any insightful youtube vids?

Looking for a "regime" that i can do after the range balls, you know

1. hit ten balls XYZ distance
2. putt out 10 balls from 3 feet
3. putt out 10 balls from 5ft
4. blah blah
5. putt ball within 2ft from 20ft etc etc...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For distance control use this............
With 3 balls, position yourself on the putting green where you can see 3 holes. Short, medium and long.
Putt the first ball at the short(S) hole, second at the medium(M) and third at the long (L) hole.
Then, putt the first ball from where it finished at the long hole. Then do the same with the second ball.
Repeat but in different holes and order. So M,S then L or L, S then M and so on.
This drill means you dont have the same putt twice in a row.
Just be aware how the length of the backswing determines how far the ball will travel, not how hard you've hit it.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can't speak for Bob, not would I try, but I use a putting drill that may help if you're leaving putts short.

Put a tee peg in the ground about 18"-2ft behind the hole.

Walk out to the distance you struggle to get the ball up from. The idea is to hit putts that have enough pace to get past the hole, but not past the tee peg and giving you a tricky putt back. You're looking to leave the ball, ideally in the hole, but if you miss, it makes it past the hole.

Never up, never in and all that :smirk:

I've used this drill pretty much since I started and I only leave the odd put short. The one's I do leave are generally a bad wedge to the wrong end of the green. A putt that really should have its own bus route :mad:

.... Even then, they aren't much more than a couple of feet short.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
If its a confidence thing then if you work out why your low it may help.
Is it the fact your worried over the 30 footer, or the one you'll have coming back from 3feet?
I struggled lots with the putter but am getting there now.
Fully commit to the first putt, and accept what's left wether its stone dead or a few feet. If u don't commit to the putt u won't give it your best effort. I try to hole everything, I still have the odd 3 putt but so does everyone, however I hole a fair share of 1 putts too.
I know some don't buy into rotella but his putting book is canny and worth a go.
Good luck

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your input Bob especially, appreciate it! and some great points and some great ideas for the putting green from everyone!

Cheers again!

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I have struggled with my putting for 10years. I do get nervous over short 18 inch putts usually miss one a round. The biggest problem has been my distance putting though. Leave one 10ft short, the next dead weight and then one 6ft past has killed me. I tried many drills on the practice green but I have found only using one ball, taking practice strokes to feel the pace you want to play has made me a much better distance putter than I was before. I only use 1 ball to practice as there's more pressure to get it right.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
personally I would relax about it for the next 2 weeks - for most you are going to see very uneven but significant growth with the combination of temperatures, sunlight, changing cut heights and feeding programs.

won't take long and we will come out the other side - but I wouldn't get stressed about 'problems' just now.

always good to undertake putting drills though!