short pitchs/chips from deep rough

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
With the wet weather recently the rough at the course I play, and I'm sure most courses, has got longer.

Any tips on how to chip and pitch from these kind of lies? How do you address the ball because obviously you can't put the club behind the ball.

Cheers

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are playing from thick wet rough then you need to hit down on the ball more. Get the ball back in your stance and hit it from a steep angle, the last thing you want is the club sweeping in behind the ball getting tangled up in all that rough.

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How do you address the ball because obviously you can't put the club behind the ball,.

Cheers

I thought it was ok to ground the club in rough outside of a hazard as long you aren't pressing down or making loads of backswings to improve the area of your swing or moving the ball.

Can anyone clarify please?

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
PS I seem to have had reasonable success popping the ball out of the greenside stuff with a steep swing as above and not too much follow through

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes you can ground the club, if you want. But 2 thing. The rough is so thick you would find it hard to do, plus the start of the backswing would be very hard. 2, if you cause the ball to move, which is likely. A penalty. One shot I think? Better safe than sorry.

At are club at the moment you would find it hard if not impossible to find the ball. Even if it has only just rolled in. The way the rough is at the moment.

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
OK cheers Dave.

In our greenside and first cuts they are normally findable but any further than that ands its virtually impossible.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
1st rule from deep rough is to get it out - preferably on the green but out is the first aim....

Wet and clingy rough - especially clover - is a nightmare if you need a delicate shot.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had one of these today. Rough not only deep and think but wet. I coudn't even get the club head within 6 inches of the ball at address.

Only 10 yards or so off the green so I'm looking to just pop it up.

I played it a bit like a bunker shot. SW, open the face, ball a wee bit further back in the stance than for a bunker shot though. Steep back swing and hit hard, don't quit. Managed to get to about 4 feet and hole the putt. Was very chuffed.