Short Game Distance Control - LH golfer playing RH

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
Had an interesting conversation about distance control at the weekend.

I am left handed but play right handed. I played Cricket right handed as a child and it never occured to play Golf any other way.

The Pro and I discussed distance control in the putting stroke and he stated the right-hand controls this for a right handed stroke. However, as this is not my dominant hand I struggle. To illustrate this we rolled golf balls to a pin with both hands, naturally I was consistently closer with left handed throws.

He believed my distance control could be improved with practice, but that I was at a natural disadvantage.

I also have issues with distance control when chipping and wonder if this is also related.

I have no intention of changing to a left handed putter. Therefore, my question is does anyone else play golf 'wrong handed'? If so, have you been made aware of any similar issues and what did you do to overcome them?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Phil Mickelson does it the other way round and seems to manage.....

My dad was a LH who golfed RH. He was a cat 1 golfer in his prime and pretty good at chipping/putting as I recall.

Can't give you any specific advice unfortunately.

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Same here, I am left handed. The first time I played was with a borrowed set of RH clubs and just kept going with RH play. My distance control of medium and long putts is the greatest cause of poor scores. Interesting what you say.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played with a few people who play right handed apart from putting. Is there any reason not to change to a left handed putter?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played with a few people who play right handed apart from putting. Is there any reason not to change to a left handed putter?

Is it that the right hand controls distance, or is it that the bottom hand controls it? If the latter, then why not switch to having the left hand as the lowest on the putter grip with the right hand on top? I'm sure it's not an uncommon grip anyway.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im right handed but play snooker left handed. no dont think it will make much difference what you do. you just have to practice what ever way you choose to put. sure even some of the pros are putting kack-handed. its just practice.

if you are in any doubt, grab a cheap left haned putter and see if its any better!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Might be worth trying to switch your grip around to left hand at the bottom. It would put your left hand more in control of the stroke imo.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might be worth trying to switch your grip around to left hand at the bottom. It would put your left hand more in control of the stroke imo.

Thats what i have been doing for about 6 months. I am right handed though... i felt it gave me more stability and almost eliminated any wrist movement. I am thinking of switching back to "normal" after my shocker with the short stick last week...

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
My old mans LH but plays golf RH and he's a demon of a putter, never bloody misses from 8feet and his distance control is seriously envious, he also putts left hand low and says being a left and putting this way from his RH stance makes his control feel much better as its pretty much the left hand leading the stroke and controlling it.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Phil Mickelson does it the other way round and seems to manage.....

Didn't do Tom Watson or Ben Hogan any harm as I remember either.

If you play to your natural handedness, the control hand is your naturally weaker hand, whilst the power hand is your naturally stronger hand. Some have suggested that this is the reason why Hogan & Watson are such good ball strikers.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
My m8's brother plays off scratch right handed and cant get a challenge so he plays left handed off 5.

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
I'm a leftie playing right, but I putt left-handed.

I putted right-handed for years (badly) then tried a left-handed putter. It instantly felt so much better. Feels like I stroke the ball towards the hole (forehand) whereas with a full-swing its a backhand.

Just to throw this into the mix... might be something to do with what "eyed" you are... I'm right eyed, and left handed, so I'm a bit of a screwup :D

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Christ on a bike!! Top thread!! Hahaha. I've no idea about an answer though!!

Interesting bunch we have here!!!

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am left handed but golf, bowling, guitar and darts all right handed. Does not feel right the other way yet writing snooker and racket sports all left as well as a few other things.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also cack handed in the context of this thread but I would start with a fundamental disagreement with the Pro as to what controls distance on putts.
If there is no wrist movement and your stroke involves. A simple rocking of the shoulders what has the left, or right hand, got to do with it?
Claw grip users take this to the extreme to ensure the lower hand doesn't get involved at all, those swapping hands do the same in a different way.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jimbooo makes a very good point with which eye is dominant.. i think this will have some bearing on how you putt.. if you are left eye dominant, putting right handed may be harder, as you are compensating body position to allow for the best view/swing..

Interesting topic... i started one a while back about my bro in law whom wanted to putt left handed (he is R/H)