Shoes and Cards

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
Having started playing a bit more regularly for the first time, I have two (unrelated questions) if anybody has guidance.

I'm thinking of shifting to spikeless shoes to remove the faff of changing before and after. However, do they still pick up the same amount of fluff and stuff on the bottom? Because then I'd still have to change out of spikeless anyway before getting into the car or tracking it all back in to the house.

And I've now got access to the County Card scheme. However, there are loads of courses who are members of the scheme but don't post their pricing or availability online with the rest of their green fees. Without having to ring up everywhere, is there a rough rule of thumb as to how much courses typically charge for County Card holders?

Cheers.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Shoes - any decent pair of spikeless trainers wouldnt grip any fluff etc for a sustained period unless its very wet! Id wear spikes in the very wet anyway though!

Recommended pairs -
Puma RSG are very comfy and waterproof
Nike Roshe are cheap, breathable and comfortable too.
My dad loves his sketchers - probably more of a traditionalist style if youre that bit older, mega comfy so im told and waterproof!

County cards - locally rates tend to be about £5-10 cheaper than the courses standard green fee, around £30, there or there abouts!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First Q - the idea is you only wear your spikeless trainer style shoes in summer when it's dry, so it'll only have a bit of dust and hay on them, quick brush on a doormat and sorted.

No idea on second Q.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I wear my spikless shoes all year round. Can't imagine ever going back to spiked shoes again.

I have 2 pairs. Some lightweight footjoy or other. Which grip really well but are a bit flimsy. And a pair of Nike Air Max 270 which are brilliant. Really comfortable and supportive where they need to be.

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Having started playing a bit more regularly for the first time, I have two (unrelated questions) if anybody has guidance.

I'm thinking of shifting to spikeless shoes to remove the faff of changing before and after. However, do they still pick up the same amount of fluff and stuff on the bottom? Because then I'd still have to change out of spikeless anyway before getting into the car or tracking it all back in to the house.

And I've now got access to the County Card scheme. However, there are loads of courses who are members of the scheme but don't post their pricing or availability online with the rest of their green fees. Without having to ring up everywhere, is there a rough rule of thumb as to how much courses typically charge for County Card holders?

Cheers.

I wear Skechers Go Golf Elite v4 and in my opinion they're unrivaled for comfort, very comfortable out of the box on the first wear.

They do pick up fluff on the bottom, but it seems to be only in the wet. As @Bdill93 says though, in the very wet, I'd be wearing spikes too.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is your course hilly or flat.
When wet slopes can be very slippery in spikeless .
I wear them in summer nothing on the soles unless wet as stated.
But in wet weather I think they hold more fluff than spikes do.
I wear spikes in winter and very wet conditions.

We have to contact the club we are visiting to book a tee so ask the price then .

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only have spikeless now, my club also has a spike bar so I don't bother changing to go into there either. No issue with bringing mud or grass in, it doesn't seem to cling to the bottom of the shoe.

County cards vary from county to county so there isn't a definitive answer. You would need to check for your relevant county.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only wear what would be considered spikeless (dimple soles) when it is bone dry and wear soft cleats when it is wet.

The only real rule we have at the clubhouse is that you should not wear golf shoes in the lounge and that equally applies to spikeless.

As I have a locker I always change regardless.

Re the second query I always thought it was half the standard visitor rate.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
Cheers all.
I probably might get a spikeless pair then (spent 20 mins getting caked in grass out of my current spiked shoe this evening). The course I've joined has moderate inclines with only 2 holes that are sort of steep. I'll also keep my trusty reliable 15 yr old spiked Footjoy pair I'm currently using as a standby. For some reason, I'm attracted to last year's Adidas Codechaos model for its looks. Reviews seem to say they're comfortable as well.

Sounds like county card rates might be a state secret, so I'll ring some courses I'm interested in. Guest member rates or 1/2 visitor rates would be great value if true.