Shaft?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can anyone help with a simple (hopefully) question. I'm looking for a Diamana Blueboard regular for a Titleist driver for a friend. Is there any other place to get one at a reasonable price apart from the bay?

Thank you in advance.

D

Deleted member 16999

Try Andrew Blunt, Pro at Seaham GC he also has a facebook page, Bargain Golf Equipment.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you. Any other shafts worth considering (similar to the Blueboard profile)?

matrix red or white tie are similar and more readily available. aldilia dvs is a cheaper but quality shaft too
fujikura pro series

dont get too caught up in the profile of the shaft. i had a whiteboard in my driver and intensity tested them against a blue, red and ahina shafts. hardly any difference across all shafts

Last edited:

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
matrix red or white tie are similar and more readily available. aldilia dvs is a cheaper but quality shaft too
fujikura pro series

dont get too caught up in the profile of the shaft. i had a whiteboard in my driver and intensity tested them against a blue, red and ahina shafts. hardly any difference across all shafts
Thank you very much for advice.

Just curious, when you tested were the shafts same/similar weight/flex? In my limited experience, I can "feel" a lot of difference in weight and it seems that lower torque helps the dispersion.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you very much for advice.

Just curious, when you tested were the shafts same/similar weight/flex? In my limited experience, I can "feel" a lot of difference in weight and it seems that lower torque helps the dispersion.

all shafts where stiff and 70/75 gram. all felt identical. the ahina probably felt the best but that might have been because it had a ion coating and looked soooooo shiny and nice that my brain was telling me that i needed it in my life

recently tried the diamana ka'li ( spelt wrong i know) also impressive and good numbers

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
all shafts where stiff and 70/75 gram. all felt identical. the ahina probably felt the best but that might have been because it had a ion coating and looked soooooo shiny and nice that my brain was telling me that i needed it in my life

recently tried the diamana ka'li ( spelt wrong i know) also impressive and good numbers
Interesting, looks like the weight&flex dominate the feel/numbers and the actual "profile" is diminishing returns.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting, looks like the weight&flex dominate the feel/numbers and the actual "profile" is diminishing returns.

I've sat in a countless amounts of blind shaft testing with the pga students and shaft weight almost always come out as the bigger game changer

Qbduncan

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest, is there any way to compare different shafts? I've been fitted for a 3 wood and driver shaft that are really expensive, anyway I can work out a more affordable option or do shafts not really work like that?

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest, is there any way to compare different shafts? I've been fitted for a 3 wood and driver shaft that are really expensive, anyway I can work out a more affordable option or do shafts not really work like that?

Why didn't you ask the fitter for a cheaper option? He could either have told you which shaft might play similar to the one you got fitted into, or repeat the fitting process with the shaft selection limited to the cheaper models to find out the one that works best for you.

Simply looking for a cheaper shaft with similar specs (on paper..) may work or not. If it doesn't, you may end up spending even more since you have to get another shaft.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've sat in a countless amounts of blind shaft testing with the pga students and shaft weight almost always come out as the bigger game changer
Great datapoint, thank you for sharing.

Does anything else stand out throughout all these test sessions?

E.g. while it's given that it's all individual but maybe all things equal it's a lesser problem to have a lighter shaft than your ideal or the opposite - the heavier - is true? Anything like this?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great datapoint, thank you for sharing.

Does anything else stand out throughout all these test sessions?

E.g. while it's given that it's all individual but maybe all things equal it's a lesser problem to have a lighter shaft than your ideal or the opposite - the heavier - is true? Anything like this?

a person with a slower swing speed and lighter shaft suffers a swing speed reduction but dispersion stays almost the same. however, when a light shaft was given to the guys with substantial swing speeds the dispersion went to pot.

another interesting point was when they told the students they had a x stiff shaft in their hand when it was in fact regular, their swing speeds still increased. obviously because they thought they had to give it the beans

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
fujikura pro series

Both Matrix shafts seem slightly boardier than the Blueboard to me. The reasonably priced Matrix that has more feel (softness but stability in the lower section) is the RUL, but that has even more than the Blueboard!

If you want a reasonably priced shaft that will suit 95% of players - and has a reasonable amount of feel - then the Graphite Design YS series (and derivatives) is hard to beat. The Aldila NV has always seemed 'adequate but dull' to me, though I know some that love it!

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Both Matrix shafts seem slightly boardier than the Blueboard to me. The reasonably priced Matrix that has more feel (softness but stability in the lower section) is the RUL, but that has even more than the Blueboard!

If you want a reasonably priced shaft that will suit 95% of players - and has a reasonable amount of feel - then the Graphite Design YS series (and derivatives) is hard to beat. The Aldila NV has always seemed 'adequate but dull' to me, though I know some that love it!
Thank you very much, appreciate the advice!