Shaft question - TT DG R & S300

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gentlemen (..... And Ladies)

When I brought my MP32's I brought them in 5-PW. These came fitted with TT-DG R300.

I wanted to get the 4 iron to the set and managed to aquire one through eBay, but came fitted with TT-DG S300.

Currently hitting my 4 iron lovely and getting a fantastic, controlled flight. We have a par 4 a shade under 400 yards (Fractioanlly down hill). Played 4 iron off the tee, 4 iron off the fairway and was greenside in 2 (second pitched on the green and ran to the fringe)

The thing is, I also get a pretty much the same flight from the R300 through the rest of the set.

How can this be with one being regular and the other stiff from the same manufacturer?

....... And a further question.

Seeing as I get pretty similar flight from each shaft would one have benefit over the other?

I was always inder the impression you should play the softest flex your swing should handle? If so what do I do, stick with R300 or pull the R's and install S300?

Any advice and opinions welcome :thup:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gentlemen (..... And Ladies)

When I brought my MP32's I brought them in 5-PW. These came fitted with TT-DG R300.

I wanted to get the 4 iron to the set and managed to aquire one through eBay, but came fitted with TT-DG S300.

Currently hitting my 4 iron lovely and getting a fantastic, controlled flight. We have a par 4 a shade under 400 yards (Fractioanlly down hill). Played 4 iron off the tee, 4 iron off the fairway and was greenside in 2 (second pitched on the green and ran to the fringe)

The thing is, I also get a pretty much the same flight from the R300 through the rest of the set.

How can this be with one being regular and the other stiff from the same manufacturer?

....... And a further question.

Seeing as I get pretty similar flight from each shaft would one have benefit over the other?

I was always inder the impression you should play the softest flex your swing should handle? If so what do I do, stick with R300 or pull the R's and install S300?

Any advice and opinions welcome :thup:

Some players can play either R or S shafts so long as they have a decent swing speed and good tempo. That doesn't mean there is no difference, just that your personal comfort zone is wide.

Advice to play the softest shaft you can control is reasonable providing you know what level of control you have with each (including in wind Andy conditions and when your game is a bit off).

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some players can play either R or S shafts so long as they have a decent swing speed and good tempo. That doesn't mean there is no difference, just that your personal comfort zone is wide.

Advice to play the softest shaft you can control is reasonable providing you know what level of control you have with each (including in wind Andy conditions and when your game is a bit off).

Cheers Ethan.

Best to stick with what I have then?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guess its as said you have a wide comfort zone. I have Dynamic Gold XP S300 in my irons. But all my woods have Reg shafts. I do have a smooth tempo. Never thought I had a high club head speed (never had it measured). Guess its higher than I thought, When you swing smooth its hard to tell. I have been told by Pro's I have a good hand release. Maybe the speed comes from that?
Could be you are something simular?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Guess its as said you have a wide comfort zone. I have Dynamic Gold XP S300 in my irons. But all my woods have Reg shafts. I do have a smooth tempo. Never thought I had a high club head speed (never had it measured). Guess its higher than I thought, When you swing smooth its hard to tell. I have been told by Pro's I have a good hand release. Maybe the speed comes from that?
Could be you are something simular?

Probably as far as tempo and swing speed Dave but the release will be different for sure.

I hold off my release and don't begin to until my hands are past parralell on the through swing.

Most of my iron shots at impact look as if I'm hitting a punch shot. I'll try and find a picture :mad:

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It depends how you use each of your clubs.The S300 probably works well on your long iron because you are generating more clubhead speed. Thats not to say it would work as well on your shorter irons. I use a mixture of shafts depending on what club im using, some clubs i go at the ball harder with like driver/hybrid which are stiff. Then i use DG R300 on my irons and Gap and S300 on my Lob which i play quite aggressive.

Get your swing analyzed for the best shafts for your swing. You cant beat custom fitting.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It depends how you use each of your clubs.The S300 probably works well on your long iron because you are generating more clubhead speed. Thats not to say it would work as well on your shorter irons. I use a mixture of shafts depending on what club im using, some clubs i go at the ball harder with like driver/hybrid which are stiff. Then i use DG R300 on my irons and Gap and S300 on my Lob which i play quite aggressive.

Get your swing analyzed for the best shafts for your swing. You cant beat custom fitting.

See, I always thought "most" wedges came with stiff or "wedge" flex shafts?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Too late to edit previous post but......

Here's an example Dave.

STWedge180412001781.jpg

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
that is about right. PX 5.5 is slightly firmer than TT DG S300 but ear enough to be broadly similar. They feel a bit different though.

Yes. I remember you saying that the PX shafts feel a little "boardy"

I take it they feel pretty dead to some people?