Shaft question - Swing speed - Dispersion

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gentlemen, and ladies, I have a question regarding the above.

I should also add this is the reason I'm thinking of tinkering with a stiff shaft in my 910 D2

I have a friend at out club, who plays off 28.

He has, as you would expect, always struggled with the longer clubs. He has recently purchased a driver from my playing partner (....Same handicap as myself). The club in question is a Ping G5 driver, with an Aldila NV (Green) stiff shaft.

Since he's had the club, his dispersion with his driving has improved dramatically. He doesn't hit the ball any further, or lower. He hasn't lost any distance, but hasn't gained any either. The only thing that has changed is his dispersion, which is much, much tighter. He has also made zero swing changes.

What's confusing me is I know his swing speed is slower than mine, which isn't exactly brisk, so how can he be effectively loading the shaft? Or isn't he?

Can someone help me out with this?

Muchos Kudos in advance :thup:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Might also be the torque in the stiff is ...erm... stiffer so less twisting of the clubhead offline hence more consistent shots. Stiffer and torque-IER:smirk: usually means a heavier shaft but if he's young and fit enough this might explain the ease of transition.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Shaft probably just suits his particular swing rather better than the the previous one.

That's the sort of thing you find out in a fitting.

There may well also have been a subtle unconscious change in his swing.

If it works, don't knock it, not try to delve too much!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's confusing me is I know his swing speed is slower than mine, which isn't exactly brisk, so how can he be effectively loading the shaft? Or isn't he?

without an appropriate bench mark you can't tell

I would expect any player to have a lower dispersion with a stiffer, heavier shaft (up to a point just before they can't hit it properly at all!)

You are only going to hit is further with a more flexible shaft if you time it correctly in the first place (which is the missing benchmark)

Clubhead speed is deceptive - many great golfers don't look like they have any speed in their swing at all; this can apply to handicap golfers as well ( but agree it's rare and usually obvious :))

I use iron shafts that are far too stiff for me distance wise; but my dispersion is tiny - I like it that way.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In future, please include all relevant parts of my posts

The other 3 statements were relevant!

:angry:

Whoa there Tiger :eek:

the other 3 parts werent relevant IMO i.e he didnt get a fitting, didnt change his swing and the last part is "if it works dont knock it"

:rolleyes:

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Swingspeed isn't the only thing that influences the flex - the more agressive the transition, the later the release, etc. have a huge impact on shaft fitting, shaft flex and shaft profile. For example, if your friend has a particularly late release, he would typically need a stiffer shaft... and shafts that are not stiff enough could certainly have a material and detrimental impact on dispersion.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Swingspeed isn't the only thing that influences the flex - the more agressive the transition, the later the release, etc. have a huge impact on shaft fitting, shaft flex and shaft profile. For example, if your friend has a particularly late release, he would typically need a stiffer shaft... and shafts that are not stiff enough could certainly have a material and detrimental impact on dispersion.

+1 ^^^

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is why the Mizuno Swing DNA device is pretty useful, although as a starting point rather than a definitive answer. It marries those various factors to give a shaft recommendation. Pity it is only available for irons, but might give some useful clues for woods too.

Personal preference is important. I have about 100 mph driver speed, but can have a quickish transition and can be snappier than a hungry alligator. I should suit PX 5.5, KBS R+, C-taper R. But when I demoed irons, I liked C-taper S better (and as you can see from my sig, got them) and also liked and flighted well KBS Tour X. I found that the stouter shafts were more consistent and tighter than the more flexible versions, but other may find them too boardy and harsh.

Last edited:
D

deanobillquay

Interestingly, I was custom fitted for project x 5.5 shafts for a iron swing speed of only 65mph. These were later found to be far too stiff for me and I went to a regular and lighter shaft on the advice of two other club builders. My driver swing speed is only around 88mph and the exact same thing happened, got extra distance and actually less dispersion...

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interestingly, I was custom fitted for project x 5.5 shafts for a iron swing speed of only 65mph. These were later found to be far too stiff for me and I went to a regular and lighter shaft on the advice of two other club builders. My driver swing speed is only around 88mph and the exact same thing happened, got extra distance and actually less dispersion...

I'm frankly amazed that anyone thought they could get away with that. I am 81mph with my 6 iron and PX 5.5 still played a little stiff (OK a little boardy mainly).Can't imagine it took you long to find that one out.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interestingly, I was custom fitted for project x 5.5 shafts for a iron swing speed of only 65mph. These were later found to be far too stiff for me

Yeah, no kidding. I would avoid that original fitter in future. PX 5.5 is similar in flex to True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (stiff) shafts, and no pro in their right mind would offer that to someone with your swing speed. PX was designed to be a hard feeling shaft for hard hitters. You might suit a lightweight graphite shaft which would give you a bit more clubhead speed.

D

deanobillquay

Try it with your accurate data and come back and tell us if they recommend PX 5.5!

Came back with GS95 R300.

I'm never going to hit very far as I damaged my back some years ago and struggle to do a full turn and only carry a 7iron around 127 To 130 yards.I can only dream about hitting forum distances!

To be honest, I'm just glad I finally have the correct shaft for my irons and wedges as I love those irons. Just concentrating on my game now, I'm shooting an average 8 shots better per round with the new shafts.