Shaft length

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I currently have a set of Ping G5 irons (5-PW). I am looking to purchase matching 3&4 irons. I have found both irons for sale on eBay. The seller, has had both shafts cut by 1/4" by his local pro. In theory, if I bought both clubs and had my local pro install shaft extenders, would that make the clubs 'original' in the sense of loft, lie, weight, distance etc or would it just be 'papering over the cracks'??

Cheers

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty expensive exercise for little gain imo - unless the grips can be saved.

If you really want the 3 and 4, I'd suggest you try them at current length first. Quite likely you won't notice the 1/4" difference.

If you do adjust them, extension will change the swing weight marginally. Probably best to adjust that at same time and get your existing ones checked. I'd bet they are quite varied.

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you for the response.

I only ask, as although I'm an amatuer, I thought I might see less distance with both irons because of the shaft length? I am currently using a Callaway X16 3 iron and getting over 200 from it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I only ask, as although I'm an amatuer, I thought I might see less distance with both irons because of the shaft length? I am currently using a Callaway X16 3 iron and getting over 200 from it.

As per Driver lengths, you could well hit the marginally shorter irons better than if at 'full' length.

Though, if you hit the Cally so well, why bother.

How far do you hit the 21* Rescue? I know a Pro who rarely uses a 3-wood, as his hybrid fulfils that role.

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
I would like a matching set in my bag!

They're also setup as red dot, I have black dot irons, I assume Ping would change the loft and lie for me?

Rescue is a little hit and miss, distance wise around 200 with 21*. Although I do struggle with FW and the rescue. I'm more consistent with long irons.