shaft efficiency.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So on Sunday I committed the cardinal sin and hit someone else's driver, now it's got me wondering if my shaft is to stiff for my swing. Current driver spec is 9.5 stiff fitted with motore f1 65g stiff, on Sunday I hit a stage 1 rbz in 10.5 reg and the thing went miles. It must have been almost thirty paces further on based on very likewise strikes.

My question is what sort of indications or tell take signs would you look for if a shaft was to strong and not loading fully to produce the most efficient results

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had the rbz stock shaft and couldn't feel the head through my swing. got a ust tour red in my mizzy and can feel the head, shaft is defo stiffer and gives me a bit more control.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had the rbz stock shaft and couldn't feel the head through my swing. got a ust tour red in my mizzy and can feel the head, shaft is defo stiffer and gives me a bit more control.

Control is pretty spot on the the f1, but it feels slightly shorter than the stock rip. I thought it was ballooning through poor shaft, the more I think the more I'm leaving towards a swing fault causing the ballooning

This is strange as the 3w is a monster

Last edited:

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would take control all day, BUT I got the red thinking it was low, there is a green version that is lower, bloody shafts lol. I stuck the fairway version(red) in my 17 wood and it gives it a nice low to mid flight

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So on Sunday I committed the cardinal sin and hit someone else's driver, now it's got me wondering if my shaft is to stiff for my swing. Current driver spec is 9.5 stiff fitted with motore f1 65g stiff, on Sunday I hit a stage 1 rbz in 10.5 reg and the thing went miles. It must have been almost thirty paces further on based on very likewise strikes.

It is said that the best shaft you can have is the most flexible that you can control. If you rip a regular miles and can control it then it should be a consideration. I thought you'd been properly fitted?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is said that the best shaft you can have is the most flexible that you can control. If you rip a regular miles and can control it then it should be a consideration. I thought you'd been properly fitted?

I was fitted at the time for the amp with the stock rip, the amp suited me most on the day but at the time no upgrade shafts were available and also I was swinging with some restrictions as I had some back issues.

Late last year I found I was ballooning a lot of drives so tried a few different shafts which helped. But I can't help but think that why I can control the f1 well, it doesn't seem to feel like it delivering the same quality strike that I got from the stock rip or some of the softer shafts that I have hit

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a Titleist D2 a regular shaft which I changed,after a Titleist session on Trackman, to a Project X 5.5 as it was shown that i would get less spin, and so hit longer and straightr (which i did).I then had a go of a Ping G15 with a stiff Serano shaft 9 degree and hit it longer, straighter and much much easier with a really easy smooth swing - so my feeling is Baz - you have to physically try it to know how it will be in your hands.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's absolutely individual, and for many doesn't matter a damn in terms of efficiency, so ignore what others say about what shaft works for them.

One thing that you should bear in mind when having a swing of a different club is that you tend to put a much more rhytminc (smoother) swing on it - so it very often goes much better than your 100% seemingly big, but inefficient, swing with your own.

Try a few 110% swings with the interloper and see what happens. In my case, it's very high and right! Go for the shaft that feels best, as feel is the most imporant attribute imo.

Tried an R1 at 8.5 with stock Phenom S a few times yesterday. Super forgiving feel but not as long as current set-up so no need to invest. Sounds ever so slightly plastic too but shaft felt fine.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My question is what sort of indications or tell take signs would you look for if a shaft was to strong and not loading fully to produce the most efficient results

Forgot to answer that question, though Duncan seems to have done a pretty good job of doing so...:D

If a shaft is too stiff, it will probably feel 'boardy' when striking the ball. Flight will probably be lower than expected and there will be a tendency for the ball to go right more than with a 'fitting' one. Distance will almost certainly suffer as well.

The fact that seem to have a distance issue, compared to your mate's set-up, does not, on its own, indicate that your current set-up is too stiff. Though it doesn't preclude it either.

If you have access to the LM at your club, try both and compare the figures. It may be that your mate's set-up is superior for you, though I'm more inclined to believe it's the 'easy swing with a different club' 'problem' that is the cause.

BTW. I have experience the 'shaft too stiff' issue after recovering from a broken ankle. Flight seemed the same but shaft felt boardy and distance loss was significant. Went to a Regular - in Cleveland SL290 and problem solved - until the high rights indicated that the speed had returned but without control. Current setup seems pretty good for me now - favourite shaft is back to being the best again.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
being outdriven by seniors............ :)

This isnt an issue, your a bionic pensioner :swing:

On a serious note, foxholer.... I wouldn't say it feels boardy, in fact compared with a pro launch red stiff it gives quite a lot of feed back and is very stable.

What I notice is when fitted with the rip 55g stiff the strike of the amp was unique, if felt solid with almost an explosion off the face that went miles, only downside was it ballooned like mad which was probably down to me hitting with a slightly descending blow. With the f1 the spin is down and I get a bit more run out, but that feeling of a munched explosive strike seems to have gone.

What's funny is when I hit a g25/stiff tfc a few weeks back, and now the rbz in a regular that strike was there. It could be that the less spiny shaft is giving a different type of feedback, but the seed is planted.... It's not helped by some old goat munching a very smooth and rhythmic swing past me on a monthly basis.......

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This isnt an issue, your a bionic pensioner :swing:

On a serious note, foxholer.... I wouldn't say it feels boardy, in fact compared with a pro launch red stiff it gives quite a lot of feed back and is very stable.

What I notice is when fitted with the rip 55g stiff the strike of the amp was unique, if felt solid with almost an explosion off the face that went miles, only downside was it ballooned like mad which was probably down to me hitting with a slightly descending blow. With the f1 the spin is down and I get a bit more run out, but that feeling of a munched explosive strike seems to have gone.

What's funny is when I hit a g25/stiff tfc a few weeks back, and now the rbz in a regular that strike was there. It could be that the less spiny shaft is giving a different type of feedback, but the seed is planted.... It's not helped by some old goat munching a very smooth and rhythmic swing past me on a monthly basis.......

fwiw I don't think this is a shaft issue; played with you in a few different conditions, and with you seeming to take a slightly different approach at times. You have great tempo, and a smooth transition (most of the time) - in this mode you will have no problems with a softer shaft. If you go after it it will bite; probably a medium height hook for you. The stiffer shaft will protect that shot weakness.

then there's the specifics of trying someone else's club like that - chances are you will have put a great easy swing on it, and that club is very light and will have given you extra clubhead speed as a reward.

you need to try an RBZII or R1 with a TP S shaft to complete the picture :) :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
fwiw I don't think this is a shaft issue; played with you in a few different conditions, and with you seeming to take a slightly different approach at times. You have great tempo, and a smooth transition (most of the time) - in this mode you will have no problems with a softer shaft. If you go after it it will bite; probably a medium height hook for you. The stiffer shaft will protect that shot weakness.

then there's the specifics of trying someone else's club like that - chances are you will have put a great easy swing on it, and that club is very light and will have given you extra clubhead speed as a reward.

you need to try an RBZII or R1 with a TP S shaft to complete the picture :) :)

It's funny you say that, when I had the rip 55 I couldn't go after it...... At all. The f1 allows me to do this a touch more. But at Lingfield and Reigate hill my driving was way off its normal standard.

Going to try the px5.5 at the weekend just for something different