Setting up a wireless printer - Help please

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So HID came back with a wireless printer for me to install! An Epson Home XP-405WH. I started to set this up at the start of the Brighton V Newcastle cup game but require some help now - after 7 hours of trying.

When I run the set up disc there is an error message - ' An error occurred during set up. Restart your computer and run set up again.' So I try this and hey presto - I get the same message! Oh so helpful......:confused:

Could one of the IT guys please help (for the sake of my sanity)? I am using Windows 7 if it makes any odds.

Thanks in advance.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck with that one mate. I got an Epson sx430W and it never connected wirelessly. I had the same experience as you hours and hours trying to get it to work. Total rubbish in my opinion.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Try connecting to the network manually, before running the CD

On the printer click Home, menu, setup.network settings, wireless lan setup, setup wizard.

it should scan and pick up your wifi , just enter the wifi code.

If it still wont install. download the latest software from the epson website and try that

Otherwise shout back

Fragger

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that video shows setting the printer up with the PC after the printer was discovered on the network - might be wrong though. It sounds like the OP hasnt got that far.

After googling I found out that the printer you have supports WPS which is potentially good news. WPS stands for WiFi Protected Setup which is designed to make life a lot easier for non-techies when setting up wireless. If your router is fairly recent then theres a very good chance that it has a WPS button on it. If so all you need to do is go in to the printer menu and enable WPS (read the manual if you dont how). Then go and press the WPS on the router. The router will send the SSID and encryption to your printer basically setting your printer up for you.

If your router does not support WPS do as already been suggested and set up your printer manually using the controls on the printer. Some will say that you need to first configure your printer for a USB wired connection first (and this may be true in some cases) but I have never had to do this.

I just cfg the printer network settings then go the pc and add the printer (like in the video above).

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
hi sorry to hijack thread mattyboy but i've got much the same problem . i have an existing virgin netgear wireless broadband set up which works fine on pc vista home basic.. ? doh must i have a separate wireless router for my newly accuired hp wireless photo printer/ scanner /coppier . i do have the new wireless router to suit which is a talk talk make. you say rooter i said router. do i need the 2 or is there a way one router can do both functions.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
hi sorry to hijack thread mattyboy but i've got much the same problem . i have an existing virgin netgear wireless broadband set up which works fine on pc vista home basic.. ? doh must i have a separate wireless router for my newly accuired hp wireless photo printer/ scanner /coppier . i do have the new wireless router to suit which is a talk talk make. you say rooter i said router. do i need the 2 or is there a way one router can do both functions.

1 router will usually take care of both. Its not clear from your post why you have or think you need a second "talk talk" router. Are you moving provider and this is the new router they have given you? Or is it an upgrade? ie 802.11n support?

You said both routers are wireless enabled so it shouldnt matter a jot to the printer (or PC) which one you use. Router choice is normally dictated or supplied by your ISP or service provider.

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To set lineup on vista I just went into network and the printer is the as its connected to the router. That may be the problem...not having it connected to the router. You have to go into the printers settings and connect it to your wifi, as is the case with all wifi devices, laptops, phones, tablets

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Back on thread... can you place the printer next to the router? If so, you wouldn't have to bother with the wireless and just hardwire it in with a patch cable.

Of course if you can't you're best off doing some jiggery pokery that involves setting the printer up as static address and changing the settings on your router so it doesn't dish this 'static' address out to another device. If you don't you'll find you get conflicts now and again on your network.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
thanks lads with your help i've managed to get it going. i had to enter the wireless net password which i had . once again thank you guys for helping an oap thats not too bright with new fangled stuff , and again ta much