Setanta,are we watching/who paid for it?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just got struck with the realisation that my Sunday evening viewing has changed.

We had Setanta free at the beginning as a taster fron NTL then lost it after a couple of months,then got it back with our new package.

I have got out of the habit of watching the US golf on a Sunday and actually I dont miss it,I will often watch bits of Golf Night though.

When I did watch it,I didnt feel the coverage was a patch on Sky and looked like it was done on two bob.

How many of us actually subscribe and do you think it is value for money?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I subscribe but it's a bit of a joke for the golf.

At the first sign of bad weather I don't get any coverage, inspite of the other Sky channels working properly. Even had an engineer out to re-align my satellite dish and put in an amplifier.

Anyway, I'm going to cancel my subscription at the first opportunity. You can't beat the Sky coverage and it's worth watching Golf Night for Di Stewart alone.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I subscribe, the golf is OK, the picture quality is awful and the amount of repeats and adverts is really annoying at times. But on top of this I get the other Setanta channels so I can watch a few extra rugby games. Overall for £10 a month it aint bad.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
For 9.99 a month i easily get my moneys worth.

I love watching PGA tour at the weekends in my jogging suit with some goodies haha, the boxing on there is another big reason I got it, plus all the footy theyre gonna be offering from next season, its the best value thing out there for me.

AND THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Its just the Golf channel except you pay a tenner to watch what was free, they only buy the same golf and programs as the golf channel did and in the end it will go the same way.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
i love Dominic Holyer tho - he's my favourite presenter of all times. Him and The Raff are perfect golf presenters, Coltart is cool too in a Sean Connery sort of way. I love that face Holyer does when he says 'Its back to our coverage with CBS' - he just looks like the nicest guy in the world man, really chilled out. I miss Skysports tho when i used to watch that and Butch Harmon was on - that little American grin he does to the camera every time he's finished talking - even my Mum found that funny.

B

birdieman

I've got Setanata, didn't realise it wasn't just me who received a ropey picture in poor weather.
Too many ads on the golf but that's the US for you. I did watch the conclusion of the Wachovia on Sunday but now I'm up and about again I don't think I'll be watching too much tv, not before the nights start drawing in again anyway.
I don't think it's worth a tenner a month on top of sky sports.
I expect the US open will be on Setanta so I'll need it for that.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
JF interesting to hear about your picture problems,I have in the last month started to lose mine also despite all others being fine,it only takes rain in fact the other sunday night it was a dark and dank night with light although persistant misely rain and I had no picture all night despite my mate 80 yards away having a grand picture!
I aint done anything about it yet but feared they would blame my dish and this in turn would cost me a call out fee,have you any advice/ideas as I really do not wish this to happen again come Sunday night going into the back 9!!
For what it is worth £9.99 for me is great value as I also watch the football on both sides of the border and rugby and I see they have now go International football too.

US Open is on Sky for at least next 3 years.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry Dodger,

Can't give you any advice on solving the ropey picture. I tried everything the professional way. One of my pals is even an aeriel rigger and he couldn't help. He suspects fishy goings on by Sky, who host the signal.

I suspect it's where they're bouncing the satellite signal from. Setanta Golf is the only dodgy channel out of 400 odd. Am I just being paranoid or will Sky get the USPGA rights back in a few years due to dirty tricks?

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't have a Sky subscription but i do have a BT vision box which is basically a freeview/dvd recorder and i do have the Setanta sports £9:99 deal . Its not the best package really but at least it shows more golf and live sports than terrestrial TV !!!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think the poll would be about 50/50 now tho.

I have to say I would probably have paid a years subscription for "Shells Wonderful World of Golf". It is fantastic stuff.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I gotit because for £10 I get the football and the golf so I can't knock the value. I don't mind the golf coverage too much as they are reliant on US broadcasters and I like the policy of going to the studio every other add break. I actually think Sarah Stirk is ok (bit plump around the hind quarters) and at least tries to inject some humour and personality while Dominik Hollyer makes LIneker look positively sparkling in the personality stakes. Scott Cranfield as a presenter is just plain wrong.

I think once they work out that there presenting needs work (Sky's Golf Night was a bit ropey in the early days) they will be alright. As it is the only place to see my super dream teamers on a regular basis I'm prepared to put up with some dodgy links from the studio

McCojac

Medal Winner
Visit site
Personally for me it's far better value than opting for the Sky Sports Packages I get to watch golf at night whereas the European Tour on Sky maybe as exciting as the US but it's more often on when I can be out playing golf. Also I get the Scottish Football and fortunately have been able to watch Motherwell claim their rightful place as 3rd team in Scotland this season.

golfer1

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've got cable (Virgin formally Telewest) and when we lost some SKY chanels (News, 1, 2 etc), after a couple of months I starting getting Setanta, with no increase in subsciption. I was told at the time that it was because i had the full package. Since then i've got rid of the movie chanels and got them to reduce the subs, but i'm still getting Setanta.

Currently watching Shells Wonderful World of Golf

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not having Sky, there's no alternative if I want golf, not that the nationwide tour is a thrill. Ideally I'd like a mix of European and US PGA but where to get it without forking out a fortune?

Don't have a signal problem due to weather, crappy cable problems at times though.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get Setanta through Virgin Media and there is no problem with the picture at all. Plus as golfer 1 said I was given the channels free when I lost 'skyone' and a few others (not sky sports 1) and therfore think it is great value for money. I'm not neccesarily a fan of all these sports but you get exclusive coverage of the IPL cricket, horse racing, football (premiership, blue square premier, and quite a few foreign leagues), rugby, boxing, and golf and therfore even if I had to pay for it I would.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only pay 7.99 a month for my setanta and its through broadband, so i can log on anywhere (yes even work) and watch the golf whenever i want.

I got it for the football really but the golf is an extra ( not really into the us tour would prefere to watch European but cant knock it for the price of a golf magazine and a couple of pints!