Set up. Shoulder width?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm looking at set up at present and wondered what it means when it says feet shoulder width apart. Now my shoulders at 19 inches wide. So does it mean the gap between my feet is 19 inches or from outside to outside or middle to middle?
Thanks.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My pro has me set up with the in-step of my foot level with my arm pit.

A simple check he showed me is to put the club head against your instep and with the shaft pointing straight up. It should point into your arm pit.

Hope this helps a little.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks mate. I have a decent set up and hit the ball well. But feel like I've lost a little balance and consistency so going back to basics til playing well again :)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks mate. I have a decent set up and hit the ball well. But feel like I've lost a little balance and consistency so going back to basics til playing well again :)

Something similar my pro picked up on in my first lesson (Narrow stance)

I never felt 'out of balance' so to speak, but now I feel much more stable.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
My pro has me set up with the in-step of my foot level with my arm pit.

A simple check he showed me is to put the club head against your instep and with the shaft pointing straight up. It should point into your arm pit.

Hope this helps a little.

Blimey ... I can just about get my instep up to waist level...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So does it mean the gap between my feet is 19 inches or from outside to outside or middle to middle?
Thanks.

I was looking for something else a couple of days ago and found a piece on the set up. It suggested that the shoulder width rule should be inside to inside for driver, varying to outside to outside for mid irons. Adjust as necessary in-between and beyond.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How do you stand naturally in balance? that's the stance for you.

Put both feet together- hard to turn, hard to keep balance
Put both feet really wide- hard to turn, too much balance ie solid

the shoulder guide is just that, a rough guide that keeps you in an athletic position without restricting the coil/uncoil.

Don't get hung up on minute technicalities of 19" apart, stand comfortably for you while retaining the feeling you can move in any direction while keeping balanced.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks r3 that was what I was thinking some sort of change as my setup would vary between clubs.
DV it's not that I'm getting hung up, I'm just trying to get back to a solid base and have an inconsistent set up. Thanks for the input.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I cant remember where I heard it, but take a normal size step (i.e walking along) stop as soon as your lead foot hits the floor. Spin on the balls of your feet so you are at right angles to the direction you were facing. That should be about perfect for your stance, and funnily it is not far off shoulder width apart.

I tried it and have found a more stable base, what the worst that can happen....play like me.....lol

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I use the ben Hogan method. Ball 3 to 4 inches from inside of left heel and adjust right foot width for different club lengths.

Click to enlarge.

View attachment 5840

Have I misinterpreted that diagram, it seems that it is a varied stance, from closed with the driver to open with the wedges and the only clubs are the mid irons which are set up square.

I set up parallel to my target line with every club (at least try to). Maybe this is where I go wrong lol