Senior shafts

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
A quick question if I may (I sort of know the answer and that's to go and get fitted which I might do on Monday as I am off work but I thought I would ask the question anyway).

I am a high handicapper (23) and struggle for distance and consistency. I hit my 7 iron on average 130 yards with a slight push to the right. I have always used regular shafts in my clubs. Quite a few people at my club have said I have a smooth and slow swing as I always get a mahoosive slice when trying to really hit the ball hard. I was wondering to increase distance/accuracy/consistency would I be better going for senior shafts. I have indeed tried a senior shafted driver for a few months now and have never hit the ball such a distance and straight too with maybe a slight draw.

The question is, would a softer shaft work for woods, hybrids and irons too???

I throw it open to the floor.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The old rule of thumb is hit the softest shaft you can control.

Not absolutely applicable - I know a Senior who plays stiff shafts, because he hits R-flex ones nowhere, and a Pro who uses Regular because he hooks with anything stiffer - but certainly worth checking out a demo club.

Recently saw a guy using his wife's half set of (R-flex G20) irons carry easy PW 135 (twice) where normal full PW is 125.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm 60 and working purely on swing rhythm and not speed. I much prefer stiffish shafts and have Project x 5.5 shafts in one set of clubs and 6.0 in another. I am sure this doesn't adversly affect distance but does help accuracy.