Senior distances!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Those who allegedly hit the ball 'forum distances' can have a good laugh, but these are the distances I achieve as a 69 year old senior golfer in average conditions:
Driver 200-210 yards
3-wood 185-195 yards
3-hybrid 180 yards
5-hybrid 165 yards
5-iron 155 yards
6-iron 145 yards
7-iron 135 yards
8-iron 125 yards
9-iron 110 yards
PW 100 yards
GW up to 80 yards
SW up to 65 yards

And I am far from being the shortest hitting senior at our club! Back in my 40's and 50's, I could hit the ball much further and actually won several longest drive prizes! Any long par-4 is now a driver and a 3-wood or hybrid, followed by a pitch shot into the green with a short iron or a wedge. Makes scoring rather more difficult than it used to be! Any tips for getting more distance in old age? :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Those who allegedly hit the ball 'forum distances' can have a good laugh, but these are the distances I achieve as a 69 year old senior golfer in average conditions:
Driver 200-210 yards
3-wood 185-195 yards
3-hybrid 180 yards
5-hybrid 165 yards
5-iron 155 yards
6-iron 145 yards
7-iron 135 yards
8-iron 125 yards
9-iron 110 yards
PW 100 yards
GW up to 80 yards
SW up to 65 yards

And I am far from being the shortest hitting senior at our club! Back in my 40's and 50's, I could hit the ball much further and actually won several longest drive prizes! Any long par-4 is now a driver and a 3-wood or hybrid, followed by a pitch shot into the green with a short iron or a wedge. Makes scoring rather more difficult than it used to be! Any tips for getting more distance in old age? :)

I would not worry about distance, i play occasionally with a couple of guys who are late 60's -70's and both play off 2. Neither hit the ball that far and these days they have more head covers in the bag that irons, but both have wicked short games. in fact of one them has his handicap at a course thats 6800 yards.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driver 200-210 yards
3-wood 185-195 yards
3-hybrid 180 yards
5-hybrid 165 yards
5-iron 155 yards
6-iron 145 yards
7-iron 135 yards
8-iron 125 yards
9-iron 110 yards
PW 100 yards
GW up to 80 yards
SW up to 65 yards

Del

You have a few years on me, so my driving and wood distances are marginally up on yours but the irons are very similar (and respectable). Do you use senior and/or graphite shafts.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would not worry about distance, i play occasionally with a couple of guys who are late 60's -70's and both play off 2. Neither hit the ball that far and these days they have more head covers in the bag that irons, but both have wicked short games. in fact of one them has his handicap at a course thats 6800 yards.
Unfortunately I don't have a wicked short game! Chipping is actually the weakest part of my game, so if I could improve that I might get down to single figures. Our club has a member who plays off 2 who is about the same age as me. However he is a former Portuguese amateur champion and really does have a Seve like short game. He nearly always seems to get down in 2 from about 90 yards in! Our course is 6400 yards off the white tees and 6800 off the blues btw.

Last edited:

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
as the old saying goes - "its's not how far, it's how many"........ Keep it on the short stuff and the occasional single put and that leads to a respectable game!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Del

You have a few years on me, so my driving and wood distances are marginally up on yours but the irons are very similar (and respectable). Do you use senior and/or graphite shafts.
Lightweight regular shafts. Graphite in my woods and hybrids, and steel in my irons and wedges. :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have a wicked short game! Chipping is actually the weakest part of my game, so if I could improve that I might get down to single figures. Our club has a member who plays off 2 who is about the same age as me. However he is a former Portuguese amateur champion and really does have a Seve like short game. He nearly always seems to get down in 2 from about 90 yards in! Our course is 6400 yards off the white tees and 6800 off the blues btw.

all the senior guys i play with have all been good players in there day, and with the loss of distance off the tee most have still got a good short game and all putt well.. maybe just improve your putting then;)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
all the senior guys i play with have all been good players in there day, and with the loss of distance off the tee most have still got a good short game and all putt well.. maybe just improve your putting then;)
My putting using the Claw Grip is actually pretty good. My chipping is so poor that I putt from well off the green if I can! :(

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Del

You have a few years on me, so my driving and wood distances are marginally up on yours but the irons are very similar (and respectable).

Same for me. I do give the driver a bit extra compared to my iron swings.

I'm happy to play long par 4's as 5's - it's what my h/cap is for and if I do get up in 2 or chip and putt for a par - bonus! I have added options at the top of my bag to suit my course (5w, 7w, 2h and 4h) which does help.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nothing wrong with those distances at 69 yrs young Delc.

I bet there's plenty in the seniors shorter than you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Short Game, short game, short game!

Like others, my Driver distance is more, but irons are fairly similar (5 yards more for me).

If my chipping/pitching is on, then I can make up for the distance with accuracy.

You should not be contemplating playing off the whites in normal play (other than Medals) though! Play off the Yellows and enjoy the feeling of 'extra' distance!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Driver 200-210 yards
3-wood 185-195 yards
3-hybrid 180 yards
5-hybrid 165 yards
5-iron 155 yards
6-iron 145 yards
7-iron 135 yards
8-iron 125 yards
9-iron 110 yards
PW 100 yards
GW up to 80 yards
SW up to 65 yards

I'm 63 and I have about 25/35 yards on you but it's getting harder. Short game is where I practice more and more although I was never a long hitter. Still playing off 5 and that's round Dunbar a former open championship final Q course. It's getting harder every season but I still bang in a few medal scores that would put some of the young bucks to the sword. I also shot my best ever three medal scores of 72 scratch around Royal Musselburgh last season. My backs giving me jip now......

Last edited:

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Delc
I have 7 years on you and I would love your length through out bag.
A chronic stiff back has done for me yardage wise.
Keep swinging for all your worth is my advice
I do manage a reasonable short game but it still hurts in the middle of the fairway on a shortish par 4 to know you could stand there all day and not get up in 2 shots, unless of course I had a -303 Lee Enfield.
Dewsweeper