Selling platforms

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am looking into selling a few clubs.
I usually go to eBay but they have changed their policy and want my bank details.. I prefer them to use PayPal so I am looking at other modes of selling clubs.
Has anyone used Facebook market place, gumtree or preloved and got advice?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Facebook marketplace is the one to use if you want to be driven mad.
"Is this still available?" keeps cropping up, you respond and never get a reply.
Stupid low ball offers are the order of the day.
I hate the place with a passion.
Not used the others so can't comment.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Facebook marketplace is the one to use if you want to be driven mad.
"Is this still available?" keeps cropping up, you respond and never get a reply.
Stupid low ball offers are the order of the day.
I hate the place with a passion.
Not used the others so can't comment.
TBH I have found them all the same, unless you're very good at marking items as sold. Everyone wants to be a wheeler dealer and get things as cheap as they can. If you're selling at the right time and right price you will sell, and of the list I have found FB Marketplace the most successful.

RichA

Visit site
I don't think eBay are any less reputable than the utilities companies, credit card companies, etc, who have DD access to your bank account.
I haven't had any probs with the new system, although I'm a light user. It's probably the platform that will get the best price for you.
I've sold a couple of clubs recently on eBay and got more for them than I was asking on here or my club's social WhatsApp group.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think eBay are any less reputable than the utilities companies, credit card companies, etc, who have DD access to your bank account.
I haven't had any probs with the new system, although I'm a light user. It's probably the platform that will get the best price for you.
I've sold a couple of clubs recently on eBay and got more for them than I was asking on here or my club's social WhatsApp group.
This was my thinking but I just didn’t understand why they couldn’t just keep PayPal as my bank account.. I am not a fan of giving details to anyone especially when they take and you have raise a claim to recover ( my view is they should pay you for the time to recover and that is at your discretion.. making it a process where they make sure all are agreed)

RichA

Visit site
This was my thinking but I just didn’t understand why they couldn’t just keep PayPal as my bank account.. I am not a fan of giving details to anyone especially when they take and you have raise a claim to recover ( my view is they should pay you for the time to recover and that is at your discretion.. making it a process where they make sure all are agreed)
My understanding is that when PayPal ceased to be part of eBay, their commission became something that eBay could claim for itself by streamlining the payment mechanism. The net result is a negligible change to users like you and me and a tiny percentage gain for eBay which becomes significant only when multiplied by the hundreds of millions of transactions that they manage.
I actually think that it's simplified my limited dealings. If I sell something, I end up with the same return, but it's in my bank account rather than a PayPal balance that I have to remember to spend.
If you're unlucky enough to get caught up in a sale with a fraudster or a chancer you'll get a little pain whether it was done through eBay, Gumtree, Facebook or just some dick at your golf club.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So if you now sell something on eBay, you have to give bank details. ?

Lovely, I have just put a bag for sale on there so now have to register my bank details or I won’t get paid. ☹️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So if you now sell something on eBay, you have to give bank details. ?

Lovely, I have just put a bag for sale on there so now have to register my bank details or I won’t get paid. ☹️
The upside is the money gets paid straight into your account, no having to transfer from Paypal. It is yours straight away, not after a faff. You set it up once, never have to do it again.

The one thing I did notice, if you have not sold for a while, is that the amount they take off you seems larger than before. Annoying but the price to pay for the service I guess.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The upside is the money gets paid straight into your account, no having to transfer from Paypal. It is yours straight away, not after a faff. You set it up once, never have to do it again.

The one thing I did notice, if you have not sold for a while, is that the amount they take off you seems larger than before. Annoying but the price to pay for the service I guess.

I have just had a check, I remember when I listed the bag it said add bank account which I thought odd as it has the details for when I buy things. Watch this space. ? and cheers me man.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I want reasonably good prices without too much hassle I use ebay.

On FB market place I know I have to set the prices higher to allow for haggling.

Reasonable success on the FB, very high success rate on ebay and some success using the for sale section on this site.

If you do not give ebay your bank details how on earth are you going to receive your money?

As learnt on this site ebay no longer own PayPal hence why you can no longer them use for both transactions but you still end up paying the same fees as ebay have increased the commission rates.

RichA

Visit site
This is it, for me.
Before selling some clubs recently, I watched similar ones on eBay to see the market price then offered them for sale on here and at my club using those prices minus fees, P&P and another £10 as a mates rate. The only interest was people making chancer offers. They sold on eBay for more than I was expecting.
I can only assume that people are more willing to pay a little extra on eBay because they feel they get that extra buyer protection.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just had a check, I remember when I listed the bag it said add bank account which I thought odd as it has the details for when I buy things. Watch this space. ? and cheers me man.
It isn't sinister, just a change in how they pay out. They have missed out the middle man, paypal, and are going straight to the customer. The only slightly annoying thing is I could sneakily buy and sell without my good lady noticing as the money would stay within paypal, assuming the item I was selling was a similar value. That was very handy for golf gear. Now she sees everything :oops:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is it, for me.
Before selling some clubs recently, I watched similar ones on eBay to see the market price then offered them for sale on here and at my club using those prices minus fees, P&P and another £10 as a mates rate. The only interest was people making chancer offers. They sold on eBay for more than I was expecting.
I can only assume that people are more willing to pay a little extra on eBay because they feel they get that extra buyer protection.
That and people get giddy at an auction :D

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Having used Ebay a lot, Gumtree a little, and now Facebook marketplace, I can only say Facebook blows the originals out of the water. Also make sure you list on local buy/sell facebook pages as you're more likely to get a hit.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
If I want reasonably good prices without too much hassle I use ebay.

On FB market place I know I have to set the prices higher to allow for haggling.

Reasonable success on the FB, very high success rate on ebay and some success using the for sale section on this site.

If you do not give ebay your bank details how on earth are you going to receive your money?

As learnt on this site ebay no longer own PayPal hence why you can no longer them use for both transactions but you still end up paying the same fees as ebay have increased the commission rates.
I've sold half a dozen things on FB this year, two of them at full price including a used golf bag. Don't haggle if your price is firm. The other items were things I inherited when moving into a new place and wanted rid without the hassle of taking to the dump, got less than I listed, but more than I expected, so there's that.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It's great to be able to test drive discounted clubs from SG and sell them used a few months later at a negligible loss.
I've watched some used iron sets go for more than they cost new recently, due to the crazy lead times.
Saw a set of new ping irons on a website today, RRP 749, usual score-through, now £799 o_O

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve recently sold some bits and bobs on eBay - first time in a while so the change in procedure did catch me unawares. It was a minor irritant waiting a few days for the micro deposits to arrive in my bank account to verify my details, but once done it’s all very painless.

I wouldn’t shy away from eBay simply because of this tweak to how they pay out.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It isn't sinister, just a change in how they pay out. They have missed out the middle man, paypal, and are going straight to the customer. The only slightly annoying thing is I could sneakily buy and sell without my good lady noticing as the money would stay within paypal, assuming the item I was selling was a similar value. That was very handy for golf gear. Now she sees everything :oops:

Me too in a similar way. I used to leave some of the money in PayPal to buy the postage and other small things.