Selling a fairly high value car privately

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
How would you ?

I have just taken delivery of new company car so in the process of selling my car

Interested on what your experances are with this sort of thing good or bad

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm looking at cars currently, in fact I'm going to see 3 tomorrow, but I'm looking at trade only, mainly due to getting some warranty, some may say I'd get a better deal privately but with p/x's and ex company cars you can pick up as good if not better through the trade,

If you can get what you want selling it to trade I'd do that rather than get all the tyre kickers coming around personally.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always sold my cars privately purely because i can make a bit more than any trade in. However, you do have to have the patience of a saint in dealing with chancers, no-shows and test pilots.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
How would you ?

I have just taken delivery of new company car so in the process of selling my car

Interested on what your experances are with this sort of thing good or bad

Make sure you get cash before you hand over the keys and fill in the bottom part of the log book cut it off and send it to the DVLA. If you don't you could end up with speeding or parking fines.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I've always sold my cars privately purely because i can make a bit more than any trade in. However, you do have to have the patience of a saint in dealing with chancers, no-shows and test pilots.

Exactly what I'm not looking forward to - I'll see how I get on I don't have a lot of patience TBH for this sort of thing - we shall see

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try WE BUY ANY CAR .COM. Just go on line fill in your Reg number and details instant valuation. If the car is in good condition you'll get a good price

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had quotations from them and they are ok at best. Get more privately, but as I said, you have to sift through chaff.

I've tried we buy any car they tend to offer trade prices - so will pursue the private selling I can always resort to back to them if I don't get much luck privately mines an Audi also coincidentally

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sold two cars through WE BUY ANY CAR. The first one was a dog, and pleased to get rid at any price. We got a decent price for the second one, not a million miles away from what we would have got privately.

Worth it not to have the hassle of someone ringing up several times complaining about the car the bought off us weeks before...he was an anorak/train spotter...

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If it were an older car, going for less than a few grand I would be tempted to sell it privately.
Something a lot more expensive I would be inclined to get rid of in the trade.

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Make sure you get cash before you hand over the keys and fill in the bottom part of the log book cut it off and send it to the DVLA. If you don't you could end up with speeding or parking fines.

Also state in the ad, no test drives without valid insurance being shown. I've always sold my cars privately. I quite enjoy the to and fro of agreeing a deal and you'll always get more than through the trade.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm looking to change my car and just tried webuyanycar.com. OK my car has done a few miles but £610 online valuation for a 2008 VW Passat 1.9 TDI 170PS Sport seems a bit on the low side.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Try WE BUY ANY CAR .COM. Just go on line fill in your Reg number and details instant valuation. If the car is in good condition you'll get a good price

That must be a joke, terrible prices....

Anyway, as for the OP, I've always found it worth investing a few extra quid in a decent advert on autotrader or wherever. A few good photos, a detailed description and some info on the repairs /maintenance, ie TLC that you've put into it.

You're looking for a serious buyer willing to spend top money, that serious buyer is also looking for good quality.

You can often use the quality of the advert to get rid of the idiots who are trying to knock the price down on the phone before they've even see the car.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
That must be a joke, terrible prices....

Anyway, as for the OP, I've always found it worth investing a few extra quid in a decent advert on autotrader or wherever. A few good photos, a detailed description and some info on the repairs /maintenance, ie TLC that you've put into it.

You're looking for a serious buyer willing to spend top money, that serious buyer is also looking for good quality.

You can often use the quality of the advert to get rid of the idiots who are trying to knock the price down on the phone before they've even see the car.

I've sold them 2 cars value £3k and £4k and was delighted with both prices they quoted and paid , no hassle advertising, getting paid, or dealing with chancers.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We buy any car is just the start price for the haggle with the dealer. Remember they have at 30% mark up on new cars before VAT. Never pay full RRP push their selling price down and then push up the trade in ... The best discount that we have ever managed is 23% on new. But that is being open to a few colours etc..
Cash buyers don't have an advantage over trade in customers, that is a misnomer.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends what you class as "fairly high value"?? And how much hit you're prepared to take.
When buying or selling a car I'd always try and do it privately you get a better deal both times. If you can put up with the hassle. Places like webuyanycar.com will offer you rock bottom prices IMO. Iv never used it but who really is going to give you good prices for a car they haven't even seen??? Around the same as you would get on a trade in. You are paying them for the convenience of not having to deal with undesirable people expressing interest.
If you're in no rush to sell put it through webuyanycar and get your bottom price then I'd put it up for the price you want on the free/cheaper sites first, gumtree/eBay/pistonheads/Audi forums/Facebook give it a few weeks and see how it goes. Then maybe look into the trade in/webuyanycar.com thing.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends what you class as "fairly high value"?? And how much hit you're prepared to take.
When buying or selling a car I'd always try and do it privately you get a better deal both times. If you can put up with the hassle. Places like webuyanycar.com will offer you rock bottom prices IMO. Iv never used it but who really is going to give you good prices for a car they haven't even seen??? Around the same as you would get on a trade in. You are paying them for the convenience of not having to deal with undesirable people expressing interest.
If you're in no rush to sell put it through webuyanycar and get your bottom price then I'd put it up for the price you want on the free/cheaper sites first, gumtree/eBay/pistonheads/Audi forums/Facebook give it a few weeks and see how it goes. Then maybe look into the trade in/webuyanycar.com thing.

I'm in no rush to sell, have tried facebook - that was a waste of time its now on bay and autotrader, will see how it goes

(Mod Edit, links to online adverts removed, forum isn't to be used to sell private items other than golf equipment and then only in the for sale section )

Last edited by a moderator: