Second injury in 3 months...any thoughts why?

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
I'm new to golf, but really got the bug. I started learning to play golf in June, all was going well while I was learning to hit irons on the range, I then started to learn to hit the driver. This was going fine for a while (very many slices though) but after being told by my instructor my swing was too steep for the driver then thats when the problem seems to have occurred. I went to hit a shot, took the club back and as I started accelerating through the down swing I all of sudden got a pain in my side and had pulled a muscle in my side/chest.

This kept me out of action for about 3 weeks, which was ok as I was on holiday for 3 weeks anyway. I thought this was probably a one off.

So I started again when I got back off holiday. Avoided the woods and driver for a good amount of time, really set to work on irons. Started to hit them really cleanly (for me anyway) I was really ripping the club through and getting 170-180 yards from my 5 hybrid, 160-170 for 6 iron and so on, mainly going straight, sometimes I do pull or hook them, but that seems to be just weight transfer timing which was getting better and better the more balls I hit.

So i then decided to start hitting the woods again, I was having a lesson and we started on the 3 wood, it was going really well, was hitting it 220 yards sometimes but again I was slicing too many, my swing had got a bit steep again, so again I lowered my swing path, and out of the blue with no warning the exact same thing happened again, pulled a muscle when accelerating through the downswing. So again i'm out of action.

I was wondering if this is a common injury, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong thats causing this to happen. It seems to only happen when I purposely make my swing shallower. Is it common for newbies to the game to injure themselves due to incorrect technique?

Its a real shame as I felt I was making great progress and was going to the driving range every day to hit 2 baskets off. Or could this be the reason, am I possibly hitting too many balls?

I'm 39 by the way, never really had any injuries in my life, even when playing lots of tennis, i'm relatively tall 6ft3, relatively fit and healthy.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Google Intercostal muscle. There are varying degrees of injury, with the very worst tears requiring surgery. I am a sufferer unfortunately. It comes and goes. Sometimes pain is unbearable just breathing.

Last edited:

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah sounds like me, when I pulled it, it hurt to breath, coughing was painful, and sneezing is a disaster, which is a bit of pain for me as I am one of them people that sneezes when they go from dark light to bright light, like when walking outside on a sunny day.

Hopefully its not gonna blight my game forever, I took up golf on whim really, thought as I get older it would be nice to have something I can do until i'm well in to retirement.

I will google it and at least then I might be able to spot signs of it happening again

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
Yep, thats exactly it, just googled it.

"These muscles can become strained often as a result of rapid twisting of the torso and are common in sports such as basket ball and tennis"

Looks like I am grade 1 strain, but will definitely have to watch out for this in the future.

Thanks for the reply and shedding some light on it for me.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, I was going through swing changes and in doing so, I pulled/tore the intercostal muscles on my left side, no swinging a club for 4 weeks or more. Best advice I can give is stretch before you start to play or practice. If you're on the range or practicing don't go straight into swing the driver, start with few practice chips/pitches, quarter swing, half swing, three quarter then full swings about half a dozen balls on each, then work up through your bag or the clubs you took and finish on the driver, leave a few balls back to end on pitching, a kind of cool down.

Once your body has got used to the new changes, you'll be fine, till then remember to stretch and warm up thoroughly before swinging.

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
Good advice, thats actually something I dont do, warm up that is. I do tend to hit a few pitch shots first anyway, as it give me a bit of feel, but stretching is definitely a good idea. Will have to look up how to stretch them muscles. Pleased you also seem to be ok after getting used to swing changes.

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I damaged my intercostal muscles not long after taking up golf about 5 years ago. I saw a physio who advised me not to play golf for 6 weeks, which was hard to do after the bug had bitten. After a few weeks I tried swinging the club again but could still feel it causing a bit of pain so I gave it the full 6 weeks rest.

I agree with Khamelion about stretching and warming up. I try to give myself at least 20 minutes warm up before a round, stretching and hitting irons in the nets etc. Even at the range I'll spend 5-10 minutes stretching which gets some strange looks from others as most just seem to start straight into hitting balls.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just recovered from the same injury. Took me about 7 weeks until I could play again (kind of because I made an attempt to play after about two weeks which probably wasn't the best idea...). Went to see a doctor after the second time to see if something was seriously damaged.

Apparently there's not much you can do about it. Stretching is important, as is rest. Exercise only to the point when it starts hurting, and make sure you let it heal completely before you start playing again. When it happens, ice (or rather RICE) is your friend to limit the damage. After a couple of days, warmth and Ibuprofen (or any other anti-inflammatory painkillers) can help speed up recovery (like from 14 days to 12, don't expect wonders...).

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
same think happened to me a few months after taking up golf. I was at the range on a cold winter night when it happened.

I tried to play thru it but i had to stop. It lasted for months as i didn't allow it time to heal. .. .so take heed of that

I remember i had the cold at one point and everytime i sneezed it felt like a hot poker was being driven into my ribs. You have my sympathy pal.

One thing that helped was to raise my arms in the air before sneezing which took the edge of pain, sounds daft but i remember googling how to stop sneezing etc...

It does go away though, i had forgotten about it till i read thread. I have probably changed my swing a bit since then. I am more connected now and arms and body move as one.....back then i was very steep and lashed at the ball with arms and very ott. Not sure if this has helped..but touch wood i dont have any issues with that at all now.

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I damaged neck muscles when one school holiday i started to practise like a nut before going to the USA for a comp, i could not move for 2 days and for 1 week could not even look at a club without pain

The golf swing produces big twisting forces and if you are not used to it, expect muscular injuries

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the advice and information. I will certainly take head of the info provided, especially re not going back too soon and stretches. I think it was probably quite lucky I was on holiday for 3 weeks as I would have probably tried to go back sooner if I was home.

mpluis

Club Champion
Visit site
Your big muscles are your legs, very powerful, don't go jumping and twisting too much, it hurts your swing and your body, especially new to golf, the weight swing game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rest and don't come back too soon. If its a recurring injury, I wonder if you need to warm up properly at the range or before you play or whether there is something more inherently wrong with the swing that's causing the strain and injuries. Wouldn't hurt to speak to a pro and let him have a once over. Hope you're back in the near future

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks. Warming up is a good idea and I wil do it from now on, hopefully it wont be recurring...but who knows.

I have a lesson with a pro every week, in fact it was towards the end of of my lesson that I injured myself. My teacher is Laurie taylor, he's quite old but is very good and has coached some famous people, also coached the European distance driving champion (at least i think it was that) but all in all, he's pretty experienced and is very good. So I have a feeling its just my body isnt used to the kinds coiled spring pressures its going through.

As I mentioned it seems to be when I swing with the driver from shallow. Not sure what the answer is to be fair but maybe i will take a bit off it for the time being.

You are also right though in that it could be through the weight transfer, my hips legs and body move much more naturally with irons, with the driver and woods it feels a little more forced, especially the driver. And it is more me pushing the club through rather than "feeling it" as I do with the irons.