Scottish Fitba'

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Disappointing. Celtic..OK…losing by the odd goal in 7 is no great failure…though blowing a two goal lead is never good. But Rangers losing at home by two and not scoring…does not bode well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
True but playing a far better team in both cases.
So it would seem…but let’s not blame the rest of Scottish football. It is what it has to be and can only be. It’s up to the OF to recognise that they must raise their game when playing European football, and to be able to do it.

Rangers players and team celebrated wildly when they went 2-1 up against St Johnstone last weekend - the game finishing that way. With StJ struggles and failings in the lower echelons of European football these last few weeks the warning bells should have been ringing loud and clear. This is not to dismiss the quality of StJ in Scottish context, but to point it out in the context of Europe.

Truth is…I don’t know what the answer is for the OF. Maybe they can only just plough on and do their best. That said I do wish them well for what is to come in their European campaigns this year.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So it would seem…but let’s not blame the rest of Scottish football. It is what it has to be and can only be. It’s up to the OF to recognise that they must raise their game when playing European football, and to be able to do it.

Rangers players and team celebrated wildly when they went 2-1 up against St Johnstone last weekend - the game finishing that way. With StJ struggles and failings in the lower echelons of European football these last few weeks the warning bells should have been ringing loud and clear. This is not to dismiss the quality of StJ in Scottish context, but to point it out in the context of Europe.

Truth is…I don’t know what the answer is for the OF. Maybe they can only just plough on and do their best. That said I do wish them well for what is to come in their European campaigns this year.
Who's blaming Scottish football??

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So it would seem…but let’s not blame the rest of Scottish football. It is what it has to be and can only be. .

agreed, rangers can barely keep a clean sheet in the spfl so it should be no surprise they cant do it in Europe either

I'dve thought the ideal prep to win in Europe is don't concede goals in the regular games ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Who's blaming Scottish football??
We have heard it enough in the past with OF soundings about a North Sea (or whatever) European league…or indeed just the suggestions that the regular Scottish league is insufficient prep for Europe - though this is true to some extent.

@Slab makes good point. The Rangers defence was pretty shambolic when MO’H waltzed through it for StJs goal last weekend. So, for instance, it’s all very well and good for Tavernier to score a cracker…but his #1 role is in defence.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think fans might have said this, not sure about the clubs.
The proposed euro leagues are about income, especially from TV. Current Sky, BT contracts for Scottish football are a joke.
Rangers and Celtic on every week as there is next to no interest or audience when anyone else is on.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think fans might have said this, not sure about the clubs.
The proposed euro leagues are about income, especially from TV. Current Sky, BT contracts for Scottish football are a joke.
Rangers and Celtic on every week as there is next to no interest or audience when anyone else is on.
Indeed. And yes … the thinking of many of the fans… hmmm. Though Rangers and Celtic have the riches of Croesus compared with the rest of Scottish football and should, you’d think, be able to attract players of significant and sufficient European experience to see them OK in European matches. Anyway. As said - not having a go at the OF as I want them to do well to raise the profile of Scottish football.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Indeed. Though Rangers and Celtic have the riches of Croesus compared with the rest of Scottish football and should, you’d think, be able to attract players of significant and sufficient European experience to see them OK in European matches. Anyway. As said - not having a go at the OF as I want them to do well to raise the profile of Scottish football.

Rangers have done really well in Europe in the last couple of years and Celtic have done well prior to that.
Now they are being written off after one game!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed. And yes … the thinking of many of the fans… hmmm. Though Rangers and Celtic have the riches of Croesus compared with the rest of Scottish football and should, you’d think, be able to attract players of significant and sufficient European experience to see them OK in European matches. Anyway. As said - not having a go at the OF as I want them to do well to raise the profile of Scottish football.
Riches of Croesus compared to the rest of Scottish football but comparative paupers compared to the rest of Europe. Football is a money game on the whole. Every so often a club develops a group of players eg Ajax, that have been brought through but for most of the time money talks and the OF don't have enough of it. That is the reality.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

How was St Johnstone's training on Thursday, seen as they didn't have a game...

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would have been hard work…trying to blend the sublime skills and technique of Efe Ambrose into our defensive system ?. But hey…you never know…

You should spend more time keeping up to date with your own team instead of pretending to be interested in the whole of Scottish football so you can have as many digs as you can at Rangers and Celtic, then you would know (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You should spend more time keeping up to date with your own team instead of pretending to be interested in the whole of Scottish football so you can have as many digs as you can at Rangers and Celtic, then you would know (y)
Unnecessary dig. I thought I have made it clear that in the context of Europe I actually care about the fortunes of the OF - I am not pretending. Which seems more than can be said about many OF supporters about the fortunes of the rest of Scottish football, including the international team - about which they don‘t even pretend to care. And that’s a great pity. Maybe some OF supporters don’t understand that their team need not be the be all and end all of it, and that some supporters of ‘diddy’ clubs might have a less blinkered view.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unnecessary dig. I thought I have made it clear that in the context of Europe I actually care about the fortunes of the OF - I am not pretending. Which seems more than can be said about many OF supporters about the fortunes of the rest of Scottish football, including the international team - about which they don‘t even pretend to care. And that’s a great pity. Maybe some OF supporters don’t understand that their team need not be the be all and end all of it, and that some supporters of ‘diddy’ clubs might have a less blinkered view.

Not unnecessary at all as the rest of your post CLEARLY illustrates i.e. yet ANOTHER dig at fans of Rangers and Celtic!! You are really are a sad, pathetic little man aren't you? It must have been a very long and sad life for you lugging about that chip on your shoulder...

As for you describing yourself as less blinkered...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whatever..
Now, now children!
A bit of decorum please--after all, what would the neighbours think??
What's the answer to poor displays/ results?--Play more games?...practise HARDER?study foreign teams more closely?-tactics/ formations?
I have no instant fix, do any of you??
Can we ( even ) pay continental teams to take some of our players/ youth teamers to train with them for a year/two years-I don't know:unsure:
OR, are we just pish and occasionally lucky??