Scottish Fitba'

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've posted in the PL thread but it may be more appropriate here. Alfie Conn, Scottish player in the 70's. Looked exciting in a game for Spurs but I've never heard of him. Fill in the gaps please, no copy and paste from wikipedia. Why is he not better known?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've posted in the PL thread but it may be more appropriate here. Alfie Conn, Scottish player in the 70's. Looked exciting in a game for Spurs but I've never heard of him. Fill in the gaps please, no copy and paste from wikipedia. Why is he not better known?

No idea but he's well known up here for playing for both Celtic and Rangers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea but he's well known up here for playing for both Celtic and Rangers
I saw that in his wiki profile which is why I thought I'd post here. He seemed to spend a certain amount of time at a club and then moved on, never too long. I wondered if he was one of those flashy players who look great but then don't quite deliver over time. He just caught my eye in that game.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
His dad was a pretty good right back for Hearts in the 1960's
The son was a decent young player but never stepped up.
Not as bad as Peter Marinello but you get the jist. ;)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see the French courts have declared the relegation of the two clubs by the league before all matches were played as illegal
German courts go down the same route as France.
Looks like a 14-10-10-10 is now the only way forward.

Last edited:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
"We cannot, and will not, sit idly by and watch the decisions made in the past few months further damage Heart of Midlothian Football Club," the statement added, addressing the fans.

Nothing to do with your decisions leading to your team being bottom of the league having anything to do with it then.

This is just the first of the legal threats - I hope it costs them a ton of money and every one of them fails.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hearts relegated to a league that will only play 27 games next season
Thistle [who were one point behind the team above them with a game in hand] relegated to a league that may not play at all next season.
That is just wrong.

Hearts suing for £6m compo seemingly.
If they win I hope that the teams who voted against the restructure are the only ones who have to pay.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
A massive effect all the way down the leagues and prevents Brora Rangers and Kelty (I think) the opportunity to go up to the main leagues.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hearts relegated to a league that will only play 27 games next season
Thistle [who were one point behind the team above them with a game in hand] relegated to a league that may not play at all next season.
That is just wrong.

Hearts suing for £6m compo seemingly.
If they win I hope that the teams who voted against the restructure are the only ones who have to pay.

Hearts fan by any chance?

What does it matter how many games is played in a league season?

Do you really believe that the whole of Scottish football should have been restructured just to suit Hearts for one season and not the long term greater good of the game?

There has been 30 games played this season and Hearts have been dire for all of them and are bottom of the league because of that! They need to stop trying to blame everyone else and have a long old look in the mirror and see where the real problem lies!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Hearts fan by any chance?

What does it matter how many games is played in a league season?

Do you really believe that the whole of Scottish football should have been restructured just to suit Hearts for one season and not the long term greater good of the game?

There has been 30 games played this season and Hearts have been dire for all of them and are bottom of the league because of that! They need to stop trying to blame everyone else and have a long old look in the mirror and see where the real problem lies!

The restructuring isn’t just about Hearts though, it goes down the rest of the leagues as well.

Just to be clear, it could be any side sitting bottom and my view would be the same ?

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The restructuring isn’t just about Hearts though, it goes down the rest of the leagues as well.

Just to be clear, it could be any side sitting bottom and my view would be the same ?

Budge is the only one actively pushing for reconstruction and only because their own mistakes and failures throughout the season has seen them at the bottom of the league. Her plans were very short sighted and totally self centred, there was nothing (other than saving Hearts from relegation) to be gained in the long term for the good of the game as a whole.

It's harsh on a good few teams but I only see one club throwing the toys out the pram! If this was something forced through by the SPFL board then yes I would agree with her to an extent but it was a democratic decision made by all the member clubs who she presented her plans to before they voted.

Totally unprecedented times call for unprecedented measures and she and her club would have gained much more respect and kudos accepting it graciously like the other hard done by clubs have (so far anyway)

I see Levein even managed to name Cowdenbeath in his bitter speech about how so called lesser teams would be refused loan players etc from Hearts in the future, the team who gave him his chance in the game all those years ago and yet he chooses to pick on them! What a disrespectful clown!!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Budge is the only one actively pushing for reconstruction and only because their own mistakes and failures throughout the season has seen them at the bottom of the league. Her plans were very short sighted and totally self centred, there was nothing (other than saving Hearts from relegation) to be gained in the long term for the good of the game as a whole.

It's harsh on a good few teams but I only see one club throwing the toys out the pram! If this was something forced through by the SPFL board then yes I would agree with her to an extent but it was a democratic decision made by all the member clubs who she presented her plans to before they voted.

Totally unprecedented times call for unprecedented measures and she and her club would have gained much more respect and kudos accepting it graciously like the other hard done by clubs have (so far anyway)

I see Levein even managed to name Cowdenbeath in his bitter speech about how so called lesser teams would be refused loan players etc from Hearts in the future, the team who gave him his chance in the game all those years ago and yet he chooses to pick on them! What a disrespectful clown!!

I totally see why clubs that wouldn't benefit or even risk a greater risk of relegation in the next season or two wouldn't vote for change just for change sake... But Hearts did have to try. Just shrugging and accepting the financial losses/demotion was never really an option for them

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As much as I have sympathies and a distant mild historical affection for Hearts, I reflect that a club like St Johnstone can successfully complete for Top 6 and even European football year after year on regular home support 1/5th of that of Hearts and nothing like the resources and financial backing of Hearts. And I have to ask what the hearts has gone wrong with Hearts. Whatever it is there is no excuse, and so my sympathy wanes. I have much more sympathy for Partick Thistle and Stranraer.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If Thistle and Hearts win their court case then the likely outcome will be reinstatement of the 'relegated' teams and the league deemed null and void.
This is what has happened in France and Belgium.
I wonder what will happen to prize money and titles.:unsure:
Interesting times ahead.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If Thistle and Hearts win their court case then the likely outcome will be reinstatement of the 'relegated' teams and the league deemed null and void.

And then the previously promoted teams will sue. Etc etc etc. Still could be worse - like baseball where the players and owners are now squabbling over money/games played etc and there will be no 2020 season at all.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is what has happened in France and Belgium.
I wonder what will happen to prize money and titles.:unsure:
Interesting times ahead.

The French & Belgian FA’s forced through the early end to the season and that’s why they lost their court cases whereas Scottish clubs voted democratically for the early end to the season and when your member clubs have all been given a vote and all had equal say! To then turn round and say your taking it to court because you didn’t get the vote you wanted is just a case of spitting out the dummies and one hell of a hissy fit!