Scottish Fitba'

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wouldn't be Scottish football without chaos. Let's hope golf comes back soon....

...in the meantime .... Championeez 9IAR
Btw - I’m really enjoying watching some old footage on YouTube of the great Celtic teams of the 1960s and early 1970s. Some cracking Rangers games as well but Celtic of the period under Stein were absolutely tremendous. And watching Jimmy Johnstone in his prime - what a player...

Also great stuff from Dundee Utd and Aberdeen of the 1980s...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What happened to Rangers’ evidence of skullduggery? I’m a bit behind on this so guessing it didn’t amount to a hill of beans.

Anyway - just checked and StJ 6th place. Another tremendous result for a wee team especially as we had a dreadful start to the season.

Many and sincerest thanks go to Tommy Wright for a fantastic period as St Johnstone manager - possibly the greatest in the clubs history. 5 seasons out of 7 in top 6, European football and Scottish Cup Winners 2014 - who would ever have thunked that :)
Great result for them after the first half dozen games they were favourites for relegation and Tommy was faced with the sack.(y)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Btw - I’m really enjoying watching some old footage on YouTube of the great Celtic teams of the 1960s and early 1970s. Some cracking Rangers games as well but Celtic of the period under Stein were absolutely tremendous. And watching Jimmy Johnstone in his prime - what a player...

Also great stuff from Dundee Utd and Aberdeen of the 1980s...

Watched some of the 1980's Aberdeen stuff, that was some team and manager.
Leighton, Mcleish, Miller, Strachan, Cooper, Black, McGhee, Simpson
Some of Leighton's saves were world class.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s just the situation and completely unfair to say it was tainted. Celtic have done no wrong. Season couldn’t be finished (apparently) so they’ve been awarded the title. Pretty unsatisfactory all round but is what it is.

Spot on, no Celtic fan wanted it called like this, every fan and anyone associated with the club wanted the season played to a finish. No one can deny they didn't deserve it and yes you can argue that mathematically they could have been caught but the results leading up to the lockdown would suggest it wasn't happening. There was every chance if the season went one more week it would have been 16 points clear and 7 games left for Celtic given how poor Rangers were playing.

Anyway, it is what it is. When next season will be is anyone's guess.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s just the situation and completely unfair to say it was tainted. Celtic have done no wrong. Season couldn’t be finished (apparently) so they’ve been awarded the title. Pretty unsatisfactory all round but is what it is.

Seems to be a common phrase that, not won the title.

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Celtic would not only have won the title they would have won it be an even greater margin than the current gap, however that is all semantics. Football like golf is very much on the backburner, also like golf I see a few clubs collapsing and going out of business.

Reactions: Val

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
To be fair Hearts fans really should be pleased that the SPFL have saved them the embarrassment of another "proper" relegation.

How humiliating would it have been to go down under normal "circumstances" four wins from 30 games is utterly horrendous, they should be happy the authorities stepped in and called it on their behalf.

PaulS

Visit site
It's not tainted at all, tainted would suggest something wrong was done.

I think you have missed my point

There have been lots of talk that teams that are given the title because they finish the league now before all games are played should have an asterisk next to the year to signify that the season was not fully completed, not suggesting anything wrong was done to win etc.

It’s the same with the league in Holland or France which has finished already.

Whilst it’s highly unlikely but with 8 games left Rangers could have overtaken Celtic to win - Celtic would have prob extended their lead because of their dominance but for some there will also be that small question.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think you have missed my point

There have been lots of talk that teams that are given the title because they finish the league now before all games are played should have an asterisk next to the year to signify that the season was not fully completed, not suggesting anything wrong was done to win etc.

It’s the same with the league in Holland or France which has finished already.

Whilst it’s highly unlikely but with 8 games left Rangers could have overtaken Celtic to win - Celtic would have prob extended their lead because of their dominance but for some there will also be that small question.

No one has been given the title in Holland, they cancelled the league with Ajax and Alkmaar level on points at the top.

Do they put an asterisk next to the winner of a GP or a cricket game which is cut short?

Reactions: Val

Wolf

Visit site
Yes, as I said, they probably would have won it but we’ll never know for sure.

Agree about clubs collapsing I think Scottish football could look very different it restarts.
That for me is the biggest outtake from all of this. Lots of clubs will be financially impacted to the point of being on the brink of existence which is sad for the fans and for the sport in general.

I do have one question regarding Scottish football and pardon my ignorance, do fans in Scotland still tend to support the team of their locale meaning decent support for less glamorous teams and lower leagues or is it now the bigger teams get more new fans and following now as happens here in England, where most Man Utd fans live inside the M25 & people now seem to choose their allegiance based on a clubs trophy cabinet rather than the club of their family or where they grew up?

Reason I ask that is I personally like the idea of supporting your local team but we see so much less of it South of the border.

U

User62651

I'm neutral in this as an Aberdeen fan, 3rd/4th is normal for us these days and as both get a Europa league place I think, not such a big deal.
I can't readily accept the way they've decided things, it's simply unfinished so can't be concluded as champions/relegated etc, for me it should either be complete the season when it can be done and if that's impossible then void all of the 2019/20 season.
At the top Rangers were 13 behind with a game in hand and a loss of form in 2020 but with football you just dont know, Rangers could have regained form, Celtic could have had a couple of losses, too many ifs buts and maybes for me. That 9 in a row or 10 in a row next year will always be tainted/questioned and argued over as valid or not, the SPFL could have avoided that. Tough on Dundee Utd coming up (if season voided) but that would've been the only fair way - complete or void.