Scottish Fitba'

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Apparently we are in for a rerun of the ridiculous scenes of a few weeks ago as Rangers fans are having another march from Ibrox to George Square. Police response so far has been to encourage businesses popular with the "Irish community" to close for the day, while Glasgow City Council have sent out a tweet asking fans to "please stay away".

Surely if the authorities have got advance notice of an illegal mass gathering which is likely to end up in drunken violence, they should be putting plans in place to stop it?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A point today against Livi sees the Perth Saints in 5th and in Europe for a k/o qualifying game. But do we rest players ahead of Cup Final next weekend as that takes us into European group games - as well as a staggering (for a club like St Johnstone) cup double...and given four players are isolating as two had +ve tests - though now over week ago...

And given covid situation in Glasgow we play at Hampden next weekend with no crowd...many Saints supporters actually thinking no crowd better than a few hundred.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Apparently we are in for a rerun of the ridiculous scenes of a few weeks ago as Rangers fans are having another march from Ibrox to George Square. Police response so far has been to encourage businesses popular with the "Irish community" to close for the day, while Glasgow City Council have sent out a tweet asking fans to "please stay away".

Surely if the authorities have got advance notice of an illegal mass gathering which is likely to end up in drunken violence, they should be putting plans in place to stop it?

I can only hope (and pray) that a minority (and their 'hangers ons') do not bring down the name of the club and the larger majority of 'Real Fans?' by their behaviour,taking alcohol on empty heads,and thinking that somehow they are showing (very much mistakenly) how much the club means to them in what is not only antisocial actions including Covid rule-breaking? and very likely some sort of public disorder offences!
WE should be above this show of machismo, we don't need to prove anything to any others-we've done the business-well, apart from the cups!
Unfortunately, they tarnish us-as do certain sections elsewhere-BUT how do we get rid of ? They seem to be immune to reasoned thought/don't listen to anyone but their own ideas of 'self'/ignore the manager's and players pleas as well as media and Police advice!
Personally I have my own ideas on how to 'show them up' but this action would more than likely be worn as a badge of pride plus I don't see the MODS allowing me to put ny ideas forward!
Anyway,watching the golf so don't know what's going down in Glasgow...but can only hope that sanity prevails?!?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can only hope (and pray) that a minority (and their 'hangers ons') do not bring down the name of the club and the larger majority of 'Real Fans?' by their behaviour,taking alcohol on empty heads,and thinking that somehow they are showing (very much mistakenly) how much the club means to them in what is not only antisocial actions including Covid rule-breaking? and very likely some sort of public disorder offences!
WE should be above this show of machismo, we don't need to prove anything to any others-we've done the business-well, apart from the cups!
Unfortunately, they tarnish us-as do certain sections elsewhere-BUT how do we get rid of ? They seem to be immune to reasoned thought/don't listen to anyone but their own ideas of 'self'/ignore the manager's and players pleas as well as media and Police advice!
Personally I have my own ideas on how to 'show them up' but this action would more than likely be worn as a badge of pride plus I don't see the MODS allowing me to put ny ideas forward!
Anyway,watching the golf so don't know what's going down in Glasgow...but can only hope that sanity prevails?!?
Agreed, But TBPH there would've been exactly the same type of celebrations/shenanigans if Celtic had won Terry Munro.
Fingers crossed sanity prevails, FF.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agreed, But TBPH there would've been exactly the same type of celebrations/shenanigans if Celtic had won Terry Munro.
Made 'quiet' reference to this by 'as do certain sections elsewhere'--tried to be subtle by not directly mentioning them, but have to agree with you!
Again though, we really should show more class at/for our club!!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Don't remember anything similar when Celtic clinched 9 in a row and the treble this time last year.

Yesterday ended up exactly as predicted. I genuinely fail to understand why this was allowed to go ahead. Don't the authorities have the power to ban marches during this pandemic particularly when there is a reasonable prospect of drunken violence?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
What happened in Glasgow yesterday was an absolute joke and rightly condemned.

An indy march is planned next week, let's see if that is allowed to go ahead.

Not that I'm a big fan of indy marches but not sure that would end up with the indy supporters all smashed drunk, attacking each other and then turning on the police and having to be cleared from George Sq at 9pm at night.

But IMO none of these marches/protests etc. should be allowed at present.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The old “we are the peepul” self entitled attitude again wreaking havoc on a city and its innocent people trying to go about their somewhat normal lives at the moment!

Then we get the “whataboutery” lines thrown out to anyone who begins to listen!

Absolutely disgusting behaviour.....AGAIN

Sectarian bile being spouted by thousands again and again in a city centre yet the Scottish government stand back and let them away with it and the club denies it has a problem!

Oh and I’m no Celtic fan, far from it but there were no scenes like this for the last 9 years that they won the league and I can be sure of that because had there been the “whataboutery” would have been in full flow this morning

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Shocking pics in the media from Glasgow

what if SG had announced that if fans turned up in number then he would forfeit the game (or next game for a post match gathering)

Would the fans listen /abide by the law

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't remember anything similar when Celtic clinched 9 in a row and the treble this time last year.

Yesterday ended up exactly as predicted. I genuinely fail to understand why this was allowed to go ahead. Don't the authorities have the power to ban marches during this pandemic particularly when there is a reasonable prospect of drunken violence?
Aye right this was against Aidrie, take of your green tinted glasses, both sides have idiots. There's lots more examples on line

Attachments

• celtic-airdrie-fight-1-e1547993718572celtic fans.jpg
    celtic-airdrie-fight-1-e1547993718572celtic fans.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 16

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not the club's fault.
Knowing what was likely to happen Rangers could have scaled down yesterdays celebrations in the ground...they just encouraged the a-holes gathered outside. But hey - as already noted - no chance of that with the arrogance that is always on show from the wee arra peepil and their sceptic cousins across the city.

Lets see how St Johnstone and their fans celebrate an astonishing cup double when they win the Scottish Cup next weekend. And how the Perth police deal with any gathering outside the ground or in the city centre.

And so for starters the point against Livi yesterday sees St Johnstone 5th in the league and playing in Europe later this year.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Aye right this was against Aidrie, take of your green tinted glasses, both sides have idiots. There's lots more examples on line

I agree there are idiots on both sides, unfortunately your club seems to have far more of them than the rest of Scottish football combined.

Not sure where you dug that picture up from or what it is supposed to be showing, but I seriously doubt it's thousands of Celtic fans on a pre-planned illegal march during a pandemic which is descending into drunken thuggery. Like it or not, your support has a well-earned reputation for this sort of thing - remember Manchester?

Thank God for St Johnstone, or no doubt last night's events would have had a 3rd rerun after the Scottish Cup Final.

And as for the club being blameless, interesting video from yesterday showing the players drinking indoors at Ibrox with fans after the game - isn't this still illegal in Scotland?

Reactions: Val

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Shocking pics in the media from Glasgow

what if SG had announced that if fans turned up in number then he would forfeit the game (or next game for a post match gathering)

Would the fans listen /abide by the law
Interesting suggestion but, would it be workable?..While I agree that something drastic has to be done to sort out these 'so called SUPPORTERS(?)' !
All this 'chip on the shoulder' crap and 'wearrthepeeple' for God's sake-grow up you morons-don't you realise (OR DON'T YOU CARE?) about the damage you're doing and the ammo you're handing to not just certain factions but bloody everyone,everywhere (had cousin from Maryport/Cumbria call me saying 'see your lot are still at it! And worse, was laughing-humiliating)
Don't know what would sort this, but would be willing to try the forfeiture of games route/any point in large financial penalties for the club/ or those identified,lifted?(probably not this one as could be seen as badge of pride to the warped minds/make them martyrs for some 'only they can identify cause')--I Give In - Head hurts!
Even my next door neighbour has said that her dad (like me was a season ticket man) would be 'turning in his grave' how bloody sad is that?
Still the bright side is that Rudebhoy was up nice and early to pass comment,it's great some take a real interest. Isn't it??
Some good comments from others though!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Interesting suggestion but, would it be workable?..While I agree that something drastic has to be done to sort out these 'so called SUPPORTERS(?)' !
All this 'chip on the shoulder' crap and 'wearrthepeeple' for God's sake-grow up you morons-don't you realise (OR DON'T YOU CARE?) about the damage you're doing and the ammo you're handing to not just certain factions but bloody everyone,everywhere (had cousin from Maryport/Cumbria call me saying 'see your lot are still at it! And worse, was laughing-humiliating)
Don't know what would sort this, but would be willing to try the forfeiture of games route/any point in large financial penalties for the club/ or those identified,lifted?(probably not this one as could be seen as badge of pride to the warped minds/make them martyrs for some 'only they can identify cause')--I Give In - Head hurts!
Even my next door neighbour has said that her dad (like me was a season ticket man) would be 'turning in his grave' how bloody sad is that?
Still the bright side is that Rudebhoy was up nice and early to pass comment,it's great some take a real interest. Isn't it??

I just think something meaningful must be done to show that football fans (of any team) cannot operate outside the law en-masse. That they cannot ignore instructions from gov, police & their own clubs, with impunity and that there will be ramifications

It was perhaps an opportunity that may not present itself again in a lifetime
If the game is forfeited neither of the two teams would unduly benefit or suffer due to league positions, no third party team would benefit or suffer
No consideration needed to be given for fans in attendance/traveling fans due to covid ban

The only thing at stake was a possible unbeaten league season (which doesn't carry a trophy) and a forfeit would set a serious marker/example against future similar actions

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Strange post - am I not allowed to comment because I'm a Celtic supporter? If you look back to yesterday morning, you will see I predicted exactly what was going to happen and questioned why the authorities were allowing it to go ahead.

I don't take any satisfaction from what unfolded. The march should have been banned, and anyone who tried to take part should have been warned, and if they persisted, arrested, charged, convicted and given 6 months in the jail. That's the only thing that is going to stop this behaviour.

Graham Speirs (respected journalist who was brought up a Rangers fan) sums it up well

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I just think something meaningful must be done to show that football fans (of any team) cannot operate outside the law en-masse. That they cannot ignore instructions from gov, police & their own clubs, with impunity and that there will be ramifications

It was perhaps an opportunity that may not present itself again in a lifetime
If the game is forfeited neither of the two teams would unduly benefit or suffer due to league positions, no third party team would benefit or suffer
No consideration needed to be given for fans in attendance/traveling fans due to covid ban

The only thing at stake was a possible unbeaten league season (which doesn't carry a trophy) and a forfeit would set a serious marker/example against future similar actions

maybe if the club said that anyone convicted of an offence in relation to the march would be banned from Ibrox, that might have dissuaded a sizeable proportion from turning up?