Scottish Fitba'

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Riches of Croesus compared to the rest of Scottish football but comparative paupers compared to the rest of Europe. Football is a money game on the whole. Every so often a club develops a group of players eg Ajax, that have been brought through but for most of the time money talks and the OF don't have enough of it. That is the reality.
Probably the last 5 or six times Celtic have been knocked out of Europe is by teams with less money than them. Rangers got knocked out this year by a team with a smaller budget.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now, now children!
A bit of decorum please--after all, what would the neighbours think??
What's the answer to poor displays/ results?--Play more games?...practise HARDER?study foreign teams more closely?-tactics/ formations?
I have no instant fix, do any of you??
Can we ( even ) pay continental teams to take some of our players/ youth teamers to train with them for a year/two years-I don't know:unsure:
OR, are we just pish and occasionally lucky??
I don’t think the game is that bad in Scotland and I don’t think it should take much for the OF to become more consistent in Europe - they are, or at least have been, pretty competitive those last few years. Unfortunately I don’t know the answer, but one of your suggestions has me reflecting about Jack Hendry at Club Brugge, and his claiming a place in the international team - and him looking pretty darned useful. It’s the inconsistency and failures against teams that they should really be beating is what is frustrating and disappointing for supporters of Scottish football.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don’t think the game is that bad in Scotland and I don’t think it should take much for the OF to become more consistent in Europe - they are, or at least have been, pretty competitive those last few years. Unfortunately I don’t know the answer, but one of your suggestions has me reflecting about Jack Hendry at Club Brugge, and his claiming a place in the international team - and him looking pretty darned useful. It’s the inconsistency and failures against teams that they should really be beating is what is frustrating and disappointing for supporters of Scottish football.

Hendry was awful at Celtic, and hasn't been much better for Scotland. Have you forgotten that ridiculous shot he had from 30-odd yards that lead directly to the Czech lad scoring from halfway? Marshall got most of the blame, but Hendry was the last man and should never have tried that. If he has done well in Belgium, the Belgian league must be worse than the spl.

As for Celtic the other night, it was the story of the season so far. Great going forward, can't defend to save their lives. I really like Ange and the football he's got them playing, but he really needs to sort that defence out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably the last 5 or six times Celtic have been knocked out of Europe is by teams with less money than them. Rangers got knocked out this year by a team with a smaller budget.
I guess then it depends by how much. If it is marginal then sometimes the OF should win, sometimes they will lose. That is the way of it. If the budgets are massively different then the excuses go out of the window.

Without using Google I'd expect the OF to have similar incomes to the Scandinavian, possibly Greek teams. They are the ones to be judged against. I don't follow Scottish football enough to know how things stack up there.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Europe - they are, or at least have been, pretty competitive those last few years. Unfortunately I don’t know the answer, but one of your suggestions has me reflecting about Jack Hendry at Club Brugge, and his claiming a place in the international team - and him looking pretty darned useful. It’s the inconsistency and failures against teams that they should really be beating is what is frustrating and disappointing for supporters of Scottish football.[/QUOTE]
SILH...This is what I mean-are we too parochial?/need to open our minds more to different ideas?/new methods?
And please don't throw the old one about..'You tried it before with Advocaat and Le Guen and look where that got you-massively into debt and absolutely nowhere/either at home OR in Europe' at me....I was there and watched it all unfold:cry:
Patience, long term project??...Or just some really, really good young players - a la Best, Daglish, Baxter, MacKay type players ?? ..And anyway, where are they??
Think I'll just go and paint the fence! ..Saves me getting sore head thinking about this:whistle:.........BTW--am not just referring to my team here ( Govan Gods:D)

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can't see all twenty of them protesting and walking out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Think they'll want their money back??
Can see where they're coming from though as P.G. as manager came in promising a lot, delivering little and has apparently peed off the dressing room AND more importantly THE FANS with his ( lack of ) communication skills(n)
Is the board ready to give him The ( dreaded ) Vote of Confidence??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Decent away win by StJ against Aberdeen, seeing Efe Ambrose slot pretty comfortably into central defence taking place of Jason Kerr now departed. Who’d have thunk it…Efe Ambrose in StJ ?.

And great to see Stevie May score as he’s been under a lot of pressure…at times it must be a bit tough being a club legend…with fans expectations of you based upon previous glories.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
still think the top floor in Govan have made a right PR dogs dinner of the Sutton/ Lennon 'security'? thing and it's coming back to bite them in the backside with TV coverage coming from a TV studio at an EMPTY Parkhead--so much for being right on the spot and capturing the atmosphere of the Rangers vs Sparta Prague Euro tie on Nov. 4th!
Nice case of BT saying 'Our sponsorship/ our money-YOU do it our way'.....and.dare I say...stop being pathetic and petty! Bit embarrassing eh, Rangers HOME game from Parkhead:poop:??
Not doing too well in the PR stakes are we-what with barring the BBC, wanting paid for/selected ass-kissers at media conferences/??(n)
Some good articles in the media about the outbreak of 'control-freakery' in Govan!
Think the board would do well to remember that the media can be a 'great friend....and a very bad enemy--Stein, Shankly, Ferguson, the 'Blessed Martin' were past masters at using them.
OOPS,...missed out The Walter!!

Last edited: