School dinner favourites

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hated school dinners and was so glad when I was able to switch to take sandwiches each day.
And I was just old enough to have been force-fed that disgusting school milk when I first started too. Put me off drinking milk for life.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Primary School dinners were just mega - my mum was the Head Cook :) Favourites? Her 'home'-made caramel shortbread - and of course she shared out left-overs with the kitchen team - and we got some also. The steam puddings with custard were also great - not so much of a fan of tapioca or semolina which also had to take their turn...

RichA

Visit site
My Primary School dinners were just mega - my mum was the Head Cook :) Favourites? Her 'home'-made caramel shortbread - and of course she shared out left-overs with the kitchen team - and we got some also. The steam puddings with custard were also great - not so much of a fan of tapioca or semolina which also had to take their turn...
... and you've just made me think of butterscotch pudding, which will probably still be affecting my appetite in 4 hours.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Semolina with jam or chocolate sprinkles.

Quiche Lorraine, although didnt eat it afterwards for about 10 years, as didnt know what it was - 70's junior school.

I didnt eat them in seniors 81-86, pocketed the £1 a day dinner money and went the match on the weekend. Played footy every dinner hour instead - wish I had that waist line now.

PS Lenny Jago had far to many "seconds", but as he was cock of the junior school, no-one complained.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id like to thank Jamie Oliver for ruining school meals (making them healthier) the year before I started high school.... the main event was always simply horrendous - I lived off jacket potatos and tuna.

Favourite pudding was a classic plain sponge, topped with jam and shaved coconut - and custard! OH YESSSSS!

I work in a school now - things havent got any better :ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We used to have a table of 16 served by two waiters ( 4th formers ) with portions served by 6th formers . The waiters got their dinners last but had to finish first to clear away everybody plates and get the courses in. I loved being a waiter as we got all the that was left on the serving tray/dish after all the "I do not want any of that" I managed to wangle two years as one.

The only thing I ever disliked at school was the skin top of blancmange or cold custard.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I hated school dinners and was so glad when I was able to switch to take sandwiches each day.
And I was just old enough to have been force-fed that disgusting school milk when I first started too. Put me off drinking milk for life.

Ditto...thinking about the slurping noise of the last few drops of room temperature milk going up the straw still makes me feel a bit queasy even now!?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ditto...thinking about the slurping noise of the last few drops of room temperature milk going up the straw still makes me feel a bit queasy even now!?
Milk was for morning break in my school - the wee tetrahedrons were a clever design - neatly fitting in the big orange hexagonal crates that I used to help the Jannie lug around the school to leave outside every classroom every morning before school started.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
One of me Bessie pals at school, his mum was a Chef and server at comp. You bust a gut to be at the side of him, especially on a Friday, fish and chip day. She always had the best fish for him and his bessies. i had some stonkers. Friday usually meant chocolate sponge with chocolate custard. Manchester tart, hmmmmmm, cornflake tart. Dear lord Ave put a stone on.
we used to pay 12 1/2 pence a day for a token. Payable on Monday. Mum alaways checked we had bought the tokens. But if dinner was rammel,we would flog the tokens and go to the chippy. i Would sell a token, me pal would and we would buy a crusty bloomer loaf, a large bag of chips and 2 cans of coke. Break the loaf in half, take out the bread and pile it full of chips. The best chip butty in the world.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce - yes please. I could have lived on it.

But pink semolina? Awful stuff. And as for the morning milk at primary school - was that even milk? Disgusting.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I quite liked school dinners. Especially the puddings. JRP and custard.
Most things and custard. Loved custard. Remember one time I went up for "sixths" of custard. I was quite glad all you blokes didn't like it?

I also like the morning milk, especially in winter when it ( the milk) was cold.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any of the sponges made in those big trays with lashings of custard. Treacle sponge, chocolate sponge (with chocolate custard), jam and coconut topped sponge...

I'd stand in the queue eyeing up the biggest square and try to persuade the server to put it in my bowl!

Hated anything with dried fruit and suet type sponges plus rice pudding, semolina etc.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing specific I can recollect... But, perhaps as it was being served fairly regularly [being cheap I suspect] I've always loved stuffed hearts... For the same reason [probably] I've always hated prunes... The mere smell of them makes me wretch... As for the milk, probably because it wasn't refrigerated, always tasted a bit iffy in the warmer months especially after it got supplied in those awful tetra packs...

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Milk was for morning break in my school - the wee tetrahedrons were a clever design - neatly fitting in the big orange hexagonal crates that I used to help the Jannie lug around the school to leave outside every classroom every morning before school started.

Yes it was morning break...mini bottles of sliver top left out side by the caretaker. Some kids loved it, guzzling down any spares, Ugh!

Primary school dinners were pretty forgettable apart from sometimes getting a Tottenham cake with pink custard for afters. ?

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Chicken and chorizo on rice, coronation chicken and braised steak and peppercorn sauce are faves along with sticky toffee pudding or angel delight for pudding ?