SB&T V's Slight Arc Putting Stoke

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
My opinion of the putting stroke is that whatever works is a good one. My average over the last 50 rounds is 1.9 putts per hole, well below the average for my handicap (26). However, my putts per GIR average is >2.5. I find it frustrating that, on the rare occasions I hit GIR, I fluff the par chance with a three putt.

I was fitted for my putter by PING, using the iPING app. This identified that I putted with a strong arc. However, my alignment was not good and since then I have improved my setup and putting consistency and the iPING app now measures me as a slight arc putter.

To attempt to address my putts per GIR average I had a putting lesson. The pro was happy with the setup of my putter but cited my stroke as the cause of my missed putts. After adjusting my putting grip, widening my stance and setting up much closer to the ball he showed me how to putt with a straight back and through stroke.

My question is if, as the pro claims, a straight back and through stroke is the most consistent why do people, having identified that their stroke is an arc, persist with it?

Also, PING fit putters to stroke. Will a putter fitted for a strong arc work against at SB&T stroke?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My opinion of the putting stroke is that whatever works is a good one.

My question is if, as the pro claims, a straight back and through stroke is the most consistent why do people, having identified that their stroke is an arc, persist with it?

I think you answered you question before you'd even asked it. It's whatever works for you.

However, I do agree that there are dangers with some styles that can lead to mediocre results. A strong arc will rely on consistent ball positioning for a repeatable outcome, unlike the straight thro' putt in which you can be a little out but still putt down the same line.

Open and closed stances create a similar problem, i.e. a potential to push and pull the putt.

For me, its about being as neutral as possible. Square stance, weight evenly distributed & a straight back and thro' putt. anything quirky just adds another variable that can go wrong on an off day.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This doesn't really help answer the question, but I've never understood how 'straight back and through' works.

It's generally accepted that having your eyes directly over the ball is best.
If your eyes are over the ball then your shoulders are inside the line.
How do you keep the putter on the ball-target line when it's a foot or two behind the ball (backswing) without reaching with your arms?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh, and I have a slight arc stroke according to the Ping app (around 4.5°) but putt best with a face balanced putter (allegedly suited to SBST).