LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So what we need is more of it, on steroids. That will make things OK.
BigDraw makes a fair point - the PGA Tour is in no position to push the ethical point on Saudi involvement.
But the point is a red herring anyway - some people and press may be pushing that element, but the PGA Tour is not. It is unfair to label them hypocritical when they are not making the claim to be clean, and LIV be Saudi tainted.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The word and phrase ‘whataboutery’ has been bandied around a lot on this thread….Another word is ‘context’ —-and examples cited in this thread about companies related to the PGA Tour, about the IOC having the Olympics in Beijing, about Russia getting the World Cup, about F1, about the ET Saudi event etc etc are to contextualise what is - and has been - happening

Providing context and nuance to relatively complicated societal developments is needed - simply claiming ‘whataboutery’ is knee-jerk twitter-esq speak
?

I explained my point in a way I thought was pretty clear. Let me know if you didn't get it, and I will try again.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You’d think that somebody would have spotted the opportunity earlier tbh.
It's possible/likely that they have and rejected it as the stupid and irrelevant idea is - for their format that is 99.99% individual!

It's not 'filling a gap'! In LIV's case, it's a manufactured idea that's solely for differentiation with other tours that is virtually an irrelevance to what happens on the golf course - no different to the Shotgun start. It's only the commentators constant referral to it, obviously something stressed in their instructions, that maintains any awareness of it - which I'd sooner not have. Probably, not a bad 'bonding' exercise off the course though.

Change is bad eh?
Some are, and this (LIV Teams) is an example that I wish would go away/lose emphasis!
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

The counter-argument is 'Why hasn't this happened before now?'! And the answer, apart from 'real' team events such as Ryder Cup etc, is that it's a naff idea!

Last edited:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
The moral aspect is something that we need to move on from in this discussion, the list could be endless for everyone’s moral compass, kill animals just so we can eat their meat, drink Russian vodka, supporting the war against Ukraine, buying consumer goods from china, supportive the regime for child labour, Don’t go to Dubai, built on slavery, the list could go on and on, judging by this thread there are a lot of people living like absolute angels who don’t put a foot out of place.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well in reality, the bit that’s worth watching is only 36 holes anyway. Cut after day 1, then 2x18 hole rounds - why not, it wouldn’t make any difference to the final outcome.

Do you actually believe half the stuff you post ?

3 round majors is the sort of thing Norman would love - prob would have stopped his 4th round failures in the Masters

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Things need to change in the majors - they have to be refreshed at this stage. 54 holes would be just part of an evolution to teams as part of a longer term plan. Teams chosen for each major by the respective organisation running it. Then a league table according to the performance of each of those teams in the 4 majors each year. A shotgun start on the 3rd day would widen the appeal beyond todays older profile of golf fan, and bring in the youth that are essential to growing the game. The winning team would become the real focus of the majors rather than the individuals lifting dusty silverware that has been going since men won then using hickory shafts.

D

Deleted member 3432

I quite like the idea of shorter tournaments, let's get back to the Open being played with a final day of 36 holes just like it was until 1966.

May even speed up play......

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I explained my point in a way I thought was pretty clear. Let me know if you didn't get it, and I will try again.

Try again, because the last one was rubbish. Include in your answer an explanation of whether you think that companies who trade with Saudi are ethically doing the same thing as LIV Tour taking state funding.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Things need to change in the majors - they have to be refreshed at this stage. 54 holes would be just part of an evolution to teams as part of a longer term plan. Teams chosen for each major by the respective organisation running it. Then a league table according to the performance of each of those teams in the 4 majors each year. A shotgun start on the 3rd day would widen the appeal beyond todays older profile of golf fan, and bring in the youth that are essential to growing the game. The winning team would become the real focus of the majors rather than the individuals lifting dusty silverware that has been going since men won then using hickory shafts.

Stop taking those drugs. None of that will ever happen. Thank God*.

*Not a statement of belief there is one.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
The moral aspect is something that we need to move on from in this discussion, the list could be endless for everyone’s moral compass, kill animals just so we can eat their meat, drink Russian vodka, supporting the war against Ukraine, buying consumer goods from china, supportive the regime for child labour, Don’t go to Dubai, built on slavery, the list could go on and on, judging by this thread there are a lot of people living like absolute angels who don’t put a foot out of place.

Sportswashing 101 right there

D

Deleted member 1147

Well in reality, the bit that’s worth watching is only 36 holes anyway. Cut after day 1, then 2x18 hole rounds - why not, it wouldn’t make any difference to the final outcome.
Is that Greg’s official line?
Because it’s a load of ?