LIV Golf

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The coverage of the press conference yesterday looks like a car crash.

I think the LIV lot should stop doing press if they don't want to bring this whole sport-washing facade down on top of them. The LIV golfers need something more convincing than 'we are just here to play golf '. It's not to get any better when they pitch up at the first Trump venue either.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The coverage of the press conference yesterday looks like a car crash.

I think the LIV lot should stop doing press if they don't want to bring this whole sport-washing facade down on top of them. The LIV golfers need something more convincing than 'we are just here to play golf '.

I havent been approached yet, but if I am, subject to the non disclosure conditions, I will let you know as much as possible.

54 holes is just so fantastic. Its the game changer for me. Add in the teams element, and well, I think we have the perfect sport. I am just so grateful to Saudi Arabia for doing such a great job for golf, and giving it a massive global boost, and wrenching it from the protective exclusive control of the American. Saudi is a really lovely country too, if you havent visited, you should. The people are delightful and so open.

The people will put their hand out to greet you. OK, it will have a large sword in it .......

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
rksquire, how is the DP a loser in anyway ? What has changed for it ? It wasnt in the league of the world top 50 players, which is LIVs target, anyway.
Its a regional, second division, tour, with a side role of feeder channel to the PGA. This move will enhance its link and cooperation with the PGa, increasing field quality, points, and standing. Not a lot. But anything is an improvement for them.

It's only my perception of the 'strategic alliance', I actually hope it's the opposite of what I think but I just don't see the additional mutual benefits to the DPWT. But, as to how I'm perceiving it, how is DP a loser in anyway?... because:

* DPWT was probably the second best show in town in terms of field quality - it's now third. This weekend, despite it being the Irish Open (my home Open), it will be 4th. Because some of the best players in the world (9 of the top 10) are playing at Adare Manor. At Mount Juliet top billing belongs to Shane Lowry (very supportive of his home Open) and Alex Fitzpatrick because he's someone's brother.
* PGA Tour has increased stake in European Tour Productions (now 40%), giving up some control is only good as long as the plan is clear. The lack of clarity about what this means is slightly worrying, I can concede this might lead to better publicity for the DPWT in the USA, but only to the extent I believe it will be hyping the incoming 'talent'
* Access to the Barracuda and Barabosol tournaments..... events coincidentally on at the same time as the DPWTs prestigious Scottish Open and The Open, but sure DPWT players will bite our hands off to play rather than playing in the Scottish Open, because....
* PGA Tour co-sanction the Scottish Open to ensure their membership have access to FED EX points and massive purse money the week before the Open. And there's space because the DPWT players aren't playing because they're enjoying 2 weeks in the USA
*"DP World Tour members will now have direct and formal access to the pinnacle of men's professional play on the PGA TOUR". No mistaking who the boss is here.
*Top Ten players in the DPWT rankings earn PGA Tour cards for the following season - excellent! - except in practice, because other events count than actual sole DPWT events (the WGC events and the Majors and the Co-Sanctioned events) so based on last year this would have resulted in cards being handed to Nicolai Hojgaard. And that's it. So the Top 10 DPWT Rankings is dominated by PGA Tour players by season end already but even if there is a potential rising star he immediately gets away to pastures new and untold riches.
*All of the above signed away until 2035!

Is the DPWT a loser.... maybe not, but I don't see them as winners and at best they are standing still. They had an opportunity to come to the table and make a move - morally it might have been wrong, but it absolutely would have given them some bargaining power with the PGA Tour to strike a better deal. I just don't like words like 'enhance' or 'expansion' in the press release because it's misleading; the reality is it is all (okay, mostly), to the benefit of the PGA Tour.

D

Deleted member 21445

I'm sure Liv scheduled this week against the John Deere classic on purpose.

They have a legitimate argument for having the stronger field with names like Dustin Johnson, Bryson, Brooks, Mickleson, Garcia, Ancer, Reed etc

Certainly way more past major winners..

Visit site
Has anyone seen the Perez, Koepka, Reed presser?

Watch it and it will tell you everything you need to know about 54 and the individuals who have jumped.

At least Perez admitted it was about the cash. But tried to get sympathy for having to decide whether or not to spend $150k on a private jet to be at the birth of his child, as he was forced to play an event as he was 121st in the FedEx.

Even Reed looked sheepish at some of the stuff the other two were saying.

They are all absolutely spineless. Koepka barely managing a sentence aside from “opinions change and my opinion changed and that’s because opinions can change and mine changed so my opinion changed”

It is like this mystery tour where none of them can explain why they went over. Or they are in denial with themselves about the reason.

Visit site
My heart bleeds with sympathy for Matt Wolff here.

23 year old multi millionaire who just wants some time off, ya know? And the hard luck of having a swing coach living in California, whilst choosing to be based in Florida for tax reasons. The poor soul.
FWXxiWlVsAM1qOz

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Some stats here on strength of field across the tours so far this year.
Portland will have a stronger line up than any DPWT events thus far, and 5 of those events played on the PGA Tour.
https://datagolf.com/field-strength-table
Ooh! How was the flight/were the flights? ;)
No surprise they chose this date. It's being played at a time when non-LIV players are preparing for The Open by playing The Irish Open - unavailable to LIV members. JD's Strength of Field rating is projected at 54 compared with The Irish Open's 126, so certainly NOT higher rated than the DPWT event it coincides with!
And LIV's 'battle' is not against the DPWT. It's against the PGAT!

FWIW. I happened across this list

Top 10 Most Disliked Golfers
  • Patrick Reed.
  • Brooks Koepka.
  • Tiger Woods..
  • Phil Mickelson.
  • Vijay Singh.
  • Ian Poulter.
  • Rory Sabbatini.
  • Bryson DeChambeau.
  • Ben Hogan.
  • Sergio Garcia.
Btw. I'd be interested in your explanation of how the link you quoted works. I wouldn't be surprised if you've actually simply been provided with both the stats and the claim, as the ones on the screen that pops up indicates naff-all to me (and, having worked with stats for several years, I generally know how to read/analyse charts). The player section is more self-descriptive to me and simply reflects what has been pretty obvious for some time. DJ and BdC are the highest ranked LIV participants - at 17th and 31st resp!

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Ooh! How was the flight/were the flights? ;)
No surprise they chose this date. It's being played at a time when non-LIV players are preparing for The Open by playing The Irish Open - unavailable to LIV members. JD's Strength of Field rating is projected at 54 compared with The Irish Open's 126, so certainly NOT higher rated than the DPWT event it coincides with!
And LIV's 'battle' is not against the DPWT. It's against the PGAT!

FWIW. I happened across this list

Top 10 Most Disliked Golfers
  • Patrick Reed.
  • Brooks Koepka.
  • Tiger Woods..
  • Phil Mickelson.
  • Vijay Singh.
  • Ian Poulter.
  • Rory Sabbatini.
  • Bryson DeChambeau.
  • Ben Hogan.
  • Sergio Garcia.

Tiger beats Mickelson again!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It's Official the DPWT is now one step below the Korn Ferry Tour, will lose up to top 10 players every year to the PGA.

Indeed. Korn Ferry Tour gets 30 cards for the PGA each year, as against 10 for the DPWT.
I suspect Pelley will be rewarded with a position on the PGA Tour in the not too distant future for his “efforts” while running the DPWT.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/61989836

Interesting piece with Westwood on the Ryder Cup here. Telling that he’s calling it the European tour rather than towing the line and calling it the dp world tour, bit of annoyance I’d say.

Have to be honest, if the LIV players did get picked for the RC I’m not sure I could cheer them on. It’s why I struggle to support England in the football, most of the players are rivals every week and I can’t switch that off!